+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New Jailbreak Tweak Brings Classic Typewriter Sounds to iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,985
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 863 Times in 629 Posts

    Default New Jailbreak Tweak Brings Classic Typewriter Sounds to iOS


    Last week we showed you an application for Mac OS X that could make your computer emit the sounds of a classic typewriter as you typed on your keyboard. It mimicked the ticking noise of the typewriter, the dinging noise of starting a new line, and it made typing fun. Some people really liked the feedback of the typewriter sound when typing on the keyboard, so it was only a matter of time before someone brought it to iOS.

    The new tweak, dubbed iTypeWriter by iOS developer skram, is now available in Cydia from the ModMyi repository for just 99. iTypeWriter will give you the typewriter sounds on your iOS device as you type – it includes the keyboard noises and the ding sound that is made when you force a new line. When you install the tweak, you will find a preferences pane in the Settings application:



    The tweak can be enabled and disabled on demand and it comes with an additional feature that the Mac OS X version of this application could not offer – haptic feedback. The iPhone has a vibrator module in it, meaning that it’s capable of giving you some vibration feedback each time you tap on a keyboard key. The Mac on the other hand, does not have a vibrator module that can offer haptic feedback while typing. This feature does not work on the iPod touch or the iPad because neither of those iOS devices have a vibrator module either. Haptic feedback can also be enabled or disabled on demand – it will use more battery when enabled since you are invoking the vibrator each time you type.

    The sound of the audio while you are typing is very clear and accurate with your keystrokes. The tweak also works in every application that you are capable of typing in – not just the Notes application as demonstrated above. After a while, the sound of a typewriter might get to you, but it’s still a fun feature to have on your iPhone. If you haven’t checked out the Mac version of this application yet, you can also give that one a try from this link.

    Name: iTypeWriter
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iPhone (for haptic feedback only)
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: skram
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

    Sources: skram
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-20-2012 at 11:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    would be cool to have this for the whole phones typing

  3. #3
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,985
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 863 Times in 629 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ca3sar View Post
    would be cool to have this for the whole phones typing
    I'm not sure what you mean? It works in every application you can type in.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,867
    Thanks
    1,457
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 1,692 Posts

    It really is a cool tweak and much more than just a single keystroke sound.

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,452
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 150 Times in 108 Posts

    Im going to give it a try. I remember the Saurik Theme had a typewriter keyboard sound that I used to love..hope this one is just as good.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Bought this but it doesn't work. The app is installed but can't access the settings to activate it. Any help would be appreciated!

  7. #7
    Green Apple pasmaczek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    Bought this but it doesn't work. The app is installed but can't access the settings to activate it. Any help would be appreciated!
    same problem I'm having...
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR="#ff3399"]
    Devices
    White iPhone 5S 16 gb on 7.04; Aluminum MacBook Air on 10.8.2; White the New iPad 32 gb on 7.0.4 Jailbroken

  8. #8
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I will retry, seemed to only work in notepad

    only works in notepad

    Quote Originally Posted by ca3sar View Post
    I will retry, seemed to only work in notepad

    only works in notepad
    Ok works for me. Disable and enable it. Then test
    Last edited by ca3sar; 07-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.

  9. #9
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,985
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 863 Times in 629 Posts

    Try disabling and enabling the tweak from the Settings application. This will get it working. It seems to be a minor bug, but it won't keep you from using the tweak.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ca3sar View Post
    I will retry, seemed to only work in notepad

    only works in notepad



    Ok works for me. Disable and enable it. Then test
    Two issues
    1) I don't have this option appearing in settings as described. So I can't even enable or disable the tweak!
    2) if this tweak is only for notepad, then it is very disappointing for a tweak.
    The tweak description is to replace any keyboard clicks with a typewriter sound - not only notepad, but anywhere the keyboard is used.

  11. #11
    Green Apple skram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    Two issues
    1) I don't have this option appearing in settings as described. So I can't even enable or disable the tweak!
    2) if this tweak is only for notepad, then it is very disappointing for a tweak.
    The tweak description is to replace any keyboard clicks with a typewriter sound - not only notepad, but anywhere the keyboard is used.
    im the developer of this tweak, it is NOT only for notepad. It's works system wide anywhere the keyboard is used. A few users have mentioned after rebooting their device everything worked as expected. Try that, in the meantime im working on an update.
    Last edited by skram; 07-20-2012 at 11:34 PM.

  12. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skram View Post
    im the developer of this tweak, it is now only for notepad. It's works system wide anywhere the keyboard is used. A few users have mentioned after rebooting their device everything worked as expected. Try that, in the meantime im working on an update.
    Thanks for providing some feedback. It is great to hear from the developer.
    I have reinstalled and rebooted my iPhone - several times each!
    Unfortunately, the option isn't showing in settings.

    I have no idea what is happening.
    Good luck on debugging the tweak. I was looking forward to this cool tweak for the iPhone. Btw - would this work on the iPad

  13. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pasmaczek View Post
    same problem I'm having...
    make sure to disable sound clicks in settings>sounds>keyboard clicks

  14. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DaUub View Post
    make sure to disable sound clicks in settings>sounds>keyboard clicks
    Yes this fixed it for me.

  15. #15
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    315
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    i totally confused the other typewriter tweak for this kind of tweak. i'm looking forward to taking my passport-powered iphone into starbucks and start clicking away!

  16. #16
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 38 Times in 31 Posts

    This is a bad *** tweak...now that I figured out how to make it work. Turning off keyboard clicks is a must.

  17. #17
    Green Apple skram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    Thanks for providing some feedback. It is great to hear from the developer.
    I have reinstalled and rebooted my iPhone - several times each!
    Unfortunately, the option isn't showing in settings.

    I have no idea what is happening.
    Good luck on debugging the tweak. I was looking forward to this cool tweak for the iPhone. Btw - would this work on the iPad
    That is very weird, I haven't got a report from anyone with stating that it didnt load settings at all. Maybe you don't have PreferenceLoader installed? Do you have PreferenceLoader installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by pasmaczek View Post
    same problem I'm having...
    Please try enabling/disabling it via Settings, and or Reboot your device. You only have to do it once. I submitted an update that should address this issue, and waiting approval.
    Last edited by skram; 07-20-2012 at 11:44 PM.

  18. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skram View Post
    That is very weird, I haven't got a report from anyone with stating that it didnt load settings at all. Maybe you don't have PreferenceLoader installed? Do you have PreferenceLoader installed?
    Skram - I can confirm I don't have preferenceLoader installed.

    I have the following job apps installed
    Activator
    Airplane sbsettings
    Appanalytics
    App list
    Australian bom weather+
    Blackout
    Brightness switcher
    Bug fix:duplicate icons
    Bug fix: stuck pages
    Calendar pro for notification centre
    Call bar
    Call bar sbsettings
    Call tap
    Color keyboard
    Covermenot
    Crash reporter
    Cyntact
    Data usage monitor
    Eric's utilities
    Fastclear
    Icleaner
    Ifile
    Inetusage
    Itypewriter
    Lockdown pro
    Multicleaner
    Multistorey
    Music controls pro
    Netmeter
    Netmeter widget for NC
    Omnistat
    Password pilot pro
    Photo albums+
    Pkgbackup
    Powersounddisabler
    Protectmyprivacy
    Protecti
    Reset allkiller
    Ringer x VIP
    Sbsettings
    Simple date for NC
    Software update killer
    Springtomize2 os5
    Start dial
    Tap volume to mute
    Torch
    Unlockize
    Wifi analyser
    Zephyr
    3G unrestrictor

    Oh yes - running os5.1.1 iPhone 4s

    (apologies for the names of the apps. The iPad is autocorrecting them on the fly!)

    Hope this info helps.

  19. #19
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,985
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 863 Times in 629 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yorrick View Post
    Skram - I can confirm I don't have preferenceLoader installed.

    I have the following job apps installed
    Activator
    Airplane sbsettings
    Appanalytics
    App list
    Australian bom weather+
    Blackout
    Brightness switcher
    Bug fix:duplicate icons
    Bug fix: stuck pages
    Calendar pro for notification centre
    Call bar
    Call bar sbsettings
    Call tap
    Color keyboard
    Covermenot
    Crash reporter
    Cyntact
    Data usage monitor
    Eric's utilities
    Fastclear
    Icleaner
    Ifile
    Inetusage
    Itypewriter
    Lockdown pro
    Multicleaner
    Multistorey
    Music controls pro
    Netmeter
    Netmeter widget for NC
    Omnistat
    Password pilot pro
    Photo albums+
    Pkgbackup
    Powersounddisabler
    Protectmyprivacy
    Protecti
    Reset allkiller
    Ringer x VIP
    Sbsettings
    Simple date for NC
    Software update killer
    Springtomize2 os5
    Start dial
    Tap volume to mute
    Torch
    Unlockize
    Wifi analyser
    Zephyr
    3G unrestrictor

    Oh yes - running os5.1.1 iPhone 4s

    (apologies for the names of the apps. The iPad is autocorrecting them on the fly!)

    Hope this info helps.
    Install PreferenceLoader. You need that to display third party preference panes. It doesn't even make sense that you have a tweak that needs PreferenceLoader installed without PreferenceLoader.

  20. #20
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Install PreferenceLoader. You need that to display third party preference panes. It doesn't even make sense that you have a tweak that needs PreferenceLoader installed without PreferenceLoader.
    Anthony - you are indeed correct. PreferenceLoader is installed.
    I had set the cydia settings to "user". I need it to be on "hacker" or "developer" to see it.

    As you can work out by now - I am a mere "user" (and amateur ... or an older newbie)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts