Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Strength Evident in Verizon Q2 Earnings

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default iPhone Strength Evident in Verizon Q2 Earnings

On Thursday, Verizon reported earnings for the second fiscal quarter of 2012 and Apple's iPhone took center stage in the details revealed.

Approximately half of all smartphone-owning Verizon subscribers now own an iPhone. A huge boost in Verizon iPhone ownership came in the second quarter of 2012 on the back of 2.7 million new iPhone sales. Verizon's Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said Verizon sold 2.9 million Android-powered smartphones in Q2, of which most were 4G LTE handsets.

Perhaps more interesting than sales data, however, was the hint by Shammo that a new iPhone is coming in the fourth quarter of this year. On today's earnings call, he expressly stated that he believes the 6th generation iPhone will arrive at a time consistent with the October projections we've been hearing so much about.

And Verizon, undoubtedly, will continue to see financial gains related to the iPhone, especially as the next-gen device turns up.

“Verizon Wireless has once again demonstrated its industry leadership, combining strong revenue growth with record margins and high customer loyalty,” Lowell McAdam, Verizon’s chief executive, said as Verizon reported earnings today. "Verizon delivered another strong quarter of earnings growth and cash generation, and we remain on track to meet our financial objectives and produce solid double-digit earnings growth for the year."

To read a full earnings summary directly from Verizon, click here.

Source: Verizon

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iPhone ownership came in the second quarter of 2012 on the back of 2.7 million new iPhone sales. Verizon's Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said Verizon sold 2.9 million Android-powered smartphones in Q2
    And Verizon, undoubtedly, will continue to see financial gains related to the iPhone, especially as the next-gen device turns up.
    By the numbers given, I guess not as good as Android-powered smartphones?

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    By the numbers given, I guess not as good as Android-powered smartphones?
    But compare that to the different choices of Android smart phones, it says a lot about the iPhone and iOS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
    But compare that to the different choices of Android smart phones, it says a lot about the iPhone and iOS.
    Not really. You only have one provider for iOS hardware. Android comes on hardware in many form factors, allowing the end user to select what is appropriate for them (I'm really liking my 4.8" screen). Most people I know that have an iPhone have it because it's "cool" or all their friends have it and that is what they "have" to have so that they can fit in (lemmings anyone?). I've got a 1st gen iPad (what this is being typed on), and had an iPhone 4 (sold it to a girl who wanted one because her friends all had one and she wanted to be like them - her words paraphrased). I was glad to get rid of it because even JB it couldn't do what my S III can, not to mention not being LTE or SVDO capable.
    The upcoming one will go over well, but like Shania's song says, IOS 6 " Don't impress me much".
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

[QUOTE=Tperry;6621958]Not really. You only have one provider for iOS hardware. Android comes on hardware in many form factors, allowing the end user to select what is appropriate for them (I'm really liking my 4.8" screen). Most people I know that have an iPhone have it because it's "cool" or all their friends have it and that is what they "have" to have so that they can fit in (lemmings anyone?). I've got a 1st gen iPad (what this is being typed on), and had an iPhone 4 (sold it to a girl who wanted one because her friends all had one and she wanted to be like them - her words paraphrased). I was glad to get rid of it because even JB it couldn't do what my S III can, not to mention not being LTE or SVDO capable.
    The upcoming one will go over well, but like Shania's song says, IOS 6 " Don't impress me much".[

Man you stupid you answered your own question 2.9 million android phones sold compared to 2.7 million iPhones how android beat the iPhone. Android is software not device so iPhone wins all the way around. People that don't got an iPhone want one can't just afford it so they get the next cheapest thing android better yet Samsung htc my touch lol and all those other band wagon makers holding androids nuts iPhone is the iPhone no need for multiple devices to increase iOS just the iPhone.
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
    Finally, few that realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by takenlife View Post
    Finally, few that realize this.
    *thumbs up*
    Last edited by takenlife; 07-20-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbebe View Post
    Man you stupid you answered your own question 2.9 million android phones sold compared to 2.7 million iPhones how android beat the iPhone. Android is software not device so iPhone wins all the way around. People that don't got an iPhone want one can't just afford it so they get the next cheapest thing android better yet Samsung htc my touch lol and all those other band wagon makers holding androids nuts iPhone is the iPhone no need for multiple devices to increase iOS just the iPhone.
    Seeing as there are several Android phones that cost as much as an iPhone, they probably don't have an iPhone because they don't want one.

I still use my Samsung Galaxy S more often than I use my iPhone 4, and I won't be buying another when my contract renews. I'll most likely be getting another Samsung. I personally found it more impressive, and I like Android's functionality better. Especially the keyboard, which makes the biggest difference to me. It's 2012 Apple! You want to make ios impressive? Predictive text....it's only been around for over ten years now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bish0p34 View Post
    Seeing as there are several Android phones that cost as much as an iPhone, they probably don't have an iPhone because they don't want one.

I still use my Samsung Galaxy S more often than I use my iPhone 4, and I won't be buying another when my contract renews. I'll most likely be getting another Samsung. I personally found it more impressive, and I like Android's functionality better. Especially the keyboard, which makes the biggest difference to me. It's 2012 Apple! You want to make ios impressive? Predictive text....it's only been around for over ten years now.
    Yeah, apparently he has problems comprehending what he reads. I CLEARLY stated that I owned both, which would lead a person of NORMAL reading ability to the fact that I could afford it. Both my iPhone and Samsung S III were purchased out of contract and were the largest storage capacity being sold. I was happy to take a loss on the iPhone because I just got sick of it being so incapacitated by IOS even JB compared to ICS. Some iPhone users are so stuck on the taste of the Kool-aide that they can never admit to the superiorities that Android has. I'm going to be interested in seeing if Apple ever does notification on the task bar like Android and how they try to spin that they "innovated" that. IOS could be nice if Apple didn't keep a death fri on the interface. Guess that's why older people like it, it's "simple" for the technologically challenged.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.