+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Earth iOS App Gets Update With 3D Maps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple announced iOS 6 at WWDC this year with a big focus on the Maps application, which got a complete overhaul. The Maps application no longer relies on Google Maps
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Earth iOS App Gets Update With 3D Maps

Apple announced iOS 6 at WWDC this year with a big focus on the Maps application, which got a complete overhaul. The Maps application no longer relies on Google Maps technology (the torch was handed to TomTom) and the application now includes a few really awesome and highly demanded features such as turn-by-turn navigation, and 3D maps, which give you the feeling of hovering above cities to see them from the perspective of being in a helicopter. The only catch is these new graphically intensive features are only available on A5 devices.

In an attempt to beat Apple at their own game, Google has updated their Google Earth application today (version 7.0) with 3D maps technology. Granted the application doesn’t come with turn-by-turn navigation, it’s good news to see that Google is stepping up to the plate to bring us some new ways of viewing the world. In addition, the application is iOS 5-compatible, so people that aren’t running an iOS 6 beta release just yet will be able to use 3D maps on their iOS devices.

The only catch is that the application is just as picky as Apple is. Only newer A5 iOS devices can run the 3D maps technology. This means the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad are the only iOS devices that can take advantage of the great new Google Earth update today.

According to the App Store’s update log, the updated Google Earth application also comes with a 'Tour Guide' feature, which allows you to use electronic city tours to your advantage in order to learn about new places you may have never heard of before.

While the update comes in as a great one for Google Earth, the true way to an Apple fan’s heart is to make the great features backwards compatible with devices like the iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, and original iPad. It also would be cool to have turn-by-turn navigation available to us for free as well. iOS hackers have proven that the older devices are perfectly capable of performing these actions regardless of the classic 'graphical horsepower' excuse. Unfortunately, if Google were to integrate these ideas, it may cause friction with Apple’s own rules for the App Store.

You can download the new Google Earth application from this link.

Sources: App Store via CNET
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-26-2012 at 10:13 AM.

What's Jailbreak? dennisdionisio's Avatar
    Thanks

can't download. link not working 😰

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdionisio View Post
    can't download. link not working 😰
    I believe it's only for the US Apple Store :/ . I too am having a problem and it says " Your request could not be completed " .. Can someone upload the .ipa somewhere else please ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdionisio View Post
    can't download. link not working 
    Have you tried opening the App Store and searching for "Google Earth" in the text field?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Have you tried opening the App Store and searching for "Google Earth" in the text field?
    I know the question wasn't addressed to me but i have tried.. And I did not find it

Thanks

No luck. i'm at UAE app store

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what am i missing? i got the new update on my 4s and i have the 3d Buildings option checked, but im not getting 3d views

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leram84 View Post
    what am i missing? i got the new update on my 4s and i have the 3d Buildings option checked, but im not getting 3d views
    It's likely limited to specific areas just like the iOS version. Try a well-known area like Chicago and see if it renders in 3D.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

It's likely limited to specific areas just like the iOS version. Try a well-known area like Chicago and see if it renders in 3D.
    I'm having a similar issue. I live near a city that normally shows as 3D in the PC version, but not iOS. I tried other cities that would be more well known, but I'm not having any luck. At first, I thought it may have something to do with being on 3G, but even on WiFi, the app doesn't render 3D buildings. However, the terrain feature is very nice. Pikes Peak looks great from Colorado Springs.

Edit: Nevermind on the whole not working for 3D buildings. It works great, but only for a very few select cities. Worked in Rome.
    Last edited by Hillefied; 07-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

No iPhone 4, damn.

Thanks

Works on an iPhone 4S (UK AppStore). Search for the Golden Gate Bridge and that views no problem rendering in 3D. In regards to the actual app good on Google! Competition forces Apple to compete an ultimately results in innovation...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Works on an iPhone 4S (UK AppStore). Search for the Golden Gate Bridge and that views no problem rendering in 3D. In regards to the actual app good on Google! Competition forces Apple to compete an ultimately results in innovation...
    While I do agree about the innovation from competition, Apple has limitations to its innovation. Google has penetrated into nearly every facet of worldwide mobility. While Apple is growing exponentially in their own worldwide market share, they are fettered to just apple products that they continually approve upon. IMHO - Innovation is better suited to those that create, not those who rebuild. Having said that, I still believe that Apple started the trend in modern mobile innovation, but they haven't stuck to that motif.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Agreed with Google and everyone else knowing Apple to drop Google for Maps and release a revamped version of it in iOS 6 later in the fall Google pushes theirs out first 1-2 months before Apple possibly to impress consumers and push them to not even want to look Apple's
    Last edited by thatboy12345; 07-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

only works in very limited places

but it looks cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone djjessejames's Avatar
    Tha Hills & Valley of the Sticky Icky Icky...ooo wee.
    Thanks

Lol

Thanks
    I hope this will be available to all "iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.Requires iOS 4.3 or later" users...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You guys are all wrong. The update is available in Canada and U.S not just the U.S!!!! Go to the Appstore and go to the updates tab and install the update for google earth!!!! So simple!!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainCubX View Post
    I hope this will be available to all "iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.Requires iOS 4.3 or later" users...
    Yo? Why don't you Update to ios 5.1.1 there is a Jailbreak available!!

Thanks

Can someone be generous enough to upload the ipa somewhere so non-US app store users can download this.. 😃👍

Thanks

[QUOTE=magoo757;6629575]You guys are all wrong. The update is available in Canada and U.S not just the U.S!!!! Go to the Appstore and go to the updates tab and install the update for google earth!!!! So simple!!

Okey so U.S AND Canada. But there's still other countries that can't get that app. So can someone please upload the .ipa to mediafire or something like that ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yeah, i guess u guys are right... i thought for sure nyc would be on the list. oh well