+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: View the Time in Full-Screen Apps With 'NCTabClock'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default View the Time in Full-Screen Apps With 'NCTabClock'

When youíre in full-screen applications, such as the ZombieSmash game illustrated above, you cannot see the time in the status bar because there is no status bar. Itís also not preferred to close the application to see the status bar nor to open Notification Center in the middle of a game because then you interrupt your gaming. However, one issue still remains: How do you know when to call it quits when you canít even see the time?

A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed NCTabClock by iOS developer Jonathan Bailey has just been released into Cydia in an attempt to help full-screen application users see the time when itís just nowhere to be found. In addition, the tweak will not force you to pause your game or interrupt your gaming to see the time.

As shown above, the tweak places the time right on the Notification Center grabber tab. This means that you can continue to play your game while just using a simple swipe gesture to see the time. It doesnít force you to open Notification Center either Ė just to toggle the discrete Notification Center grabber tab. Even more good news is that it goes away automatically, so if youíre busy in a game, you donít have to worry about it getting in the way or having to dismiss it manually

NCTabClock has no options to configure, which is unfortunately the tweakís only real downfall. There is no way to enable and disable the tweak on demand without uninstalling it. What's more is the time is forced to display in 24-hour time, which not everyone is used to. In a future update, it would be great to be able to switch to 12-hour time format since that is the default time style in iOS and is greatly preferred among users. It does require iOS 5 since it relies on the Notification Center grabber tab.

If you find yourself playing a lot of full-screen games or using full-screen apps, this tweak is worth trying out since it will help you see the time without bothering your work environment. I can completely relate to wanting something like this because I have been addicted to ZombieSmash for the last week.

Name: NCTabClock
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Jonathan Bailey
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

duzap (07-25-2012)

Thanks

Have you tried this with other apps? Any problems?If not, I might actually try this.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Have you tried this with other apps? Any problems?If not, I might actually try this.
    It leeches onto the Notification Center grabber tab, so anywhere you can pull it up, you will be able to see the tweak in action. It works everywhere the Notification Center grabber tab works.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

confucious (07-25-2012)

Thanks

Great tweak. It would also be interesting to see options for battery power.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone know how to turn off military time? Mine seems to be stuck on it and it only shows me the first two digits. I don't have that military time anywhere else on my phone.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Does anyone know how to turn off military time? Mine seems to be stuck on it and it only shows me the first two digits. I don't have that military time anywhere else on my phone.
    I just installed this & have the 24 hour time as well. My does show all 4 digits, but I don't want military time. It has to be something with the tweak.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

it would be nice if it had the option to enable battery percentage only as well

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seems great!

Thanks

The developer e-mailed me back saying that he has submitted an update. The tweak will now auto-detect what kind of time setting you are using. If you are using the 12-hour time format, the tweak will display the time in 12-hour time format. If you are using the 24-hour time format, the tweak will display the time in 24-hour time format. You can expect the update to be live sometime in the next 24 hours. Just be patient.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The developer e-mailed me back saying that he has submitted an update. The tweak will now auto-detect what kind of time setting you are using. If you are using the 12-hour time format, the tweak will display the time in 12-hour time format. If you are using the 24-hour time format, the tweak will display the time in 24-hour time format. You can expect the update to be live sometime in the next 24 hours. Just be patient.
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick response Anthony.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

wow that's awesome! I hate going to lockscreen to see the time. Very nice

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know what else works great? ....a watch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
    You know what else works great? ....a watch.
    So does an atomic clock; they work really great.

Thanks

Pretty cool...I'd like to be able to see the entire status bar though. I hate having to close the game to view signal strength or battery percentage.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Pretty cool...I'd like to be able to see the entire status bar though. I hate having to close the game to view signal strength or battery percentage.
    You pull down the whole NC, duh

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In version 2 which I went live through Cydia a few days ago, you can now add the battery to the tab. And the look of the tab is improved, so it is more native.
    http://apt.thebigboss.org/onepackage...nctabclock&db=