+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T May Restrict or Charge for FaceTime Over Cellular in iOS 6

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default AT&T May Restrict or Charge for FaceTime Over Cellular in iOS 6

As previously reported, Apple released iOS 6 beta 3 to developers yesterday, an update that brought mainly additional stability to the operating system. It was discovered though that a new feature was added as well, one that many customers might not be too happy about. It appears AT&T will begin restricting and possibly charging for the new FaceTime-over-3G –network feature in iOS 6. Prior to iOS 6, FaceTime was a Wi-Fi only service but the jailbreak community has helped fix that issue with tweaks available on Cydia.

The error message is one similar to the one given to AT&T customers who try to enable data tethering in iOS. Furthermore, to enable this feature, AT&T users are required to pay for a separate tethering data plan. When trying to activate FaceTime over cellular networks, the following error message appears:

When iOS 6 was first announced, many carriers were quite about the possibility of allowing FaceTime over cellular networks. When asked about the situation, AT&T issued the following statement:

We're working closely with Apple on the new developer build of iOS 6 and we'll share more information with our customers as it becomes available.
    One thing that should be noted is that this message only comes up for AT&T customers. Verizon customers don’t have to worry about the issue, at least not yet, as this message doesn’t appear for them.

Source: MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ok, Akshay Masand, now your next assignment is to go out and learn if verizon will aslo have these charges and restrictions. report back to us when you find out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    ok, Akshay Masand, now your next assignment is to go out and learn if verizon will aslo have these charges and restrictions. report back to us when you find out.
    what do you think he is? your personal servant?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am starting to fuffin hate AT&T.
    Being a throttled unlimited data user and now this too? I don't use FaceTime, but these restrictions are getting annoying.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    Being a throttled unlimited data user and now this too? I don't use FaceTime, but these restrictions are getting annoying.
    Yeah, I hope T-Mobile gets the iPhone 5 because I'm tired of AT&T's BS. I'd consider Sprint but they don't have 4G coverage in my area and their 3G is really slow.. same with Verizon.

Thanks

M@t%RF$*+&?R

I'm your Huckleberry!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    Your next assignment is to read the whole article.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

We have this because we have to pay for our data plan + tethering + FaceTime. I had no idea that I needed to pay for data 3x! Brilliant! Depending on how things go in another year (iPhone 6 release) I may be switching to another carrier. I really hope Apple becomes a carrier by that time... I would totally switch.

Thanks

oh geez, i believe facetime and tethering should be free to use on a capped data plan. 2gb is 2 gb, no matter how they are used

Thanks

AT&T is the mortal enemy of anyone who believes in net neutrality

Thanks
    There just trying to cover their ***... They see the future coming where smart phones use simple data only plans and they no longer make huge profits off of minute and text plans. They will see the error in their ways when they loose many of their long time customers to other carriers that lead the way instead of grasping at straws trying to find petty options to charge it's customers... Google voice, talktone, and my Verizon ipad are all I need.

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Only until a company as strong a att comes along will we have to endure this crap, right tmobile is one of the few that can compete but with no legal iphone coverage in sight we will have to just wait for something to happen. even with Verizon and Sprint covering the iphone is still no enough, verizon has the same data caps as att, and sprint have unlimited but barely above 3g, and for the ones like me that live in and island it's even worst, here in Puerto Rico we only have att and ClaroPR, att here has some if not THE highest rates in the world and Claro has almost no coverage. Were almost in the same boat as Australia, but the stupid FCC won't dare to even touch att here.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You really don't realize how biased modmyi is. If at&t is charging for it Verizon and sprint will follow suit.

Banned
    Thanks

Either way im leaving at&t after this contract is up those bastards took my unlimited data away for not tethering and realized then gave it back to me and took it away for good a few months later

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just jailbreak, Facetime works great over 3G that way or use Skype instead and bypass all of these silly restrictions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    You really don't realize how biased modmyi is. If at&t is charging for it Verizon and sprint will follow suit.
    Whoa whoa whoa buddy, this article reported nothing but the facts. This alert shows on AT&T devices, not Verizon or Sprint. This was made clear.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Well I'm running beta 3 and have AT&T 4s and my face time over cell is on and I don't have that warning label.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup, I feel the same way. I've already decided that as soon as the next iPhone comes out, I'm switching to Sprint.

Thanks

It's just data, AT&T is stupid to care how you use it after you've paid for it. All the more reason to switch to Verizon, which already has shared data plans. I've already been charged for FaceTime this month in the form of $10 x2 lines that went over their 2gb

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Yup, I feel the same way. I've already decided that as soon as the next iPhone comes out, I'm switching to Sprint.
    I predict an AT&T exodus come October if that's when a new iPhone is released

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    what do you think he is? your personal servant?
    Hahaha

Lol wow looks like Verizon is the way to go!
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.