Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Acquiring Mobile Tech Security Giant AuthenTec for $356 Million

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Acquiring Mobile Tech Security Giant AuthenTec for $356 Million

We learned Friday that Apple has agreed to buy mobile tech security developer AuthenTec Inc. According to insider accounts, Apple will cough up more than $350 million to close the deal.

If you're not familiar, AuthenTec is a leading maker of a cutting-edge fingerprint sensor technology that, presumably, will come to a future-generation iPhone as the company ramps up efforts to make the device the safest and most secure smartphone on the market today.

Word of the acquisition is not based on rumors or hearsay. AuthenTec indirectly confirmed the deal in a regulatory filing that was issued last night. As a result, company shares exploded 63 percent today as AuthenTec reached $8.25 on Nasdaq.

AuthenTec, which was spun off from Harris Semiconductor in 1998 and went public in 2007, provides mobile security software licenses to companies like Apple's arch rival Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) and provides fingerprint sensor technology to computer makers such as HP and Dell Inc.
    For now, Apple won't publicly discuss its plans for the company or its technology, but analysts widely expect fingerprint technology to reach iDevices sooner rather than later, especially as a new mobile payments platform looms for the Cupertino, California-based tech giant.

Source: Reuters

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

With more security comes fewer exploits, hopefully this won't affect jailbreaking in any way.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    With more security comes fewer exploits, hopefully this won't affect jailbreaking in any way.
    Agreed.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

I'd like to see how they use this in the iPhone. Also with the metal back they could possibly use it as wireless charging. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    doubt it, it just might be theft proof for personal info.. ex: scan finger print to access, bank acct/make payments/access acct without pw or pin on your idevice!
    sounds cool.. but there will always be a jailbreak, M.O.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    doubt it, it just might be theft proof for personal info.. ex: scan finger print to access, bank acct/make payments/access acct without pw or pin on your idevice!
    sounds cool.. but there will always be a jailbreak, M.O.
    Hopefully just that, then maybe I wouldn't see so many threads about people losing their passcodes and having to restore lol.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

dell already uses this kind of technology on its computers.

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    As do many laptop manufacturers. Dell and HP were both mentioned in the article as having that technology.

Apple once again buying out companies just so that no one else can get their hands on the technology that would beat out apple.

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    ...yes, and?

No one uses it on phones. That's why it's mentioned as possibly coming to a phone.

TomTom made GPS units before the iPhone came out in 2007 with Maps on it...you could argue "TomTom has maps in it's GPS devices." But that doesn't really matter, now does it? lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Apple once again buying out companies just so that no one else can get their hands on the technology that would beat out apple.
    You are such a troll. It's wrong for apple to buy a company that has technology they may use? To give them selves any kind of advantage? This is how this industry works.
    Every time I see you post it's just you making some retarded comment about apple. They don't even make sense. I hope your retarded or 12 years old because if your not the only excuse for your comments is that your stupid.

Mmi should introduce a new user title "Troll" that we get to vote people in to having.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 07-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.