+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Save Battery Life and View Battery Stats With 'BattSaver'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For those of you that don’t mind increasing the battery life on your iPhones, there’s a new application in Cydia by iOS developer Xvolks that you should check out called
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 765 Posts

Default Save Battery Life and View Battery Stats With 'BattSaver'

For those of you that don’t mind increasing the battery life on your iPhones, there’s a new application in Cydia by iOS developer Xvolks that you should check out called BattSaver. It increases your battery life by adjusting system options that use battery power even while your device is in standby mode, such as Push, wireless radios, Location, and more.

When you install BattSaver, you will find a new application icon on the home screen. The application is where you go to adjust your settings and view battery information. None of the data is presented in the Settings application. One of the handy options the application contains is a graphing feature, which keeps a graphed history about certain characteristics of your battery over time:

The graph can be customized to show information such as battery capacity in mAh, temperature in Celsius (x100), instant amperage in mA, and load average anywhere between 1-15 minutes (x100). You can hide and show any of the information that you want and each line is color-coated so you know the difference.

In addition to the graph, which records and displays data over time, BattSaver comes with a list view for battery information that shows you the last-known status of your iPhone’s battery:

Ascending away from the information part of BattSaver, the application also comes with some valuable functionality – system control features that can save your battery life:

Battery saving techniques can be found in the Settings section of the BattSaver application. Here, you will be able to delete graph data, or change your battery saving options. The options range depending on how strict you want to be:
    • None – nothing is changed; battery will drain at a normal rate
    • Normal – cellular and Wi-Fi radios are disabled when the device is put to sleep to save battery
    • Aggressive – cellular data is disabled whenever you are connected to a Wi-Fi network
    • Ultimate – all wireless radios disabled and must be turned on manually
    • Custom

The custom option inside of BattSaver's settings allows the user to go in-depth and select what they want to do. It comes with options for managing Wi-Fi, 3G, Edge, Push, Bluetooth, and location services. In addition, the custom feature comes with options for when these services should be enabled and disabled – this gives the user complete control over how much battery drain the device suffers over a period of time.

If you have seen what disabling these features manually can do for your iPhone’s battery, then why not allow BattSaver to manage them automatically for you? BattSaver’s automatic service enabling and disabling will save you not only battery, but also time, since you won’t have to play around with your settings all the time. The additional statistics that the application has are a great way to see the difference that the application makes.

Name: BattSaver
    Price: $2.99
    Version: 1.0.2
    Requirements: iPhone
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Xvolks
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"Normal – cellular and Wi-Fi radios are disabled when the device is put to sleep to save battery"

Wouldn't normal mode then mean that I wouldn't receive text or push notifications while the screen is off? .. seems I wouldn't want that if that's the case

Edit: I answered my own question, in normal mode it will turn on radios every 15 minutes to check for messages.
    Last edited by oneduality; 08-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

There are still a few kinks with this. For example, the radios would not turn back on automatically for me. Also, if you were ever to clear your RAM, say with SBSettings or even by clearing the app off your multitasking list, BattSaver will revert back to "Normal" mode.

That is what I found. Hopefully others are having a better experience with this.

@oneduality: I believe the radios turn on once every 15 minutes or so to check for push notifications. Granted that is quite an interval to receive text messages, but that is their solution. In "Custom" you can set the interval to a shorter time period.
    Last edited by Kaisei; 08-07-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks

I answered my own question - the radios will be off in normal mode but by default they will come on every 15 minutes to check for notifications and messages.. that i can handle

Thanks

What about phone calls? With the radio off does that mean people will just go straight to voicemail unless you have the screen unlocked?

iPhone? More like MyPhone KernelPad's Avatar
    Thanks

Best for who have a battery drainage problem and who use their device 24/7.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    What about phone calls? With the radio off does that mean people will just go straight to voicemail unless you have the screen unlocked?
    Even with all the available radios turned off, the non-3G/non-EDGE radio is always active. This app only turns off data related radios.

Thanks

What about incoming calls, how do I know that I have incoming calls when the radio is OFF. This is no good.
    I want my money back. That is not saving that is something which restrict the usage of the iPhone.
    Sorry I will try to see if I could get reimbursed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisei View Post
    Even with all the available radios turned off, the non-3G/non-EDGE radio is always active. This app only turns off data related radios.
    Ah yes. Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Pod2g recomended this. Instant purchase for me. If anyone knows an iPhone its him

Thanks

This piece of.....has turn my radio off after I custom set it ON and I could not get my service ON not until I reboot. No I want my money back!!!!
    Or there is any way to keep my radio ON ( I need all incoming calls and messages). Do not care for emails or other staff.
    Last edited by AGIAMIU; 08-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Seem like it could be a good tweak. Gonna wait till the bugs or out of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micturition View Post
    Pod2g recomended this. Instant purchase for me. If anyone knows an iPhone its him
    lol of course he recommended it he is credited with doing some programming on it so will take a cut. That being said I did exactly the same and when I saw his recommendation on twitter "Instant Purchase" lol

But when I leave home (WiFI) and try dialing out as i drive away I have no cell reception for well over a minute, as stated the radios in normal mode are only meant to be for data not voice service I cant help thinking it's slightly buggy probably due to teething trouble i hope.
    And im not 100% about this as my routine has changed over the last few days but by battery seems to be worse... Please don't linch me for that as I said i'm not sure and my routine is different

Gav
    Last edited by Gavla79; 08-07-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added 2nd paragraph

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micturition View Post
    I agree when he twittered about it I bought it.

There is a glitch of some sort that the when using Aggressive mode that it doesn't always enable your wifi. But as far as saving my battery I am at 36 hours on with 8 hours of usage and 53% of my battery left. UNHEARD of on my iPhone 4. Not having the same results with 4S but still testing. Using for 2 days and love it.

Defiantly worth the buy.

Edit... sign in see one comment, sign out see them all. How many years is this going to be a problem on MMI? It was fixed for a while what happened?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Logged in just to comment. I persoanlly bought this app and it works perfect!

Messages and push come in just fine. Not in 15 minute intervals. Also phone calls come in just fine. It shuts off 3g/2g and wifi radios and leaves GSM radios on so that you recieve these things. Also just my usage. Last night was

Unplugged phone from charger at 10:45am after installing battsaver. Ended the night at 11:30pm.

Usage: 5hour 45 minutes
    Standby: 12hours
    32% batter remaining.

Normal i would of been past 0%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    This piece of.....has turn my radio off after I custom set it ON and I could not get my service ON not until I reboot. No I want my money back!!!!
    Or there is any way to keep my radio ON ( I need all incoming calls and messages). Do not care for emails or other staff.
    OMG read the instructions bro. I know we tekkie types believe we are above that but I recon you'd benefit in this circumstance, or maybe before you made the purchase in the first place....read what it actually dose.... just a thought

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i'm not happy with this app, I usually wait to read reviews before buying, and then yes I always buy if I think its good.
    But like so many of you, I saw what the app said it could do and bought without trying it first or reading reviews, as it seemed to come from well established developers. as we haven't had apps similar to this since auto3g, and iControl I was quite excited.

Anyway, the simple truth is this app doesn't run at all on my 4s, no settings or anything come up when I tap the icon from my springboard, the phone pauses a few seconds then throws me back to the springboard.
    I have tried uninstalling, doing a clean up with iCleaner, and reinstalling, but get the same problem. I also deleted the settings preference file the app creates using Springtomize after uninstalling in case that was the source of my problem but it didn't help.
    Tapping the app icon from my task switcher also throws me back to the springboard.
    I have written to the developer using the address provided on cydia, for help and I have also tried summarising the problem in a tweet, not easy. But so far I have had no reply to any of my communications.
    I am not happy, and would advise people to stay away from this tweak at the moment, next time I won't be rushing out to purchase. I am trying to use v 1.0.2, and have tried all released versions since the initial release, it has never worked for me.

Also, what did the dev mean when he said it was his last tweak for the bigboss repo? I hope this wasn't meant to be a quick way to make money.
    If the problem doesn't get fixed I certainly want my money back, but not sure if I have any way to get it.
    Last edited by alexwallis; 08-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gavla79 View Post
    OMG read the instructions bro. I know we tekkie types believe we are above that but I recon you'd benefit in this circumstance, or maybe before you made the purchase in the first place....read what it actually dose.... just a thought
    Bro I read the instructions ,but no where in the instruction is something about NO SERVICE after my iPhone get alive?! And I waited and waited and nothing ! The only way is to reboot the iPhone .
    About the purchase you are right, but it is a lesson learned!
    I am stil opened to sugestions and in the meantime I just removed the apps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    Bro I read the instructions ,but no where in the instruction is something about NO SERVICE after my iPhone get alive?! And I waited and waited and nothing ! The only way is to reboot the iPhone .
    About the purchase you are right, but it is a lesson learned!
    I am stil opened to sugestions and in the meantime I just removed the apps.
    Do you have any other addons that manage network preferances installed you could try looking at my reply below about disabling mobile substrate addons through SBSettings as It's more than likely clashing with something else installed, there kinks will hopefully be worked out in later updates (assuming there is any)

Quote Originally Posted by alexwallis View Post
    i'm not happy with this app, I usually wait to read reviews before buying, and then yes I always buy if I think its good.
    But like so many of you, I saw what the app said it could do and bought without trying it first or reading reviews, as it seemed to come from well established developers. as we haven't had apps similar to this since auto3g, and iControl I was quite excited.

Anyway, the simple truth is this app doesn't run at all on my 4s, no settings or anything come up when I tap the icon from my springboard, the phone pauses a few seconds then throws me back to the springboard.
    I have tried uninstalling, doing a clean up with iCleaner, and reinstalling, but get the same problem. I also deleted the settings preference file the app creates using Springtomize after uninstalling in case that was the source of my problem but it didn't help.
    Tapping the app icon from my task switcher also throws me back to the springboard.
    I have written to the developer using the address provided on cydia, for help and I have also tried summarising the problem in a tweet, not easy. But so far I have had no reply to any of my communications.
    I am not happy, and would advise people to stay away from this tweak at the moment, next time I won't be rushing out to purchase. I am trying to use v 1.0.2, and have tried all released versions since the initial release, it has never worked for me.

Also, what did the dev mean when he said it was his last tweak for the bigboss repo? I hope this wasn't meant to be a quick way to make money.
    If the problem doesn't get fixed I certainly want my money back, but not sure if I have any way to get it.

I'm running it on a 4s also. I'm not totally convinced it lives up to the claims either but I have not experienced the issue you describe, It may be that it is clashing with another tweak that is installed, One way to test this is u have SBSSettings installed open it from the springboard or from the drop down and press more the go to mobile substrate Addons turn them all off except "iOptimizeUrBattery" then respring and try opening the BattSaver app again. If it opens its a clash with another addon and then turn them on one by one until BattSaver crashes again then the addon u just turned back on it the culprit.
    Just a thought and worth a try, best of luck

As far as a refund is concerned that has to be taken up with Saurik of Cydia Store as he deals with payment. I doubt tho if it is a get rich quick scheme as as Saurik has to hold the money for any purchases for 30 days before any dev get paid for their app (PayPal's Rules) so a refund is possible just contact him through Cydia.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Gavla79; 08-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gavla79 View Post
    Do you have any other addons that manage network preferances installed you could try looking at my reply below about disabling mobile substrate addons through SBSettings as It's more than likely clashing with something else installed, there kinks will hopefully be worked out in later updates (assuming there is any)

I'm running it on a 4s also. I'm not totally convinced it lives up to the claims either but I have not experienced the issue you describe, It may be that it is clashing with another tweak that is installed, One way to test this is u have SBSSettings installed open it from the springboard or from the drop down and press more the go to mobile substrate Addons turn them all off except "iOptimizeUrBattery" then respring and try opening the BattSaver app again. If it opens its a clash with another addon and then turn them on one by one until BattSaver crashes again then the addon u just turned back on it the culprit.
    Just a thought and worth a try, best of luck

As far as a refund is concerned that has to be taken up with Saurik of Cydia Store as he deals with payment. I doubt tho if it is a get rich quick scheme as as Saurik has to hold the money for any purchases for 30 days before any dev get paid for their app (PayPal's Rules) so a refund is possible just contact him through Cydia.

Hope this helps
    Hi, thanks for your reply, I will certainly be contacting saurik,
    I followed your advice and disabled all addons apart from BattSaver and then both rebooted and respringed the phone.
    The app still wouldn't run, in my view its clearly still buggy and wasn't anywhere near ready for release.
    I may purchase the app again in the future, but I will certainly be trying it out first especially after this experience, and if its good then yes I will buy.
    But as the old saying goes, once bitten twice shy.