+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T to Begin Offering Shared Data Plans in "Late August"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T recently announced its shift towards shared data plans, which is scheduled to take place in late August. The move was inevitable following Verizon’s move to shared data plans just
    Thanks

Default AT&T to Begin Offering Shared Data Plans in "Late August"

AT&T recently announced its shift towards shared data plans, which is scheduled to take place in late August. The move was inevitable following Verizon’s move to shared data plans just last month, The company’s new system offers a similar setup to that of Verizon’s, with all plans including unlimited talk, text, and monthly service pricing being based on the total data cap chosen and number of devices being used.

AT&T stated the following:

With AT&T Mobile Share plans, customers start by choosing how much data they want each month, then choose up to 10 devices to attach to their shared plan, one of which must be a smartphone. Each plan includes tethering and unlimited domestic calls and texts for smartphones and basic or quick messaging phones. The larger the data bucket you choose, the less you pay per gigabyte and the less you pay for each smartphone added to the shared plan.
    One of the upsides to AT&T’s plans is the decreasing monthly smartphone device access cost as customers step up to higher data plans. Verizon currently charges a flat $40 per month per smartphone while AT&T starts at $45 for customers using 1GB of data but decreases to as low as $30 for accounts with 10GB of data or more per month. The access cost for other devices as the same between AT&T and Verizon with feature phones require a flat fee of $30 per month, laptop connections costing $20, and tablets costing $10.

At the simplest level, AT&T undercuts Verizon with a single smartphone on a 1GB data plan costing $85 per month ($40 data + $45 device), compared to Verizon’s $90 ($50 data + $40 device). Adding additional smartphones to the 1GB data plan is more expensive on AT&T though ($45 versus $40). At the 4GB level, both AT&T and Verizon pricing is identical but after this point, AT&T takes the lead on the higher-level plans with more data and devices. A quick example here would be an account which takes five smartphones sharing 10GB of data. On AT&T this would cost $120 + 5 x $30 per device, totaling to $270 compared to Verizon’s $100 data + 5 x $40 per device, totaling to $300.

The plans launch in “late August” and current customers won’t be required to switch to shared data, although they will have the option to do so without extending the length of their contracts. New customers will be given the option of choosing from the new shared data plans or the carrier’s existing individual or family plans.

Despite the plans being appealing, some users are still not content with AT&T’s ploy of squeezing money out of its customers. The mixed feelings come from what was recently revealed in iOS 6 beta 3 where it seems that 3G FaceTime fees might come to fruition for AT&T users.

Source: AT&T
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 07-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sucks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think its time to go back to old school nokia... this smart phone deals are just getting more and more expensive.
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

This is worse than what I'm paying now. It's ridiculous.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

To all ModMyi members: Don't fall into their trap! They are crooks!
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T really seems to be killing data I'm unsure why they have a stick up their butts with data.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,598 Times in 5,890 Posts

Wow.......
    I believe that by the end of the year when T-Mobile launches their 1900 MHz 4G HSPA spectrum band around the country, there will be lines around the store full of dissatisfied/over charged AT&T customers switching.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-18-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This scheme is more monetarily beneficial for Verizon and AT&T, but AT&T will not penalize those grandfathered into unlimited data. This is unfortunate since I find VZW coverage to be superior when traveling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Was thinking just the other day about shared data on ATT and how I may be interested but no way at all now. I will stick with how I am setup now.

1 gig for 45$ a month. Nope sorry.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
    This scheme is more monetarily beneficial for Verizon and AT&T, but AT&T will not penalize those grandfathered into unlimited data. This is unfortunate since I find VZW coverage to be superior when traveling.
    What are you talking about Verizon doesn't penalize those grandfathered in. At least those grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan can get a separate tethering feature without affecting your unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Was thinking just the other day about shared data on ATT and how I may be interested but no way at all now. I will stick with how I am setup now.

1 gig for 45$ a month. Nope sorry.
    It's an ok plan if you have many phones. For example 1gb cost 50 on Verizon but 8 cost 90. Think of the 30 buck 2 gig plans on individual lines. If that were 4 phones it would be 8, and data alone would be 120 bucks. So you save if you have many lines.
    Last edited by Agent929; 07-18-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

a t & t is so big that it apparently doesn't even care that sprint offers unlimited data. i wonder what the attraction is for customers still signed with a t & t. probably has something to do with coverage. i don't get it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    The fact that they will offer the old plans to new customers is something I like. I sell cell phones for a living and it hurts business on Verizon's end because they no longer offer the old plans anymore. But since AT&T is willing to keep existing nationwide family and individual plans for existing and new customers it shows a better sense of business know how. As far as the people who are complaining about data costs just remember that it is shareable across each device and overall will save money for those who are on bigger family plans that can get more data for less. In time prices will go down I'm sure.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Unlimited data ftw.

Green Apple
    Thanks

glad im still have my grandfathered plan.. i have two phones on the unlimited date for 30 bucks each. i pay 150 a month for 2 iphones to have unlimited data along with 600 anytime mins.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Unlimited data ftw.
    Ditto compadre

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts

IMHO, this much nicer than Verizon.
    I have a family plan: $1400min of talk never use it but we go over 700min.

1 iphone 4S unlimited data = $80 + $30 unlimited + $30 unlimited family txt= $140
    1 iphone 4 250mg data = $10 + $15=$25
    1 blackberry 250mg data= $10 +$15= $25
    Total= $190

I Have 2 ipads= iPad 1 ($15for 250mg) and iPad3 ($30 for 3gb)=$45

That's currently $190 + $45= $235/mo w/o taxes

If I get 10GB--- 3 smartphones + 2 ipads= $180 +$20=$200. I dont think I have ever used 10gb on my iphone and ipad.

Better for my family. I am not a heavy data user as I have wifi at home.

Thanks

AT&T is pissing me off. I have unlimited and they throttle me like a mother. I've got the message once cause I went over 3gb in a month. I was ok I understood. Next bill cycle started June 24 and I've only used 1gb this month but they are throttling me AGAIN I know this because I have usually have 3 to 4 bars at home and it's usually around 5mb down, I have the 4S. And now it's around .40 mb down. That's BS!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Dataraping is simply offensive. It's an AT&T standard that I won't put up with anymore. I switched from at&t iPad 1 on unlimited to 5gb Verizon iPad 3. The thinking is that it doesn't matter how much data you can have if it takes forever to receive. Not only were unlimited 3G lines capped, they were severely throttled. Couldn't get anything to load. And I'm in Houston - a major AT&T hub!!
    Next iPhone I will definitely switch to Verizon. So happy with speed and ntwk quality. Sprint, however, I've had the same experience As with AT&T. Doesn't matter how much data you get if it doesn't get here today.
    Just my opinion!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why can't AT&T just stop trying to rip off its customers? Have a unlimited everything like Sprint, Virgin...etc. WHy? Man I am glad I switched every time I see crap like this from those clowns.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Dataraping is simply offensive. It's an AT&T standard that I won't put up with anymore. I switched from at&t iPad 1 on unlimited to 5gb Verizon iPad 3. The thinking is that it doesn't matter how much data you can have if it takes forever to receive. Not only were unlimited 3G lines capped, they were severely throttled. Couldn't get anything to load. And I'm in Houston - a major AT&T hub!!
    Next iPhone I will definitely switch to Verizon. So happy with speed and ntwk quality. Sprint, however, I've had the same experience As with AT&T. Doesn't matter how much data you get if it doesn't get here today.
    Just my opinion!!
    But Verizon is more expensive, no?