Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Study Shows How Much The iPhone is Truly Worth to Average Customer

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Study Shows How Much The iPhone is Truly Worth to Average Customer

We all know what we paid for our current or previous generation iPhone. But the dollar amount we coughed up for the Apple smartphone is different from what the device is actually "worth" to us. At least that's the suggestion made by a new study that seeks to expose just how valuable the iPhone is to the average device owner.

According to a new survey conducted by - you guessed it - Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, the average iPhone user says his or her device has a value of $313. If you're curious as to what mobile users said their Android device was worth, the answer is... a lot less. The typical mobile user says an Android device is worth just $220 in comparison.

To reach these findings, Munster surveyed hundreds of iOS/Android customers around the world (but chiefly in the U.S. and in Asia). Based on details provided about the survey and how it was conducted, respondents were asked to assign a dollar value to their iPhone or Android device.

As we've said, the average value assigned to the iPhone was $313. So why is this important? If the subsidy burden on carriers results in higher prices for the next generation iPhone, it's unlikely that a minimal price hike would deter iPhone sales in any meaningful manner.

Source: eStocksDaily

no matter what the price will be we myself included will stand in line for hours to purchase.

the value i consider of my iPhone is one soul

I'm personally dropping the iPhone. After 5 years of using the device (2G, 3GS, 4, 4S) and trying out Android for a couple of months with the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, I'm going to sell my 4S and hop over to Windows Phone. I'm tired of Apple and AT&T and I do not like the fragmentation of Android. After installing Windows 8 on my desktop and being impressed with the their new Surface, Microsoft has again won me over as a customer. Also, the rumor of AT&T starting to charge for facetime over 3G was the last straw. I understand that it's nothing but a rumor, but enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    no matter what the price will be we myself included will stand in line for hours to purchase.
    ...the last iPhone had a pre-order I'm not standing in line anymore!

Anyway I do value my iPhone quite high like if I believed in a soul!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

let me add:

and turn around to sell to the next sucker that would pay more for it.

I would be lost without my iPhone. Went to the dark side 3 months ago and got an android S2, was soooo frustrating and having to force kill the apps every 10 minutes wasn't fun at all, got back to my preferred OS and love it. Not sure how windows would compare.

PS Can't wait for iOS6

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djrbx View Post
    I'm personally dropping the iPhone. After 5 years of using the device (2G, 3GS, 4, 4S) and trying out Android for a couple of months with the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, I'm going to sell my 4S and hop over to Windows Phone. I'm tired of Apple and AT&T and I do not like the fragmentation of Android. After installing Windows 8 on my desktop and being impressed with the their new Surface, Microsoft has again won me over as a customer. Also, the rumor of AT&T starting to charge for facetime over 3G was the last straw. I understand that it's nothing but a rumor, but enough is enough.
    I really don't think you understand that it is a rumor...You say you do, but if a rumor is the "last straw" for you, you either don't know what rumor means, or there is just something wrong with you...Im guessing the latter.
    El Zurdo

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    the value i consider of my iPhone is one soul
    Epic
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

how much can I get for your iPhone if I steal it and sell it on ebay?

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm personally dropping the iPhone.I'm tired of Apple and AT&T
    I hear you, but windows 8 phone is a complete unknown. Why not jump to Verizon and eliminate half the pain?

Hello,

You reflected exactly what is in my mind and what my plan is. Same with me.

Suresh.

iPhone is only worth for me if it's jailbreakable nuff said

I hope Windows Phone 8 proves to be more of a success than WP7 - but I doubt it.

But it is refreshing to see someone say they actually like Metro on a computer! It might be OK on a phone but it is truly awful on a computer should be OK on Surface - but even there, they seem to be designed as Ultrabook replacements rather than tablets (Widescreens just don't work on tablets which are, more often than not, used in portrait mode.), I'm not sure it will work. I have a distinct feeling people will be disappointed when they can actually get their hands on the Surface - I hope that doesn't reflect to badly on Windows Phone 8 which does show promise. Time will tell.

Impressed that people have made up their minds already though!
    Last edited by confucious; 07-18-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Correction -WP8 Not WP7!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d_animality View Post
    iPhone is only worth for me if it's jailbreakable nuff said
    That's whats up right there! iPhone without a Jailbreak = FAIL!

But then again the majority of iFail users are too simple to understand what a Jailbreak is all about. Most people buy an iFail just to be trendy followers, not because of it's true potential

Find it funny you say the surface impressed you. I'm still waiting for it to impress me. There is no gsm atm, no one has really used it, haven't seen it run windows(the pro), don't know about battery life or retina display, don't even know if it rotates to portrait, don't know what apps and how the app store will work.

I think people are getting impressed over little things such as a non functioning keyboard(which is why no was allowed to use it), and the win8 interface. I like them too but I'm not gonna say anything yet till we see some progress. Because what they showed is what we've all seen so far and own. I want this tablet to do well for competition and microsofts sake. But steve ballmer needs to quit his job because he's a terrible CEO and a moron.

Does anyone else see a flaw in this study?

If one item cost more than another item (regardless of actual value...e.g., luxury pricing) wouldn't anyone that payed more for said item feel like it was worth more than someone that payed less for another item? Regardless of actual value added? This was a study in market flux and value as opposed to a study in the value of a products uses to the consumer.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and will likely get the next generation...I personally see greater value in an iPhone over an Android but for reasons other than what I feel my iPhone is "monetarily" worth, what it could be sold for, etc.
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 07-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by itslivo View Post
    Epic
    i would give up my kidney for my i phone.

i can always sell my i phone 4s on ebay and make enough to purchase a new phone and have a little pocket change too.

i would give up my kidney for my i phone.

i can always sell my i phone 4s on ebay and make enough to purchase a new phone and have a little pocket change too.
    I could do with a spare kidney - you never know when you might need one.

Send me yours and I'll send you an iPhone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

raduga (07-19-2012)

If you're hocking yourself to the organlenders, why not go for broke?