Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Closer Look: Daniel Weyer's MagSkin

Default A Closer Look: Daniel Weyer's MagSkin

Over the past few months I’ve had the opportunity to speak with a number of successful and not so successful Kickstarter entrepreneurs. Some have had runaway crowd-funded successes and others drowned beneath the tumultuous seas of patents and legal disputes.

However, a common theme seems to emerge. Whether successful or not, a large percentage of people on Kickstarter had an idea to fix a simple problem. And through their own epiphany or someone pushing them along the way, they realize “Hey other people might want this too.”

Daniel Weyer, a happily married engineer living in Lincoln, Nebraska, had a similar experience.

“For Christmas, my wife got me a 25-foot tape measure, which included "as a bonus" a small six-foot tape measure with a magnetic backing,” Weyer said. “This got me thinking, and ended with one of my wife's kitchen magnets being cut up and taped to the back of my iPhone...it barely held and was the initial prototype.”

With the general idea now weighing on Weyer’s mind he began making prototypes. Weyer tried magnetic films of varying thickness, but realized problems arose as soon as he put a piece of paper between the bare magnet and his refrigerator. Weyer recognized few people would want a bare magnet on the back of their iPhone and knew a thin decorative film needed to be showing.

“I about gave up on the idea after investing $100-plus, but decided to try one last time with a high strength 30 mil (.76 mm) thickness magnet,” Weyer Said. “I was anxious for the material to arrive and was quite thrilled when the material managed hold up an iPhone with four sheets of paper between. I knew this would be a product people would use if I could keep it thin enough.”

With the newfound strength Weyer felt confident the MagSkin would hold onto any magnetic surface and for those non-magnetic surfaces Weyer developed the MagDock which consists of adhesive magnetic strips. Place the strips on non-magnetic surfaces like tables, cupboards, and headboards then simply attach your MagSkin enhanced iPhone or iPad.

The future of the MagSkin for Weyer is exciting. The engineer and entrepreneur has plans to develop an iPhone case with MagSkin integration, as well as Nintendo 3DS and Android Tablet versions. However, Android phone version are out of the question for the time being.

“If I was an Android guy, this idea would not have worked,” Weyer said. “The flat back of the iPhone 4, 4S and (hopefully) iPhone 5 makes this idea work well. I have tried the MagSkin on products with a curved back, and the magnet either overpowers the adhesive and straightens out or the contact surface area isn't enough to support a curved-back smartphone.”

Look for a MagSkin review next week, as well as giveaway where five winners will be selected at random to receive an iPhone MagSkin of their choice.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

cool idea, would be interested in getting one for iPad only if it does not affect the magnetic cover and magnetic power on and off.

lol

However, a common theme seems to emerge. Whether successful or not, a large percentage of people on Kickstarter had an idea to fix a simple problem. And through their own epiphany or someone pushing them along the way, they realize “Hey other people might want this too.
    I had the same idea, and have been doing it with iPods/iPhones for years.
    What I lacked was the epiphany of doing a Kickstarter, and getting big bucks for it.

But since I had the idea first, (and documentation to prove I've been doing this before Weyer did)
    I should still be able to patent it and sue him for lots of money.
    My epiphany. :P

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

J/k!!!

-img_0338.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    lol

What I lacked was the epiphany of doing a Kickstarter, and getting big bucks for it.

But since I had the idea first, (and documentation to prove I've been doing this before Weyer did)
    Well, the thing is he didn't get big bucks at all, unless you call $5,000 to cover the cost of production big bucks. He went through the entire production process, including making prototypes and buying the necessary materials without getting a dime from KickStarter. You'd have a tough time securing the patent he's already applied for. If you want to go through the trouble of applying for the patent, lawyering up, and pursuing a suit, more power to you. Or you could act on an innovative idea and bring something to market. Either or.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    cool idea, would be interested in getting one for iPad only if it does not affect the magnetic cover and magnetic power on and off.
    Nice idea but what long term effects if any can come from having a powerful magnet so close to a LCD screen on the phone or I pad

Nice idea would be interesting to see what effects if any would come from having a powerful magnet so close to a LCD screen on a I pad or I phone

Nice idea but what long or short term effects could happen from having a powerful macnet so close to a LCD screen.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Nice but long or short term effects might happen from having a powerful magnet so close to a LCD screen
    Last edited by tridley68; 08-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Well, the thing is he didn't get big bucks at all, unless you call $5,000 to cover the cost of production big bucks. He went through the entire production process, including making prototypes and buying the necessary materials without getting a dime from KickStarter. You'd have a tough time securing the patent he's already applied for. If you want to go through the trouble of applying for the patent, lawyering up, and pursuing a suit, more power to you. Or you could act on an innovative idea and bring something to market. Either or.
    There's yet another option:

Trolling MMi.
    All the glory, none of the effort.
    (and none of the money)

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    Nice idea but what long term effects if any can come from having a powerful magnet so close to a LCD screen on the phone or I pad

Nice idea would be interesting to see what effects if any would come from having a powerful magnet so close to a LCD screen on a I pad or I phone

Nice idea but what long or short term effects could happen from having a powerful macnet so close to a LCD screen.

Nice but long or short term effects might happen from having a powerful magnet so close to a LCD screen
    It's a not a "strong magnet" compared to rare earth ceramics. It may be slightly stronger than the ones stuck to your refrigerator already, but it's the same type. Due to the layout, the field probably won't even penetrate your iPad's shell (much less the LCD inside it). Halbach array - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even a rare earth magnet wouldn't be strong enough to mess with the guts very much.
    Though I wouldn't want to trust the internal compass with any of these suckers attached.
    Last edited by raduga; 08-11-2012 at 12:42 AM.

everytime i read the title of this i think why is MMI doing a news report on a new condom? lol.. Ok done trollin now.. haha Pretty cool idea, but something about having a magnet next to storage doesnt seem right..

Doesn't this screw with the magnetic compass in the iPhone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zon View Post
    Doesn't this screw with the magnetic compass in the iPhone?
    You use the compass?!

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    lol

You would make Apple do proud. Go forth my son, and conquer.