+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Smartphone, Tablet Sales Revealed In Court

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
New details are coming to light with regard to Samsung's smartphone sales. Lawyers for both Apple and Samsung have tried to conceal sensitive sales data from public, but it now
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Samsung Smartphone, Tablet Sales Revealed In Court

New details are coming to light with regard to Samsung's smartphone sales. Lawyers for both Apple and Samsung have tried to conceal sensitive sales data from public, but it now appears that the epic legal war between the tech giants won't allow that reality to manifest.

Documents filed in court Thursday indicate that during the 24 month period spanning June 2010 to June 2012, Samsung sold 21.25 million phones. That number translates to about $7.5 billion generated in revenue.

All Things D was the first to discover the information. In terms of tablets, Samsung sold 1.4 million Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1 devices. If you're keeping score at home, that means Samsung saw about $644 million in revenue from tablet sales.

So how does that shape up in comparison to Apple? Between 2007 and mid 2012, Apple sold 85 million iPhones at $50 billion in revenue. Since its 2010 unveiling, Apple moved 34 million iPad units, which amounts to $19 billion in revenue.

Source: All Things D

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't see why they compared total sales to total sales instead of sales between 2010 to 2012 since that's all the time Samsung had to sell..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This data makes apple look like the the big bully. Their dominance will end, because people will eventually get tired of apple's tight grip on their phone, the hassle of jailbreaking and opt for a more open os, freedom and customization options + better hardware. Android's overall quality is still behind but it's evolving much faster than the closed ios system.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATBsky View Post
    This data makes apple look like the the big bully. Their dominance will end, because people will eventually get tired of apple's tight grip on their phone, the hassle of jailbreaking and opt for a more open os, freedom and customization options + better hardware. Android's overall quality is still behind but it's evolving much faster than the closed ios system.
    your average consumer doesn't care about jailbreaking or an "open os", nor do they even notice apple's "tight grip" on their phone. android also evolves faster because it has farther to go.

don't confuse what you want/need with what the mass market has any interest in.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    your average consumer doesn't care about jailbreaking or an "open os", nor do they even notice apple's "tight grip" on their phone. android also evolves faster because it has farther to go.

don't confuse what you want/need with what the mass market has any interest in.
    You both make good points. But truthfully id run to android if you cannot jailbreak.
    Not even thinking about it id sell it all and move on. Yes Apple is dominating but for how long?

I agree that people are starting to get sick of apples moves, I am one of those people. And i sit and think all the time, why is it that android is so open yet apple you cant fart w/o siri sending it to apple, process it, and give you a reply.. like common really.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Samsung are outselling Apple in leaps and bounds for the last year. They may not beat them in revenue but in smartphone units, Apple can't compete. They're making Android have almost 70% market share in the Smart Phone OS business, and Samsung alone account for almost half, with iOS falling from 19% to 17% this year.
    Samsung shipped 50million smartphones last quarter and Apple shipped 26million.
    (no need to remind me that Samsung have about 6/7 models and Apple only have 3)

See we can use the same data to make Samsung look good too.
    Source? I'm reading it in a newspaper right now.
    You might find it on irishexaminer.ie or any other non-ultra-biased site.

Some articles here are borderline Pro-Apple Propaganda
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 08-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

I agree..a normal non jailbroken iPhone is not amazing. Its basic and uninteresting. Too much competition to say otherwise. I've had android the G1 and have tested or used most of the current models. I stay with Apple cause of the OS stability and jailbreaking content. I too am growing tired of Apples almost crippling control over its products. After I buy it I own it..back up! Let me do what i want to do with it. I don't believe there is any other company that tries to control a product post sale as much as Apple does. Correct me if im wrong. I will see how this year pans out with the new iPhone and Jailbreaks in general. We all know Apple is still the president of the anti jailbreak campaign..haha!

Thanks

imho apple is against jailbreak because it renders their os completely exposed thus possibly causing os slow downs and/or damage. We all read posts with "oops I bricked my phone" followed by "took it to apple they gave me a new one ".
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I would rather have Appels money in the bank then a high number of phones sold.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I don't see why they compared total sales to total sales instead of sales between 2010 to 2012 since that's all the time Samsung had to sell..
    Agreed. Comparing Samsung phone sales from 2010 to 2012 to Apple sales from 2007 to 2012. We are stupid and will just read the bigger number. No one will notice. .....