Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T May Restrict or Charge for FaceTime Over Cellular in iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    If you guys think that you can just keep using 3g Unrestrictor or My3g to keep using this to bypass AT&T, just remember, we tried that with tethering and that didn't work out so well for a lot of users.
    Actually tethering works just fine, you just have to know how to set your APN values correctly and it's not a problem. With Facetime, though, even if it does get sent through a separate APN just like with tethering, the tweaks that fool it into thinking it's working over wifi will likely still work, as it will just operate the same way it does over a wifi connection and just go through the normal APN.

AT&T--The douchebag of carriers

I actually see this is an unfair charge of one's data, but knowing the carrier's CEO, he doesn't want any pennies slipping through his fingers.

Seems like there is a lot of room in the telecom business for some competition. Just one company that makes a FAIRLY priced product could dominate, even if only at a local scale. This doesn't happen, because telecom services are priced as utilities, but are not regulated as such by governments. The revolution is coming: we demand freedom of communication and freedom of information access! These are human rights, and currently they are subject to the whims of giant multinational corporations like AT&T. Overthrow the opressors, melt their glass fortresses and drive them from our lands!
    الله أكبر، الموت لجميع الذين يضطهدون لنا

(i'm probably on a few FBI watchlists now... i was just venting you guys )
    Last edited by the87th; 07-17-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Seriously guys.

StraightTalk. $50 a month, bring your locked AT&T phone. They'll handle everything. Been with them 2-3 months after kicking AT&T to the curb.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I have never used it and probably won't ever. But reading this frustrates me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

How much data does FaceTime actually use per minute or so?
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Yea they tried to charge for tether but PdaNet got around that. I think a same type of jailbreak application would get around the FaceTime thing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent929 View Post
    How much data does FaceTime actually use per minute or so?
    Not much. Did a 10 minute facetime call over 3G with my wife just a little while ago and it only used about 11mb.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Not much. Did a 10 minute facetime call over 3G with my wife just a little while ago and it only used about 11mb.
    Wo that's not bad. Wtf is AT&Ts problem then?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    oh geez, i believe facetime and tethering should be free to use on a capped data plan. 2gb is 2 gb, no matter how they are used
    You mean like Verizon's new family share plans? You now buy a bucket of data and share amongst all devices and you get free hotspot thrown in to boot. They are betting on data overages hitting folks I am sure.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    You mean like Verizon's new family share plans? You now buy a bucket of data and share amongst all devices and you get free hotspot thrown in to boot. They are betting on data overages hitting folks I am sure.
    In my opinion Verizon isn't near as greedy as AT&T. You can always backdate your plan with Verizon if you in risk of going over. The data packages really aren't that bad at all if you have a few smartphones.

Thanks

Sprint is offering Facetime for free according to media reports. I am not sure about that, but this is what I heard and I hope that others also start doing so!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123