+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Invoke A WolframAlpha Search From Anywhere With 'Wolfram Quick Search'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default Invoke A WolframAlpha Search From Anywhere With 'Wolfram Quick Search'

WolframAlpha is a very useful site where you can ask questions of all kinds and get intelligent, automatic answers. You can also almost anything – defining words, requesting to know how tall basketball players are, or even solving complex math problems. The site can be used from the Safari Web browser, through their App Store application ($1.99), or even through Siri if you have a Siri-enabled iOS device.

All of these solutions have a problem: Using the application requires you to find it on your home screen, wait for it to load, and then query your question. Opening the Mobile Safari Web browser requires you to find the browser on your home screen, get to the Web site, wait for it to load, and then query your question. The problem with Siri is that not all devices have it. Whether your device just isn’t capable or you hate all the waiting to use WolframAlpha, a new jailbreak tweak will make using it a lot faster and more efficient.

Dubbed Wolfram Quick Search by iOS developer flux, the free jailbreak tweak allows the user to invoke an Activator action from anywhere – whether you're in an application, on the home screen, or even on the lock screen – to launch a dialog box with a text field where you can send your query directly to WolframAlpha. The query will launch the Safari Web browser with your query all loaded up for you so you can view your results from WolframAlpha. If you have the application installed on your iOS device, the tweak will still launch Mobile Safari instead of the app, which we did find a little odd.

Wolfram Quick Search doesn’t have any options to configure apart from selecting the Activator action that you would like to use to toggle the text field dialog box. It does make it easier to perform a WolframAlpha query since it requires fewer steps from the user. It also integrates nicely into iOS. Those that use Siri will probably be better off sticking with Siri rather than using this tweak since Siri is even easier to use than having to manually type out a query using this tweak.

Being that the tweak is free and helps users reduce amount of steps and time necessary to perform a useful action, we can certainly recommend the tweak. It’s always useful to have access to WolframAlpha.

Name: Wolfram Quick Search
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: Activator
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: flux
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: flux

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i love how many people hate on siri and its features yet it has all of this. i mean they probably love tweaks like this etc. but they hate siri even though siri implements this.

anyway nice tweak!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Please explain to me why this doesn't launch the app when it's installed. That's just re-donkqulous.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    Please explain to me why this doesn't launch the app when it's installed. That's just re-donkqulous.
    Hi,
    iOS uses something called URL Schemes to open apps, with specific functions. As far as I know, the Wolfram Alpha app does not have a URL scheme. So to open a query in it would require some amount of reverse engineering, which isn't feasible, really. Even then, I am looking into this, and I'll see what I can do.
    -flux

5. The Following User Says Thank You to caughtinflux For This Useful Post:

confucious (07-23-2012)

Thanks

First time I used it it took me to the web site and told me they have an iPad app (which I have installed!)
    I'd prefer it to use the app because of the extended keyboard but for quick look-ups this is a great tweak - and the price is right!

Thanks
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    i love how many people hate on siri and its features yet it has all of this. i mean they probably love tweaks like this etc. but they hate siri even though siri implements this.

anyway nice tweak!
    That doesn't make SIRI any better or smarter.
    SIRI is still like an 8 year old child....