Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Kills Apple Motion Requesting the Court Sanction Samsung for Releasing Evidence

Default Judge Kills Apple Motion Requesting the Court Sanction Samsung for Releasing Evidence

Judge Lucy Koh denied an Apple motion filed yesterday requesting the court slam Samsung with sanctions in response to Samsung dishing excluded evidence in the Apple v. Samsung case to media outlets.

Earlier in the week Samsung leaked a great deal of “excluded” evidence (i.e. evidence the court or the companies attorneys deemed not essential/relevant). Samsung defended the decision claiming it was both ethical and lawful, the latter of which is at least true. Koh emphatically sided with Samsung as well with her ruling calling Apple’s requested sanction an:

"unprecedented sanction of outright dismissal of Samsung‘s defenses to its design patent claims, in the guise of an alleged "recommendation" about Samsung‘s release of information that was already publicly available." — Koh
    Also Koh ruled against Apple’s request to enter a judgment finding asserting Apple’s designed patents “valid and infringed.” Koh thereby granted Samsung’s motion to strike Apple’s request that the court give a favorable ruling on Apple’s claims of infringement.

This trial is about as exciting as patent law can be especially considering Phil Schiller's testimony was cut short and will resume next week. Both sides' antics inside and outside of the courtroom is a bonus at this point, but Koh’s comments, especially her claim that Apple’s sanction request was “frivolous at every level”, show the judge has no patience for either companies legal gerrymandering (it’s a word, I swear).

Source: AppleInsider

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 754 Posts

Well from this stand point from the other thread? I would say this shows shes not BIAS! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Well from this stand point from the other thread? I would say this shows shes not BIAS! LOL
    How? That's like me have you and someone else share food BUT the food he gives you you have to share with the public however this rule does not apply to him. Does that feel unfair? Samsung got to have apples prototypes shared after apple got to look at theirs

Is it just me or does that board in the picture look a bit like an ipad? Rectangular, black borders....Everybody should sue anybody's pants off...it feels right though

She is still biased but that was a good call.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Sooo...what if this was a murder trial, and the judge ordered that certain evidence was inadmissible, and for whatever reason, decided it should not be shown to the jury.

The Defenses lawyers however, do not agree. So they decide (with complete disregard to the judges ruling) to release all of this evidence to the media...virtually ensuring that the jury, and any future jury, hear about it in some fashion.

Im no law expert...but I have seen Law & Order a plenty....and I'm pretty sure doing the above is a BIGGG no no in criminal law. So why is it acceptable in a case like this?

Samsungs tactics seem to make a mockery of the entire court...like its not a big deal, and they can do/say whatever they want, with no consequence... Just doesn't make sense to me, and seems to defeat the purpose of the entire process.
    El Zurdo

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Sooo...what if this was a murder trial, and the judge ordered that certain evidence was inadmissible, and for whatever reason, decided it should not be shown to the jury.

The Defenses lawyers however, do not agree. So they decide (with complete disregard to the judges ruling) to release all of this evidence to the media...virtually ensuring that the jury, and any future jury, hear about it in some fashion.

Im no law expert...but I have seen Law & Order a plenty....and I'm pretty sure doing the above is a BIGGG no no in criminal law. So why is it acceptable in a case like this?

Samsungs tactics seem to make a mockery of the entire court...like its not a big deal, and they can do/say whatever they want, with no consequence... Just doesn't make sense to me, and seems to defeat the purpose of the entire process.
    Murder trial is far different than these patent dispute, and the extreme bias is clearly evident

Thumbs up Greedy Filthy Apple
    Karma is coming to get you Apple and is lurking for you at every corner. Used to love Apple so much but the filth and the greed that is and has become everything Apple stands for is revolting.

Have gradually moved to newer and better Androids, ex. my new HTC ONE which really does blow away my iPhone 4S and more.

RIP Apple, you are filthy greedy, you cheat at all costs and you screw over consumers, and you sue any and everyone for any reason while cheating and lying over the true facts both in and out of court.

Apple you also constantly hide the fact from the public that most of the primary iPhone components are manufactured by their competitors. See actual sources of iPhone hardware... (Samsung made CPU in every iPhone to date, solid-state drives are Samsung etc... the list goes on)

Almost nothing that Apple claims to do or has done is new or innovative but actually copied from previous or existing non-Apple product designs.

Long live "true competition" and may monopolizing filthy greedy companies like Apple end up in the ash-bin of history where companies like Apple so rightfully belong.

Oh Happy Days. After having bought 5 iPhones and other iDevices and iPods in the past, I am so glad to be free of the cheating, suing, greed-driven company that Apple has become.

You have completely lost me and so many others as customers.
    Last edited by zeppy; 08-03-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    Karma is coming to get you Apple and is lurking for you at every corner. Used to love Apple so much but the filth and the greed that is and has become everything Apple stands for is revolting.

Have gradually moved to newer and better Androids, ex. my new HTC ONE which really does blow away my iPhone 4S and more.

RIP Apple, you are filthy greedy, you cheat at all costs and you screw over consumers, and you sue any and everyone for any reason while cheating and lying over the true facts both in and out of court.

Apple you also constantly hide the fact from the public that most of the primary iPhone components are manufactured by their competitors. See actual sources of iPhone hardware... (Samsung made CPU in every iPhone to date, solid-state drives are Samsung etc... the list goes on)

Almost nothing that Apple claims to do or has done is new or innovative but actually copied from previous or existing non-Apple product designs.

Long live "true competition" and may monopolizing filthy greedy companies like Apple end up in the ash-bin of history where companies like Apple so rightfully belong.

Oh Happy Days. After having bought 5 iPhones and other iDevices and iPods in the past, I am so glad to be free of the cheating, suing, greed-driven company that Apple has become.

Dude I agree but at this if you go hardware for hardware Apple wins. Like I'm currently looking for a tablet but the iPad is the best right now. I really wanted to find an Android tablet that wowed me but they ain't here yet and I have to buy right now lol. So I'm sticking with apple, I have an iMac, iPod, every iPhone since the first one, and looks like I'm adding an iPad so I guess ima be tied to Apple and iTunes forever lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post

If she allows all the evidence then ill believe this falacy

^^
    Thank you.
    Last edited by fadadman; 08-03-2012 at 09:08 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

I have also vowed to never buy another Apple product. iPhone 4 is my last thing from them.

Post No Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post

I will stick with Apples side, every time Apple releases a new or innovated technology here comes Samsung to release pretty much the same technology on their phones, I would hate to see something that i worked for so hard and probably for so long with no sleep get copied the next day by somebody else who didn't have to sweat because all they did was pretty much copy and paste....

The judge is doing right by not allowing evidence from a Sony suppose design, Sony has nothing to do with the case plus Apple owns these patents therefor Samsung should use other tactics instead of trying to do childs play...Was again Sony never claim such points to be true therefor why is Samsung trying to use something (evidence) that is not even backup or said to be true by Sony.......
    Last edited by dalopez87; 08-03-2012 at 09:34 AM.

How is she biased, because she's Asian? Apple tried to show it's muscles but she didn't want to be bullied. Just because it's similar doesn't mean it's copied.

Quote Originally Posted by dalopez87 View Post
    I will stick with Apples side, every time Apple releases a new or innovated technology here comes Samsung to release pretty much the same technology on their phones, I would hate to see something that i worked for so hard and probably for so long with no sleep get copied the next day by somebody else who didn't have to sweat because all they did was pretty much copy and paste....

The judge is doing right by not allowing evidence from a Sony suppose design, Sony has nothing to do with the case plus Apple owns these patents therefor Samsung should use other tactics instead of trying to do childs play...Was again Sony never claim such points to be true therefor why is Samsung trying to use something (evidence) that is not even backup or said to be true by Sony.......
    Yup, which is why Samsung is suing Apple because technology Samsung worked soooo long on is being used by Apple illegally. Keep drinking that coolaid. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Yup, which is why Samsung is suing Apple because technology Samsung worked soooo long on is being used by Apple illegally. Keep drinking that coolaid. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    +1000

Whew, for the most part, I felt like Apple was going to get it easy. Koh was very much in Apple's side for a while.
    Still, it is really disappointing that evidence like that is ruled out. I mean, what if evidence that proves everything is found late? They will just ignore it because of proceedings? even though it is already the answer they all have been fighting over?

(not saying the samsung evidence is in any way the defining evidence, but just a thought.. what if?)