+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X Mountain Lion Affecting Mac Battery Life, Fix Reportedly On Way

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default OS X Mountain Lion Affecting Mac Battery Life, Fix Reportedly On Way

ArsTechnica tested just how much OS X Mountain Lion affects the battery life of some of Apple’s laptops, and their findings were pretty significant.

Reports of OS X Mountain life draining laptop batteries abnormally fast began emerging shortly after the OS’s release filing Apple’s online support forums with complaints. ArsTechnica’s tests show Apple’s latest OS does indeed shorten the battery life of MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. In some cases the performance drop nears forty percent. ArsTechnica's methods might not be the most "technical", but they do exhibit a reoccurring drop in battery life. Not all of Apple's laptops are affected by the battery drop, and a clear pattern hasn't emerged yet.

Our own testing revealed similar (and significant) drops in battery runtime after installing Mountain Lion. In previous tests, we were able to regularly achieve just over 8 hours of use by relying solely on our Retina MacBook Pro's integrated Intel HD4000 GPU. Performing the same "real-world" test using the same software applications and usage pattern, we never got the Retina MacBook Pro to run for more than a few minutes past 5 hours after a full charge. — ArsTechnica
    While Apple’s support forums, Twitter, and message boards fill up with complaints, Apple is reportedly working on a fix. An Apple support forum user claiming to have contacted Apple was told by an Apple representative that the battery problems were not hardware or battery related and the fix would be issues via software update. With reports of Apple getting ready to seed OS X 10.8.1 to developers, those afflicted by battery problems hopefully won’t have to wait much longer for a fix.

Source: ArsTechnica

Thanks

It's a good thing that Apple has made it easy for their MacBook users to swap batteries without much fuss, in case they're running a little low.

Having a hot spare can be a lifesaver.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (08-09-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    It's a good thing that Apple has made it easy for their MacBook users to swap batteries without much fuss, in case they're running a little low.

Having a hot spare can be a lifesaver.
    For those users with Airs or Retina MacBook Pros without that option, however, it's still an issue. Hopefully the update extends everyone's battery life--I certainly will enjoy a boost!

Thanks

But I thought it was more important to have a laptop that is 1/64 of an inch thinner than the last model you owned? Apple no one gives a damn about this thinner lighter crap, it's really gone beyond ridiculous at this point. Battery swapping is more important to me when I'm on the road than can I slice a birthday cake with my air shut because it's so impossibly thin.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (08-09-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    For those users with Airs or Retina MacBook Pros without that option, however, it's still an issue. Hopefully the update extends everyone's battery life--I certainly will enjoy a boost!
    With the newer models, it's even easier!
    Just buy a new laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Apple no one gives a damn about this thinner lighter crap, it's really gone beyond ridiculous at this point. Battery swapping is more important to me when I'm on the road than can I slice a birthday cake with my air shut because it's so impossibly thin.
    They can have my cake knife when they pry it from my cold, dead cake.

Last edited by raduga; 08-09-2012 at 10:44 PM.