+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Provide Adapter for Next Generation iPhone Dock Connector

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Apple Could Provide Adapters for Next Generation iPhone Dock Connector

It has been all but proven that the next generation iPhone will feature a new kind of housing case that is slightly similar to what we use now in the iPhone 4S, but with some noticeable changes. Apart from what looks like a larger screen, different speaker grilles, and port placement, the dock connector appears to have changed to a smaller design – a 19-pin connector instead of the classic 30-pin connector that Apple has used for so long in their device lineup.

The change leaves users wondering what is to become of their existing accessories for their iPhones. Since the new dock connector is reportedly smaller and shaped differently than the current generation iPhone dock connector, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that it’s going to leave a large amount of Apple’s third party accessories useless until new versions of these accessories are produced.

For users that don’t feel like shelling out large numbers of dollars out of their pocket for updated third party accessories to go with the new iPhone, good news arises from credible sources, which suggests Apple will be creating their own adapter for the new dock connector. This means users will be able to use their new iPhone with outdated third party accessories without having to upgrade to newer accessories made specifically for the supposed new dock connector.

It is also important to consider that depending on the type of accessory, the adapter may not be sufficient enough to work with it. Some accessories are so tightly molded into the bodily shape of the iPhone that there wouldn’t be any room for some kind of adapter. Use of this kind of connector by Apple would be highly subjective, but that’s not to say it would be useless. Backwards compatibility is always welcome.

Knowing Apple, the adapter would likely be sold as a separate part.

Sources: iMore via MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's already a given, Apple is not going to change to a whole new standard without giving their customers an easy way to convert.

Thanks

Theres no way on earth they'll provide it for free, gurantee it'll cost at least 20 bucks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Um, does anyone else think this is a really bad idea?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well um wouldn't the device come with the cord when it is bought. I mean all the rest of the generations did.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Theres no way on earth they'll provide it for free, gurantee it'll cost at least 20 bucks.
    I say 10 but all new devices will come with it

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EntraVoxe View Post
    Well um wouldn't the device come with the cord when it is bought. I mean all the rest of the generations did.
    The native cord, yes. An adapter to use the older cord with the new iPhone, no.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jabij1's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like the look of the new speakers...

iPhone? More like MyPhone KernelPad's Avatar
    Thanks

mod edit; quote removed.

Second, this a good idea and bad idea, good is that it's smaller than current cord, bad all of us will have to buy the new core, not sure if it's free.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-23-2012 at 07:53 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I say 10 but all new devices will come with it
    Not a chance of 10, and the new phone won't come with a free one, Apple want your money, they will just provide the new style cable

Thanks

right, but this would be apple dock connector to mag safe connection.
    They alo have to make it where data can pass through, not just power. Not everyone uses the Cloud... yet

Green Apple
    Thanks

cant wait to buy one for 10 cents on amazon

Thanks

Apple's new devices always come with power cord. For those who doesn't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple.

Thanks

Is the headphone jack on the bottom!? Nnnoooooooooooooo...I freakin HATE that!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok I think this is really a stupid idea of apple if they gunna do this cuz then how u gunna use your docks/music systems with the iPhone? Your going to have to buy another one. It's gunna be a pain for costomers and the factory's that build the docks and music system but they could buy the adapter but that would still take a few bucks
    Last edited by xXR3H@NXx.; 07-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Is the headphone jack on the bottom!? Nnnoooooooooooooo...I freakin HATE that!!
    I love it. It's just the way I put my iPod in my pocket is why I prefer a bottom headphone jack.

Thanks

Duh

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think it should be provided for free. Any accessory of an iDevice should be compatible with newer devices and if changes are made that should be accomodated by Apple. It's ridiculous but I know that Apple will for sure sell it separately. It's stupid we can't use our older accessories for a newer device like it has been since the beginning of iDevices without an adapter. We bought Apple's products before, we bought accessories for Apple products before, why the heck shouldn't we get an adapter for free. Oh well, that's Apple for ya.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    That's already a given, Apple is not going to change to a whole new standard without giving their customers an easy way to convert.
    Oh yeah? What about all of the retina macbook pro consumers that can't utilize their external hard drives that use FW800 because of apple's lack of a conversion method?