+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: View Your Friends' Nicknames in iOS Instead of First and Last Names With 'Nickname'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default View Your Friends' Nicknames in iOS Instead of First and Last Names With 'Nickname'

For those of you that like to refer to your friends by specific nicknames instead of their first and last names, a new jailbreak tweak has dropped into the Cydia store today called Nickname by iOS developer Malcolm Hall. The tweak will basically replace all of the name labels in iOS with their nickname instead, so you see their nickname in notifications rather than their first and last name.

Nearly the same result could be accomplished by simply putting the contact’s nickname where their real name goes, but then you run the risk of not remembering the true name of the contact. In addition, your contacts list becomes all unorganized when you have first and last names getting mixed up with nicknames. Nickname is a tweak that allows your Contacts application to remain organized while still giving you access to the ability of having a nickname for your contacts everywhere else in iOS.

The nickname of your contact goes right under the real name of the contact, where the company field would usually be. If you leave this field completely empty, the tweak will show the contact’s first and last name as usual. This is good for people that you don't give nicknames to. The advantage of nicknames include being able to talk to people without the people around you knowing who you are communicating with and the ability to include personalization of your contacts.

When you set a nickname for a contact, their nickname will appear any time you are in the middle of a call with them – whether it’s incoming or outgoing, in the favorite contacts list, from message alerts – whether text message or iMessage, in the Messages application thread view, and in the conversation view of a text message. The convenient support for showing the nickname all throughout iOS makes the tweak feel complete and makes it feel natural for iOS.

Name: Nickname
    Price: 99¢
    Version: 1.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Malcolm Hall
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

In contacts put the nickname you want to use in the normal name field eg: dr evil then go down to add field and add nickname,in nickname put there normal name eg: mr blogs save and boom your done,nickname will show up in sms,phone calls banners but you still have there really name in the contacts..
    Last edited by Cheesey123; 08-13-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    Erm do this for free,put the nickname you want to use in the normal name field eg: dr evil then go down to add field and add nickname,in nickname put there normal name eg: mr blogs save and boom your done,nickname will show up in sms,phone calls banners but you still have there really name in the contacts..
    Right, but then your nicknames get mixed up with the rest of your contacts, which is what the tweak avoids. With the tweak, all your contacts in the Contacts application still appear as first and last names, which keeps everything tidy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Right, but then your nicknames get mixed up with the rest of your contacts, which is what the tweak avoids. With the tweak, all your contacts in the Contacts application still appear as first and last names, which keeps everything tidy.
    I see your point but if your anything like me contacts are a mess anyway so wouldn't matter to much..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    I see your point but if your anything like me contacts are a mess anyway so wouldn't matter to much..
    Yes it's definitely subjective to the person using it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good job

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes it's definitely subjective to the person using it.
    I agree

Green Apple
    Thanks

One huge problem, it knocks out your Company Names from appearing... thats a big no no for me! That needs to be fixed before I use this again!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think it works well. I have to spell my wifes name wrong in Contacts in order for Siri to recognize it. Now it doesn't matter because I will only see the nickname when she Calls and in Messages and not the misspelled name. Nice work.

Thanks

Haha nice one

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It doesn't work for me. I added some nicknames, but incoming calls and iMessages still show their full name instead of the nickname. What have I done wrong?

update: reļnstalled it and now it works. thank you!
    Last edited by Janneus; 08-17-2012 at 02:24 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

This should be on iOS6! It makes managing contacts the right way much easier. Now I won't have to shorten names on the contact field