+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Clues from Korean Carriers That New iPhone is LTE Ready

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default More Clues from Korean Carriers That New iPhone is LTE Ready

As if we require another chunk of evidence that the next generation iPhone will support LTE connectivity, here it is. According to well-placed sources speaking with The Korea Times, support for Long Term Evolution is coming next month with the 6th-gen iPhone's release.

"SK Telecom and KT are in talks to offer long-term evolution (LTE) connectivity on Apple’s next handset," the report reads. If sources close to the Korean carriers are correct, Apple is actively pursuing relationships and partnerships with appropriate carrier networks to bring the iPhone's LTE ambitions to fruition.

"KT is in negotiation with Apple to persuade the latter to support KT’s 1.8-gigahertz frequency in Korea for the upcoming iPhone,’’ one KT source told the Times while refusing to be publicly identified.

The company, which joined the race for LTE-enabled smartphones later rivals SK and LG, is trying to persuade Apple to have its new iPhone support LTE connectivity, according to KT officials.
    As MMi has reported in recent days, current plans allegedly call for the new iPhone to be introduced at an Apple media event on or around September 12th.

Source: The Korea Times

iPhone? More like MyPhone Host_Killer's Avatar
    Thanks

No offense... But it would be suicide of a device to be released without LTE. It's bad enough the 4S wasn't LTE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Host_Killer View Post
    No offense... But it would be suicide of a device to be released without LTE. It's bad enough the 4S wasn't LTE.
    I agree. I figured it was just assumed that it would be LTE capable.

Thanks

Why does the iPhone 4S say 4G when both it andy iPhone 4 are on a 3G network? Is the iPhone 4S even 4G capable? These phones were both on AT&T by the way...

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they refer to HsDPA as 4g in some areas.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Why does the iPhone 4S say 4G when both it andy iPhone 4 are on a 3G network? Is the iPhone 4S even 4G capable? These phones were both on AT&T by the way...
    Its not true 4G! The 4S has dual antennas that could reach speeds as high as HSPA+ but that's it. It still runs a 3G radio but because it can reach speeds of HSPA+ and that is considered to be 4G, that how and why the 4S has a 4G signal indicator and not 3G. Its a whole play on words and technicality. In my eyes? its BS! LOL

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

If the next iphone wasnt LTE ready apple would have a hard time pushing it in 4g markets.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

If it is not LTE, i will be skipping this Iphone 5

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    If it is not LTE, i will be skipping this Iphone 5
    1. Ditto.

2. It's not an iPhone 5

Green Apple
    Thanks
    In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? Are you tweets and status updates going to load that much faster? WiFi is available almost everywhere and with data caps and throttling I fail to see the real benefit of lightning fast speeds on a phone other than bragging rights. Trust me, I'm a big fan of high speed data which is why I was one of the first in my area to get FiOS, but do I really care on my phone? 4G for smartphone appears to be more of a marketing tool than anything else. Until there's a true need (streaming Netflix is not it) I could really care less.

Thanks
    so for those of us who are grandfathered into an unlimited 3G plan, getting a 4G LTE plan is gonna cap my data right?

Thanks

yes, that is exactly the point

13. The Following User Says Thank You to soidroidios For This Useful Post:

skodwarde (08-15-2012)

Thanks
    i guess the question is: do you NEEd a 4G LTE plan to be able to get and use the new iphone?

Thanks

no. The LTE phone will still have a regular 3g wireless antenna. So if there is no LTE signal, you can use the regular signals. If you don't have LTE, the device will function the same way the previous ones did

16. The Following User Says Thank You to soidroidios For This Useful Post:

skodwarde (08-15-2012)

Thanks
    ah thanks...hope it works out like that, as i dont plan on ditching my unlimited plan for even this unless its got something really special about

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

... oh im glad this was the clue that told us there will be 4g not the fact that 4g is essential... why do you think they are giving better battery life. their biggest selling point will be the fact it can run on 4g and still have a long battery life

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? Are you tweets and status updates going to load that much faster? WiFi is available almost everywhere and with data caps and throttling I fail to see the real benefit of lightning fast speeds on a phone other than bragging rights. Trust me, I'm a big fan of high speed data which is why I was one of the first in my area to get FiOS, but do I really care on my phone? 4G for smartphone appears to be more of a marketing tool than anything else. Until there's a true need (streaming Netflix is not it) I could really care less.
    You are definitely correct. LTE is mostly useless if the data plan stay this expensive!

Thanks

It may come ready to handle but not everyone is in an area that has 4G coverage. Good luck with that..Im thinking actual 4G by 2020 at this rate. False advertisement if i've ever seen it. Almost as bad as the Siri commercials littered with Hollywood elite haha.

Thanks

I'm buying the next iPhone off contract and might go prepaid on it. I'm definitely not using my upgrade and lose my unlimited plan. hopefully I'll get 4G service with ATT, if not, I'm definitely going prepaid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    +1 for me. Very well put. It's a phone. Plus, yes, I enjoy my grandfathered unlimited data plan too much during the occasional times when I actually use it (as opposed to wifi) to want to switch.
    Last edited by Amadomon; 08-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Quaerite et invenietis.