Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Controversial New Video Depicts, Describes iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThomson View Post
    is it just me or wouldnt it make more sense to make the screen longer and wider rather then just wider, and keep the same aspect ratio so the thousands of current apps wouldnt need to be redesigned or have black bars on either end of the screen.

more like this pic

when i look at my phone in my hand and imagine it being longer it seems awkward to me

in this pic the new iphone makes the iphone 4's screen seem wider even though they are the same width
    I agree. It looks silly that it is just made taller. It totally ruins the aspect ratio and will affect all apps that are in the store. unless they are content with placing black bars on the sides. that will end up making the larger screen useless.

As I've said before, Apple is really starting to lose it's ability to be innovative. Seriously, what a damn joke of design if all they did was make the phone a half inch longer and do a metal back this time around.

Of course it will have the usual bump in CPU, CPU speed, possibly RAM and storage capacity, and of course the camera MP.

The same look pretty much for the last 3 years with the iPhone, and that's a damn shame as I was really hoping to be wowed with something innovative that we haven't seen anyone else do yet. I'm having a very hard time believing that this was one of Steve's last projects.

Well, it was probably conceived during his worse days. Steve was a visionary when he was well.
    Anyway, I doubt that there will be much they can do to the design without looking like other phones now. With their frivolous attempts at litigation, no company will have any second thought of filing against them now.

is it just me or wouldnt it make more sense to make the screen longer and wider rather then just wider, and keep the same aspect ratio so the thousands of current apps wouldnt need to be redesigned or have black bars on either end of the screen.
    Would not the main body area of most any app just be expanded further to fill the additional space, similar to how desktop applications behave when you re-size them, expanding and contracting the main body area accordingly? That is, iirc, the main body area of an iOS app should always occupy maximal space, just like a maximized desktop app. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Midget Condoms on his fingers

Quote Originally Posted by soidroidios View Post
    I agree. It looks silly that it is just made taller. It totally ruins the aspect ratio and will affect all apps that are in the store. unless they are content with placing black bars on the sides. that will end up making the larger screen useless.
    I really don't understand why everyone seems to think there would be black bars. I really don't think that will be the case; it would most likely be no different than maximizing the same app on a desktop OS on both a wide screen monitor (16:9 or 16:10 aspect) or a old school square (4:3 or 5:4 aspect), the main portion just stretches to fill the space. If for some reason this doesn't happen than it's a failure in Apple's core framework design.

I don't have much experience with Android, but isn't this how apps generally work there, too? That is, the main portion stretching to fill as much space as it can, header and footer bars stretching horizontally (again, not unlike how desktop apps on most OSes behave when maxed or fullscreened on different monitors, or when just resizing them arbitrarily.)

Should Have Been Wider Too

It's been a long time since the first wide screen monitor has been available and I'm sure old programs that were designed solely for the 4:3 ratio look pretty odd stretched out to a wide screen 16:9.. Programs these days are designed to be compatible with different ratios.. Any current iPhone apps are not

In fact I remember playing old Dos games like frogger and it looking horrible stretched out to my wide screen monitor, so I would have to change the settings to have black bars on either side so it didn't look completely retarded.

Default Agreed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    would not the main body area of most any app just be expanded further to fill the additional space, similar to how desktop applications behave when you re-size them, expanding and contracting the main body area accordingly? That is, iirc, the main body area of an ios app should always occupy maximal space, just like a maximized desktop app. Does this make sense to anyone else?

agreed just like they did with displaying iphone apps on ipads

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ugh. This is gonna be one lanky, dorky-looking phone. Textbook example of Apple giving customers juuuust enough to shut them up for one more year. It wouldn't shock me if this phone wasn't even 4G compatible.

Getting the S3.

Apple is ceasing to impress... if its just a simple software upgrade this is just the iphone 4ss

A longer scrren woah how dull
    Last edited by Mrinfame; 08-04-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks

I dont quite understand the purpose of making it longer...

do we really need an extra row for apps?

doesnt make any sense.

Now making the screen wider... that something they should do

A larger screen is not what I want. Especially not a stretched screen which may look OK watching videos in landscape, but viewing anything in portrait mode just looks so wrong.

I hope this is just another false rumour.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

It's been a long time since the first wide screen monitor has been available and I'm sure old programs that were designed solely for the 4:3 ratio look pretty odd stretched out to a wide screen 16:9.. Programs these days are designed to be compatible with different ratios.. Any current iPhone apps are not

In fact I remember playing old Dos games like frogger and it looking horrible stretched out to my wide screen monitor, so I would have to change the settings to have black bars on either side so it didn't look completely retarded.
    What you're describing is older programs that want to go into full screen, and change the resolution one meant for a 4/3 screen when you have a wide screen, and sometimes you end up with a horizontally stretched image, or one with black bars to the left and right, depending on now the monitor and/or graphics hardware are setup.

What I, and some others, are talking about, is about just re-sizing a window, which is a different matter altogether.

You're talking about full screen apps that want to run at a different resolution than the system is current set at, and sometimes, especially for older games, it's a different aspect ratio (wide vs non-wide.) Most decent LCDs will properly add black bars on the sides so as not to distort the image, but others just stretch all the way.

What I'm talking about is more akin to just resizing/maximizing (or "full-screening" an app in Lion+) an app on a desktop OS, which, as you might have noticed, causes the main area of the app to to change size in order to always consume all available space within the window. Likewise for any head or footer or toolbars bars, they always take up as much room horizontally as they can. There's no reason the same shouldn't be applicable to mobile devices.

Quote Originally Posted by c0deName_ZERO View Post
    agreed just like they did with displaying iphone apps on ipads
    With iPhone apps on the iPad, they aren't actually resizing them as one might expect, but, rather bizarrely, zooming instead. I have no idea why Apple chose this approach, since it's treating an app more like a static image or video, rather than simply resizing them to fill all available space.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The good ol' Pythagoren Theorem says that the screen of the "iPhone 5" is about 4.03 inches diagonally. Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Please, elaborate on what you find so impressive about this or do you just type impressive on anything apple?
    Calm down there, buddy boy. He could have been calling the video itself and the acquisition of these parts impressive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12