+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lacie Releases New USB 3.0 External Hard Drives Designed for Macs

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Lacie Releases New USB 3.0 External Hard Drives Designed for Macs

Thunderbolt drives continue trickle out at a snail’s pace, but Lacie’s latest USB 3.0 Mac specific drives should quench the thirst of those itching for fast external storage.

The new drives include Lacie’s RuggedKey thumb drive, Rugged Triple hard disk, and the Porsche Designed P’ 9223 and P’ 9233. All of the drives feature Lacie's second generations USB 3.0 technology “USB Attached SCSI Protocol” which interfaces with Mac’s running Lion and Mountain Lion for optimum data transfer speeds.

The Porsche designed drives can transfer a 700MB file in just under 7 seconds according Lacie and features a 5mm solid aluminum casing. The brushed-metal finish and simplicity match Apple’s litany of devices perfectly. The Porsche drives come in 2TB ($159) and 3TB ($199) flavors, but the 2TB option is currently “out of stock.”

Lacie’s RuggedKey USB drive comes in 16GB ($39) and 32GB ($69) capacities. The price premium is likely a result of the “Ruggedness” of the USB drives which can withstand a 100 meter fall, water damage, as well as extreme cold and heat. Lacie applies the same premium to their Rugged Triple USB 3.0 drives which come in 500GB and 1TB capacities.

Lacie has Thunderbolt drives, and RAID arrays, but they come at a premium with the Little Big Disk costing up to $749 (240GB SSD) if you want to take advantage of Thunderbolt like speeds. The Lacie 2big series ($599 for 4TB and $749 for 6TB) allows for more space, but sacrifices speed because of the non-SSD drives. Lacie's new USB 3.0 drives give the more budget conscious Mac user in need of storage space a few new stylish and fast drives that won’t break the bank.

Source: Lacie [via Engadget]

Thanks

4TB...? Yummmm all that music, videos, pics, files,files, files...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yep. All that data gone in a flash. ...i kid. ...i kid.

No, but seriously, I've seen more data lost with Lacie drives than any other. I've helped several friends over the years try to recover audio files from these drives failing, some of which never were.

A Porsche with an engine seized and 4 flat tires ain't getting you far.

Rough times.
    Last edited by severe; 08-06-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Whats the differnece between this one and every other USB 3.0 external HDD? THE PRICE.
    As its designed for Apple computers they can up the price x10 and get away with it.
    Might as well get a normal one and buy a PC at the same time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    Yep. All that data gone in a flash. ...i kid. ...i kid.

No, but seriously, I've seen more data lost with Lacie drives than any other. I've helped several friends over the years try to recover audio files from these drives failing, some of which never were.

A Porsche with an engine seized and 4 flat tires ain't getting you far.

Rough times.
    true dat