+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: In-App Hack Makes its Way to Mac App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default In-App Hack Makes its Way to Mac App Store
    The hacker behind the in-app iOS purchase hack has started focusing on bringing the hack to the Mac OS platform. And it works.

The Mac OS hack utilizes a similar work around on the user side involving the installations of specific security certificates on their machines. Unlike the iOS version though the hack requires the installation a helper program. The program is entitled “Grim Receiper.”

Apple is still mum on the Mac OS X exploit, but users and developers should expect a swift response in the same vein as Apple’s post on their developer site detailing the temporary fix for iOS, and addressing the permanent fix coming in iOS 6 (most likely a Mountain Lion update). The use of a program to work around OS X’s app store could prove

Initial reports estimated that some 30,000 free downloads occurred in the first day after the hack became public. The Next Web now claims that before the fix became available iOS users made as many as 8.4 million free purchases. There is no word on whether Apple and developers can or will charge users for purchases made using the hack.

Source: CNET

Green Apple
    Thanks

mod edit; comments removed.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-21-2012 at 07:11 PM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Piracy is not tolerated on modmyi. Please consider reading Forum Rules

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (07-21-2012), GrandMasterB (07-22-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that guy has skills. maybe apple should give him a job.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    that guy has skills. maybe apple should give him a job.
    Anyone can find a glitch or hack in the system. We could say the same about the iPhone Dev Team members but look at them, no job from Apple. Exploiting something means nothing to Apple really.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Banned
    Thanks

Instead of Apple doing the smart thing and fix their faults I bet they will try to sue the guy who found it and attack him instead.

They don't like to admit they have any problems. Apple is NO WAY perfect but they love to think so. Typical American company.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Instead of Apple doing the smart thing and fix their faults I bet they will try to sue the guy who found it and attack him instead.

They don't like to admit they have any problems. Apple is NO WAY perfect but they love to think so. Typical American company.
    Typical American company?
    That's any company.

Thanks

No company is perfect. Please point out a company that is.

As for the American part, all companies would like to think they're the best. Confidence is important for business and your argument is stupid and flawed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple did admit the problem. They are letting devs use their servers for in app purchases and said they have a permanent fix in ios 6. Research before you start saying what they will and won't do and starting insulting their business practices.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 07-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This clown is why we have proposals like PIPA and SOPA and the like...wish people would stop feeling so entitled! We don't want the government telling us what we can and can't do yet we have people who feel the need to steal from others...come on now!

I know someone is going to say this isn't the same as people downloading movies and music and t.v. shows, but seriously, when one wants to get something without paying for it, it's all pretty much the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    Anyone can find a glitch or hack in the system. We could say the same about the iPhone Dev Team members but look at them, no job from Apple. Exploiting something means nothing to Apple really.
    I swear that 3 or 4 jailbreak devs/jailbreak exploiters now work for Apple...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CeeDiggity View Post
    This clown is why we have proposals like PIPA and SOPA and the like...wish people would stop feeling so entitled! We don't want the government telling us what we can and can't do yet we have people who feel the need to steal from others...come on now!

I know someone is going to say this isn't the same as people downloading movies and music and t.v. shows, but seriously, when one wants to get something without paying for it, it's all pretty much the same.
    The one who created the hack is in now way responsible for people who "use it to get free purchases", in other words he is not responsible for those people use the hack to steal. You don't use your legally owned gun to rob banks or kill people, do you? If you would, would the manufacturer held responsible? Of course no.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    If you would, would the manufacturer held responsible? Of course no.
    ....maybe.

If I were the person using the "legally owned tool" for unlegal purposes, I probably wouldn't get much sympathy from a Judge or Jury. But if I were a victim who suffered injury caused by this "legally owned tool" I might also hold the manufacturer responsible, and I might even have had a decent shot at winning.

not since 2005 though
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/wa...on/10guns.html

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    I swear that 3 or 4 jailbreak devs/jailbreak exploiters now work for Apple...
    Not really. Comex is pretty much the only one, and he's just an intern...
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks

The one who created the hack is in now way responsible for people who "use it to get free purchases", in other words he is not responsible for those people use the hack to steal. You don't use your legally owned gun to rob banks or kill people, do you? If you would, would the manufacturer held responsible? Of course no.
    This 'hack' is created with the sole purpose of stealing (wether from just the developers or from those foolish enough to use it remains to be seen). The perpetrator should be bought to justice.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I even don't know who I really am
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,996 Times in 2,349 Posts

What are you going to say next? Terrorists should fly a plane into HQ in Cupertino, California?
    Why are you hating on America? His comment should be removed. This individual is obviously prejudice.

Thanks

Wow..when is this going to stop! Blatant piracy is wrong on all levels. Hackers like this just put a negative spotlight on modding in general as most don't know the difference to begin with. Think about it..this could fuel Apple's anti jailbreak campaign that much more. Then will all be like "what happened to the jailbreak community?" "My iPhone is not nearly as good as it used to be" I think this could be the beginning of something really bad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh really? How can you even compare this to a legally owned gun?

There is nothing legal about this... FWIW, anyone who is stupid enough to trust a russian criminal (he losses the moniker of hacker when he crossed the legal line) by installing faked security certificates on either thier iDevice of MAC deserves the potential future problems they’they’re inviting into thier system.

With all of the argements over which is mor secure, PC or MAC I'd say this proves it was never about the system, the user is always the weak point in security!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPod View Post
    Piracy is not tolerated on modmyi. Please consider reading Forum Rules
    Yet they clearly promote piracy on the front page (YouTube2MP3 on the top right of page) and have done for years they even host apps that cost money to illegally download music videos and films

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    This 'hack' is created with the sole purpose of stealing (wether from just the developers or from those foolish enough to use it remains to be seen). The perpetrator should be bought to justice.
    They hired some cydia devs well b4 comex even started goin there
    Last edited by high dB; 07-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Apple did admit the problem. They are letting debs use their servers for in app purchases and said they have a permanent fix in ios 6. Research before you start saying what they will and won't do and starting insulting their business practices.
    +1

22. The Following User Says Thank You to domenicp For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (07-22-2012)