+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Browse the Internet From Your Lock Screen With 'LockWeb'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The one thing about all iOS devices that we love the most is the built in Wi-Fi capability that makes these little devices like pocket computers. However if you find
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Browse the Internet From Your Lock Screen With 'LockWeb'

The one thing about all iOS devices that we love the most is the built in Wi-Fi capability that makes these little devices like pocket computers. However if you find the act of unlocking the device and opening the Safari application to browse the Internet a pain, a new jailbreak tweak dubbed LockWeb by iOS developer Smartviper E75 will let you browse the Internet right from your lock screen without the need to even unlock your iOS device.

As shown above, the tweak handles like Mobile Safari. It has a limited lock screen view and a full-screen view, which is toggled by tapping on the button with the arrows on it. The button next to the clock on the lock screen is what will bring up all of your Web browser options that are shown in the screenshot below:

The first bar is a URL bar and you can type full URLs in this bar and tap on the Go button to launch a Web site from the lock screen. The bar below the URL bar is the Google search bar and is similar to the one found in Mobile Safari – tapping on the magnifying glass button will launch a Google search for whatever you queried right on the lock screen. The tweak also includes all your basic Web browser function buttons such as forward and back, refresh, and quit loading. The share button allows you to copy the link of the Web site, download the file on the Web site, or open the page in Mobile Safari.

You will also find a preferences pane in the Settings application where you can enable and disable LockWeb on demand:

LockWeb will not allow people to search the Web from your device when you have a passcode set, which is good for those that care about their security. However, LockWeb keeps your screen from falling asleep on the lock screen if you leave it on, which can drain your battery if you forget to turn it off or the lock screen is accidentally lit up in your pocket.

If searching the Web from your lock screen has always been something you’ve wanted to do, LockWeb will certainly do this for you. It works with the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad as long as they're running iOS 5.

Name: LockWeb
    Price: $2
    Version: 1.0-180
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Smartviper E75
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Smartviper E75
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-18-2012 at 01:02 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks kind of cool, but not sure for two dollars.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

The one thing about all iOS devices that we love the most is the built in Wi-Fi capability that makes these little devices like pocket computers. However if you find the act of unlocking the device and opening the Safari application to browse the Internet a pain, a new jailbreak tweak dubbed LockWeb by iOS developer Smartviper E75 will let you browse the Internet right from your lock screen without the need to even unlock your iOS device.
    It sure is a pain. How can Apple sleep at night knowing they are making me drag my finger across the screen just to unlock it so I can use it. What were they thinking!? All that finger dragging is just wearing me out I tell ya. It's about time someone made a tweak to abolish the horrific act of unlocking my iPhone. Thank you so much! Ahhhh... life is good now!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    It sure is a pain. How can Apple sleep at night knowing they are making me drag my finger across the screen just to unlock it so I can use it. What were they thinking!? All that finger dragging is just wearing me out I tell ya. It's about time someone made a tweak to abolish the horrific act of unlocking my iPhone. Thank you so much! Ahhhh... life is good now!
    Lol.

Thanks

Uhhh…why even bother with a lock screen since there are mods to do every iOS function from the lock. Just stop using a PIN or password and no need for these mods.

The one lock screen related mod I use is CleverPin. Bypasses the PIN or password if connected to a recognized wifi, else lock screen functions normally. Great convenience and very little increased security risk (I use a PIN myself).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can someone explain to me why this tweak would be useful? slide to unlock, press safari, save 2 dollars? i dont know how to write codes and i know its very hard but comon...what was the developer thinking...
    Last edited by goodgod2; 07-18-2012 at 06:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Just why? Is it to hard to move your finger for one/two inches vertically, and click Safari?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    Just why? Is it to hard to move your finger for one/two inches vertically, and click Safari?
    Yeah, pretty hard to click Safari. iOS never supported a computer mouse.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Uhhh…why even bother with a lock screen since there are mods to do every iOS function from the lock. Just stop using a PIN or password and no need for these mods.

The one lock screen related mod I use is CleverPin. Bypasses the PIN or password if connected to a recognized wifi, else lock screen functions normally. Great convenience and very little increased security risk (I use a PIN myself).
    Because people don't want to disable their passcode just so they have faster access to their apps (in this case, safari). Although I'm not a surfing junkie, I can see a use for some people. You mention CleverPin however if it's someone like me the only time I'm around "recognized wifi" is either at home (sleeping/showering) or at the office (in which case I have a computer to surf with). The only time I'm browsing on my phone is when I'm out. This tweak is obviously for busy people, not people sitting at home on the couch. Just need to think outside the box.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not for me. I like my lock screen plain and simple OE.
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    Because we are lazy and like to get things done the right way.
    Jailbreak for ALL!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    EXACTLY!!! Why lock your iphone or ipad?! Because you might lose it or have it stolen.....