+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Has Used More Than $1 Billion in Advertising the iPhone and iPad Since Launch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple makes a lot of money selling their famous iPhone and iPad devices, but it wasn’t cheap to get them known and loved by the world. By now, everyone knows
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Has Blown More Than $1 Billion in Advertising the iPhone and iPad Since Launch

Apple makes a lot of money selling their famous iPhone and iPad devices, but it wasn’t cheap to get them known and loved by the world. By now, everyone knows that Apple has banked several billion dollars thanks to their iOS device lineup. Out of that, Apple has spent over $1 billion alone in advertising the iPhone and the iPad since their very first launch. This figure does not include iPods and additional devices.

In today’s court trial between Apple and Samsung, Phil Schiller – the senior vice president of marketing for Apple – revealed some important statistics that explain just how much Apple has spent on marketing the iPhone and iPad since both devices were introduced to the store’s shelves. The statistics are as follows (via Christina Bonnington of Wired):
    • $647 million has went into advertising for the iPhone since its original launch
    • $457 million has went into advertising for the iPad since its original launch

As made evident from the company’s Web site and their television ads, Apple does not skimp on their commercials and advertising techniques. Commercials are so well done that after the commercial finishes airing, the user feels like the lavish device is going to be exactly what they need to get through life – the calm music that makes everything feel suave and the shiny pictures that make the device look one-of-a-kind. Images on the Web site are so great-looking that it makes the user envy the device and want to pocket the device immediately. It all comes together as the type of marketing that only large sums of money could buy.

Many other companies take a different approach for advertising their mobile devices all too often – trying to knock down other competitors in their commercials to make their device look dominant by using humor or subjective situations. Good examples are the Samsung commercials, which have recently started condescending on Apple's devices by pushing the larger screen.

One billion dollars may not seem like a whole lot for a rich company like Apple, but that’s not to say it’s a small amount of money by any means. Apple will continue to pour money into marketing and that number will continue to grow as time goes on.

Sources: Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

"In Apple’s commercials, Apple doesn't make a mention of other companies or devices."

Um, did you people forget about the whole Mac vs PC commercials?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    "In Apple’s commercials, Apple doesn't make a mention of other companies or devices."

I have not. This is only about the iPhone and iPad, so I haven't mentioned it, but I've edited it to be more clear.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They're not "blowing" their money, as your title implies. It's insulting that you think about advertising like that.

Ad revenue probably pays your bills, and I doubt you'd go over to Fab and tell them they're blowing money putting banners on MMi.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

If you got it, blow it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
    They're not "blowing" their money, as your title implies. It's insulting that you think about advertising like that.

Ad revenue probably pays your bills, and I doubt you'd go over to Fab and tell them they're blowing money putting banners on MMi.
    I agree. IMHO, Apple would not be as successful with their iDevices if not for their innovative advertising.

On a side note: the Mac vs PC commercials were comedic and universally accepted though it bashed the downfalls of the Windows platform. I, personally, enjoyed them even though I am a PC person. The iPod commercials with the silhouette dancers with white corded earbuds was genius for the music aficionados. And the latest in iPhone 4S commercials showing Siri functions is also smart, seeing how the only real feature for the current iPhone is Siri.

Advertising is justifiable considering the amount we pay to buy these products. I say let them pay out if they really want us to pay up. Lol

Thanks

"Blown"? Really. Who writes these article titles? You know that implies that it was wasted. Are you aware of their position in the market today? Their market value? Do you think that would have happened had they not spent any money on advertising? Time for a clue....

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Believe it or not this is actually a small amount for 5 years of advertisement. McDonald's spends 3-5 Billion PER YEAR

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrh View Post
    "Blown"? Really. Who writes these article titles? You know that implies that it was wasted. Are you aware of their position in the market today? Their market value? Do you think that would have happened had they not spent any money on advertising? Time for a clue....
    You seem to be angry at something more than just the title of this post. Did you not have a good day today? I'm sorry, if that's the case, but these guys of MMi aren't a billion dollar network like NBC and aren't anywhere near as uptight us those network guys. If it isn't too much trouble, you could cut this some slack. We're just having fun. :P

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post

thats before the launch of iphone and ipad.

btw i just need to say that photoshop picture on the article is just horrid. i mean im not super talented but still..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    You seem to be angry at something more than just the title of this post. Did you not have a good day today? I'm sorry, if that's the case, but these guys of MMi aren't a billion dollar network like NBC and aren't anywhere near as uptight us those network guys. If it isn't too much trouble, you could cut this some slack. We're just having fun. :P
    Ok. Sorry for the rant. Glad to see they changed the title tho. Great job guys. One of my favorite sites!

Thanks

Well spent apple.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Really, it doesn't have to be so strict. The title did get you to read it after all. haha
    Apple really puts a lot on marketing. That is probably why there are called a marketing company rather than a tech company. haha
    although they have put in a lot of innovations, the main power of apple products are the way they are introduced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post

Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary
    of the Information Purification Directives.

We have created, for the first time in all history,
    a garden of pure ideology –
    where each worker may bloom
    secure from the pests purveying contradictory truths.

Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful
    a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.

We are one people, with one will,
    one resolve, one cause.

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death,
    and we will bury them with their own confusion.

We shall prevail!
    Last edited by raduga; 08-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Woah! what was up with that??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If it's any consolation, jeffrh, I'd thought the same thing when I saw the title of the article. Nice to see it's changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post

Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary
    of the Information Purification Directives.

We have created, for the first time in all history,
    a garden of pure ideology –
    where each worker may bloom
    secure from the pests purveying contradictory truths.

Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful
    a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.

We are one people, with one will,
    one resolve, one cause.

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death,
    and we will bury them with their own confusion.

We shall prevail!

What raduga said