+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Talk Resurfaces of HTC Facebook Phone Coming Next Year

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default Talk Resurfaces of HTC Facebook Phone Coming Next Year

The "Facebook Phone" once again reared its rumor-filled little face in the headlines today. This time, Bloomberg tells us that the social networking giant is teaming up with manufacturer HTC for the purpose of creating a Facebook phone that could be released as soon as late spring 2013.

As we know, of Facebook's 900 million registered users, more than half are now accessing the social networking platform via mobile device. Nonetheless, Facebook isn't generating much of any revenue from the mobile ad channel when compared to others in the space.

Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg could use a Facebook phone, with social-networking features built-in, to woo marketers and assuage concerns dragging on the company’s shares.
    Shares of Facebook have fallen nearly 25% since its IPO two months ago.

Sources "with knowledge of the matter" admit that Zuckerberg is nervous about Facebook's perceived inability to break the bank on mobile and wants the device to be an attractive, must-have phone for Facebook junkies and other social networking addicts.

“Usage is shifting to mobile, and they have not been able to monetize mobile,” Victor Anthony, an analyst at Topeka Capital Markets, tells Facebook. “To the extent that it’s a device you own and carry around with you at all times, and it ties into the Facebook experience, it will be beneficial. They could then put a lot of ads onto the platform.”

Source: Bloomberg

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 725 Posts

Idk I'm sure alot of Facebook addicts will have to have it but I don't understand what the difference will e compared to a regular phone and Facebook phone

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,634 Times in 684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Idk I'm sure alot of Facebook addicts will have to have it but I don't understand what the difference will e compared to a regular phone and Facebook phone
    Agreed lol I wouldn't buy one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

The reason why a Facebook styled phone could be popular in the mobile market is because Facebook could essentially monetize the interface, mobile apps (games, utilities, etc), and more importantly, expand and keep the social conglomerate mobile.

Facebook has hundreds of web apps like FarmVille and others that when integrated into a mobile device could prove more stable and obviously ad-filled to the brim. This increases Facebook's sole reason for existing. No ads, no money.

In my opinion, this could be just as popular as 2-way texting devices like the brief, but well-known SideKick. It may be of interest to only a select few buyers, but cult favorites have a tendency to last longer than expectations.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

HTC have already made 2 facebook phones though... :/

The Salsa and the ChaCha

Talk Resurfaces of HTC Facebook Phone Coming Next Year-htc-chacha_htc-salsa.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    HTC have already made 2 facebook phones though... :/

The Salsa and the ChaCha

Attachment 602182
    These phones are not designed by Facebook. They may have Facebook integration, but those devices do not belong to Facebook. iDevices also have Facebook integration, but as we all know, iDevices belong to Apple.

If you can show documentation that Facebook has already designed and produced a phone, then I will gladly retract this post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    The reason why a Facebook styled phone could be popular in the mobile market is because Facebook could essentially monetize the interface, mobile apps (games, utilities, etc), and more importantly, expand and keep the social conglomerate mobile.

Facebook has hundreds of web apps like FarmVille and others that when integrated into a mobile device could prove more stable and obviously ad-filled to the brim. This increases Facebook's sole reason for existing. No ads, no money.

In my opinion, this could be just as popular as 2-way texting devices like the brief, but well-known SideKick. It may be of interest to only a select few buyers, but cult favorites have a tendency to last longer than expectations.
    Good point about all the web apps as games at your finger tips

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

None, this will be an utter failure

Thanks

The only difference I saw with the first FB phone was its inferiority. Guess they are trying again and hopefully this time its better.

Thanks
    If its as good as their FB app, I don't want it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    The only difference I saw with the first FB phone was its inferiority. Guess they are trying again and hopefully this time its better.
    There has never been a Facebook phone. This attempt currently in the works would be the first attempt. The phones that were listed in a previous post are Android devices. Not Facebook devices.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Agreed

Basically the same just Facebook produced games the addicts would like on the go with correct integration but what will attract consumers interest is something Apple, Android, Windows, and Blackberry don't have otherwise it wouldn't sell to
    good hoping for it to boost their IPO
    Last edited by thatboy12345; 07-26-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks

There has never been a Facebook phone. This attempt currently in the works would be the first attempt. The phones that were listed in a previous post are Android devices. Not Facebook devices.
    There have been htc phones as posted above that pretty much have everything revolved around Facebook.

Thanks

There have been htc phones as posted above that pretty much have everything revolved around Facebook.
    I understand that, but my whole point is that Facebook would be designing and branding a phone and HTC would be manufacturing it. Previous phones that centered around Facebook were designed and branded by Google and RIM and use the Android OS, but it wasn't solely Facebook. The article I had read stated that the Facebook phone would be its own OS based primarily on a kind of timeline or event series.

Perhaps my defensiveness is my own fault as I understand what I'm trying to say myself, but as I am unique, not everyone can understand me. Lol

Thanks

I understand that, but my whole point is that Facebook would be designing and branding a phone and HTC would be manufacturing it. Previous phones that centered around Facebook were designed and branded by Google and RIM and use the Android OS, but it wasn't solely Facebook. The article I had read stated that the Facebook phone would be its own OS based primarily on a kind of timeline or event series.

Perhaps my defensiveness is my own fault as I understand what I'm trying to say myself, but as I am unique, not everyone can understand me. Lol
    No it's cool no harm done. Yeah as you were saying its literally literally Facebook OS. I didnt catch that

Green Apple
    Thanks

I understand what your saying because Google and RIM with Android OS wouldn't technically be their phone just a feature but their phone with their own designs and branding a company with manufacturing power it's really their phone

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This phone is for the People that tell everything like what they are doing every five seconds..

Rumors prove that it's for those people who think everyone needs to know what's going on all the time. Some of the rumors are "instant Facebook photo uploading" and "instant location uploading" it's only or people who are really upsessed..

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

At least it'll work better than the POS Facebook app on iPhone.