Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Display a Random Quote On Your Home Screen With 'SpringQuote'

Default Display a Random Quote On Your Home Screen With 'SpringQuote'

Normally, customizing iOS is done by changing the appearance or sound of something, such as theming icons, changing the color of an element, or just hiding and showing certain things. A new tweak aims to further your customization in a more personal way. Dubbed SpringQuote by iOS developer greensnow, the new tweak can display a random quote at the top of your home screen. It includes some customization as well.

Quotes seem to be a more feminine way of expressing yourself, so just a heads-up, this tweak may appeal to girls more so than the guys out there.

The tweak displays the quote at the top of the home screen and it pushes the application icons down slightly in the same way they would react if your status bar were doubled in size like it does when you begin tethering your cellular connection. The good news is, since the tweak only shows the quote on the home screen, the pushing down effect only happens on the home screen and doesn’t affect applications the same way, so you should not have any problems with interfaces in apps.

As you are on your home screen, the quote will scroll right to left, just like the stocks widget in Notification Center does. As it scrolls off the screen, a new quote will appear and scroll into view. It picks the quotes randomly from a database that the developer created and users can submit new quotes to be added from the preferences pane in the Settings application, which is shown below:

Apart from being able to submit your own quotes, the tweak can be enabled and disabled at any time and you can also select the color of the text of the quote. Being able to change the text color can help the text appear better on certain wallpapers. The colors you have to choose from are:
    • Green
    • Red
    • Black
    • Purple
    • Orange
    • White
    • Pink
    • Yellow
    • Cyan
    • Blue
    • Gray
    • Dark Gray
    • Invisible (strange to have this, but it's an option)
    • Random

Functionally, the tweak isn’t going to do anything to improve what your device can do, rather it’s just a cosmetic effect. SpringQuote is a free jailbreak tweak, so if you’re the kind of person that likes seeing quotes, it could be worth checking out. The developer has submitted version 3.0 of SpringQuote and it should be live in Cydia's ModMyi repository shortly.

Name: SpringQuote
    Price: FREE
    Version: 2.0
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: greensnow
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Thanks

He spelled greensnow (his own code name) wrong in the PreferenceBundle.

My iPhone is a Part of Me korbyn8495's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    He spelled greensnow (his own code name) wrong in the PreferenceBundle.
    At least it's a kind of cool tweak though. It's a nice quirky little thing.

Follow me on Twitter for updates and freebie themes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by korbyn8495 View Post
    At least it's a kind of cool tweak though. It's a nice quirky little thing.
    True.

Version 3.0 is live now. The tweak now gives you the option to select a quote database (the quotes contained pertain to the database subject you select) and there are 4 to choose from. The one you select are the quotes you're going to see:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's cute. I think I'll go get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Agree with ya may give this a try myself

Is there an option to have ONLY your own quotes?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's a feminine way of expressing yourself? I wonder if you had your genius cap on when you thought of that one......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHurt View Post
    Is there an option to have ONLY your own quotes?
    There is, but you'll have to delete a database. Delete one of the files you don't use at /var/mobile/SpringQuotes/ (Funny&Random.db, Love&Life.db, Geeky.db, or Wisdom.db).
    Then run the following commands(replace DNAME with the name of the database you just deleted, case sensitive):
    cd /var/mobile/SpringQuotes
    sqlite3 DNAME.db << EOF
    CREATE TABLE "quotes" (
    "id" INTEGER PRIMARY KEY ON CONFLICT ROLLBACK AUTOINCREMENT NOT NULL,
    "quote" TEXT
    );
    EOF

Then you can add quotes to the database you just made.
    Last edited by Aehmlo; 08-17-2012 at 12:19 AM.

"Quotes seem to be a more feminine way of expressing yourself, so just a heads-up, this tweak may appeal to girls more so than the guys out there."

Lol serious? Wow, who let's these guys write? I loved my quote app when I had Android. Had quotes from various Philosophers and people I admire like Bruce Lee and Abe Lincoln. I'll give this a go (I'm a guy).

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    That's cute. I think I'll go get it.
    I agree with you and I love your dancing baby penguin... I had to have it

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneMadness View Post
    "Quotes seem to be a more feminine way of expressing yourself, so just a heads-up, this tweak may appeal to girls more so than the guys out there."

Lol serious? Wow, who let's these guys write? I loved my quote app when I had Android. Had quotes from various Philosophers and people I admire like Bruce Lee and Abe Lincoln. I'll give this a go (I'm a guy).
    👍👍 two thumbs up