+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Feature in Latest iOS 6 Build Lets Users Switch to Cellular Data When Wi-Fi Drops Out

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Feature in Latest iOS 6 Build Lets Users Switch to Cellular Data When Wi-Fi Drops Out

Apple included an interesting little feature in the latest version of iOS 6 that allows someone’s iPhone to use cellular data when Wi-Fi connections become sketchy.

The feature called Wi-Fi Plus Cellular allows apps that have trouble communicating via Wi-Fi to switch to cellular data instead. A similar feature debuted in an earlier version of iOS 6 that allows users to decide if they want to user cellular data for iCloud Documents, iTunes, FaceTime, Passbook Updates and the user’s Reading List. The feature has a tab that indicates Apple will allow FaceTime calls over cellular data as well, carriers permitting.

The Wi-Fi Plus Cellular feature will likely save time and battery life for users who constantly move in and out of Wi-Fi networks and use cellular data sparingly. Also, feature will help users conserve data use to avoid breaching data caps and incurring overage charges as well as help unlimited data users avoid throttling. The unfortunate nature of these features in non-gold iOS builds is they might not show up in the final product. Hopefully something as simple and useful as the Wi-Fi Plus feature makes the final cut.

Source: AppAdvice

Thanks

This sounds like it would be GREAT for people with grandfathered unlimited data....

as for everyone else, good news for their carriers

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

That's what SBsettings is for!! ANOTHER idea Apple is STEALING from the JB community!! Hahaha, jk you guys! Seriously though, I've used it a countless number of times to do exactly this.....If a page or app isn't loading properly, just swipe to open SBsettings, toggle wifi off...Pretty much always gets whatever I'm doing to load.

Guess this will just make iOS even faster to use, so i think it's a great addition.....Now that I think about it, I'm surprised this feature wasn't added a long time ago. It happens quite often on certain wifi networks, and most people don't know you can just turn your wifi off and it will work perfectly. Most of them think their phone "sucks" or is "broken", or even dumber...their "service sucks", not realizing they are not even using their "service"!

Glad Apple is going to add this just so the people just mentioned won't think their iPhones suck just because their wifi sucks (or they have roommates who download multiple torrents at a time, while streaming Pandora, while playing COD, while uploading a video of themselves playing COD while listening to Pandora and downloading torrents)......stupid roommates.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    That's what SBsettings is for!! ANOTHER idea Apple is STEALING from the JB community!! Hahaha, jk you guys! Seriously though, I've used it a countless number of times to do exactly this.....If a page or app isn't loading properly, just swipe to open SBsettings, toggle wifi off...Pretty much always gets whatever I'm doing to load.
    Try NCSettings. Much lighter load and have most of the useful toggles.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    I can list 100's of reasons why sbsettings is better.. The top three

Theming
    Customization
    And add ons

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    +1 NCSettings is a far better solution than SBSettings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post

Theming
    Customization
    And add ons
    Tends to get buggy after its been installed for a while. Toggles become unresponsive at times. Ncsettings is extremely light weight and works great. IMO its a far better alternative than sbsettings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Tends to get buggy after its been installed for a while. Toggles become unresponsive at times. Ncsettings is extremely light weight and works great. IMO its a far better alternative than sbsettings.
    X2
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

Thanks

Default There is no FaceTime switch
    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    This sounds like it would be GREAT for people with grandfathered unlimited data....

In mine time there is no FaceTime switch...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The gif's now work in the messages app!! Click on it and u can now view them in full view!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post

Theming
    Customization
    And add ons
    I'm the kind that likes simplicity, battery life, and speed. Since we were only talking about toggles, NCSetting's main purpose is toggles and it has every toggle that I need.

Your Notification center has (IMO) way better customization ability anyway. Most of the new mods on here is customizing your notification center, not SBSettings.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post

I only have the 3 gb plan and I use FaceTime on 3G, download 100+ song playlists from iCloud, (itunes match ftw!)and never come close to capping out my data. If I had the unlimited plan, it would be ok, but I never worry about it or pay overages now...