+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 6 Will Auto-Scale for Upcoming Taller iPhone Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default iOS 6 Will Auto-Scale for Upcoming Taller iPhone Display

After testing and playing around with Apple’s official iOS simulator, the folks over at 9to5Mac have reportedly discovered that iOS 6 is capable of automatically scaling its home screen display to fit a taller 1136x640 display. This is in comparison to the current 960x640 display which the current iPhone uses. The news seems to go hand to hand with rumors and speculation of Apple including a taller display on the next-generation iPhone, which is rumored to be introduced next month. According to 9to5Mac:

Thanks to some tweaks to the iOS Simulator application that is included in the iOS development tools, we were able to run the simulator at the rumored next-generation iPhone display resolution of 640 x 1136. We did this running both the current public release of iOS 5.1 and the upcoming iOS 6.0 The iOS 5.1 simulator displayed the home screen with a stretched set of four rows of icons. On the other hand, iOS 6 displayed five complete rows – as our sources said Apple was testing for taller iPhone displays.
    One thing to note was that setting the iOS simulator to resolutions other than 1136x640 doesn’t result in automatic scaling. The simulator simply defaults to an “iPad-like home screen layout” different from what is currently seen for the iPhone. This quick observation suggests that the 1136x640 resolution that’s found in the simulator for iOS 6 is pointing towards Apple at least working on an iOS 6 device supporting said scree size.

Whether you were one of the many who were hoping the next-generation iPhone would have a larger screen size or not, it turns out that the rumor/speculation may very well be true. To some this may be good news as many people claim that the larger screen size on competitor smartphones was appealing. Others may not be so content with the idea possibly coming to fruition as they preferred having the current screen size. What’s your opinion?

Source: 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A screen SO BIG we get 1 full extra row of icons!!!!! Technology!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plnkeye21 View Post
    A screen SO BIG we get 1 full extra row of icons!!!!! Technology!!!
    Wow Apple seems to have dropped the ball. The taller screen is not much help. the width needs to change as well. the design is not much of change in looks.

Big deal a taller screen seems just awkward to me. I dont get it, this makes so little sense. The newer rumored cpu, LTE etc will be nice but I just dont see screen size as much.

Is it just me, just increasing the vertical without a horizontal dimension change makes no sense to me. Dang, I just cant come to grips with this.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. Apple is making a bad move with this. They could take some ideas from Samsung and use the same size screen as their 4.8 inch screen lol. Or 4.6,4.5, or even 4.3. The SGS3 is looking better and better along with their new Galaxy Note 10.1 tab

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Soon we will all have to just carry an ipad in our pockets. Because that will be the new size of the iphone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

When have apple ever dropped the ball with an idevice? (ahem, antenna gate) Why don't we just wait and see? If its crap and you dislike it, simple, don't get one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

1136 x 640 is roughly a 16:9 ratio in case people were curious

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

A larger screen will definitely appease the iCommunity (edit: at least the ones who don't voice their negative opinions). I honestly believe that iUsers want yearly augmentation to iDevices so they can prove merely by sight that they have the newest and shiniest gizmo. I for one will be getting "The New iPhone".

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Did anyone consider this being for a smaller iPad screen? I don't know if the display will change much. The big thing about the iPhone is the ease of use with one hand. You can touch with your thumb all the way on the screen. Some bigger phones you can't do that so am curious if Apple would really change these ergonomics as much as some other vendors have.

Thanks

Phone sizes are getting out of hand. Any of you that see me comment know that I don't like the way we are going with size "Zack Morris" phones. Not to be negative but who cares if the OS resizes..shouldn't it?? haha! Whats next, when you press sleep on iOS 6 your iPhones screen turns black ooooooh! Come on now!

jl1
    Thanks

Lame! The phone should be scaled evenly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

This isnt really relevant, but what is that Apple application?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    Wow Apple seems to have dropped the ball. The taller screen is not much help. the width needs to change as well. the design is not much of change in looks.

Big deal a taller screen seems just awkward to me. I dont get it, this makes so little sense. The newer rumored cpu, LTE etc will be nice but I just dont see screen size as much.

Is it just me, just increasing the vertical without a horizontal dimension change makes no sense to me. Dang, I just cant come to grips with this.
    definitely agree.. Needs to be wider as well.. If this is all that is new other then higher specs I'll probably look at other phones

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    It generates random crap and feeds the rumour mill.

Thanks
    Revolutionary!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a taller screen?! Haha! I have a question have any of you used a iPhone app on an iPad? If u have then can they make a screen size as big as the app that's not 2x (little version) (not stretched) hard to explain but hope u know what I'm talkin bout

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Did anyone consider this being for a smaller iPad screen? I don't know if the display will change much. The big thing about the iPhone is the ease of use with one hand. You can touch with your thumb all the way on the screen. Some bigger phones you can't do that so am curious if Apple would really change these ergonomics as much as some other vendors have.
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone joshlogic's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a Safari bookmark added to the home screen from apple.com.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Just a taller screen?! Haha! I have a question have any of you used a iPhone app on an iPad? If u have then can they make a screen size as big as the app that's not 2x (little version) (not stretched) hard to explain but hope u know what I'm talkin bout

+1
    Yeah, it's because the iPhone has a higher pixel aspect ratio. Therefore making it 480x320. (I don't know if I just used the right term)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back2thebeatof84 View Post
    I honestly believe that iUsers want yearly augmentation to iDevices so they can prove merely by sight that they have the newest and shiniest gizmo.
    I think you nailed it... I'm pretty sure that's where most of the "disappointment" stemmed from with regards to the 4S.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Probably just a safari link to their website
    God Bless