+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'NetworkKnowledge' Lets You View and Manage Wi-Fi Network History

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'NetworkKnowledge' Lets You View and Manage Wi-Fi Network History

Wi-Fi options in iOS are limited compared to what you can do on your personal computer. From a personal computer you can not only join and disconnect from Wi-Fi networks, but also view a history of every Wi-Fi network you've ever been on and information about those networks. Unfortunately the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad never came with this additional feature, but a new jailbreak tweak dubbed NetworkKnowledge by iOS developer rms aims to give you a little extra control.

NetworkKnowledge is a subtle jailbreak tweak. You won’t even feel like it’s a jailbreak tweak because it’s integrated right into Apple’s own preference panes and doesn’t have any additional details written around it besides what you need to know to use the tweak. This is probably my favorite part about it because it feels like Apple put it there themselves.

To start using NetworkKnowledge after you install it, head over to your Wi-Fi preferences pane and scroll al the way down to find a new cell labeled “Known Networks.” Tapping on that cell will open a new pane, which is illustrated in the screenshots below:

As shown, NetworkKnowledge will show you all of the previous Wi-Fi networks that you’ve ever used on your iOS device. Unfortunately, it doesn’t also show you the passwords to these Wi-Fi networks, but there is a free tool in Cydia that can do that called “WiFi Passwords.”

From this pane, you can tap on the Edit button to remove any of the listed Wi-Fi networks from your Wi-Fi network history. When finished, tap the Done button to exit editing mode. This can be useful because it keeps people from being able to know what networks you have been on for security purposes, as it protects your past locations from nosy people.

For what the tweak does, the 99 asking price might be a little over-the-top, however the additional functionality is cool to have. The usefulness of this kind of information is subjective, but it should make some people happy.

Name: NetworkKnowledge
    Price: 99
    Version: 0.0.1-3
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: rms
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-02-2012 at 01:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can not find any place to download networkknowleedge... i have iphone5 (not jailbroken)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    I can not find any place to download networkknowleedge... i have iphone5 (not jailbroken)
    As it's a jailbreak tweak you will have to wait until you can JB
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok - do you know a app i can get now that makes me able to see the list of saved wifi networks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    ok - do you know a app i can get now that makes me able to see the list of saved wifi networks?
    There isn't one, which is why this app was made - and why there is a great JailBreaking community, to provide things that Apple can't.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

iNet is pretty good for a non jailbreak app. It keeps a record of the networks that you use it on.