+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: European Mobile Carriers Stock Up on Nano-SIM Cards Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default European Mobile Carriers Stock Up on Nano-SIM Cards Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

Even though Apple has yet to confirm the next-generation iPhone or anything about it, many European mobile carriers are placing orders for Nano SIMs in anticipation of the iPhone 5 launch, which is rumored to drop in September or October this year. These Nano SIM cards aren’t even on the market yet but Apple’s proposal to use the technology won over Nokia’s proposal with the industry standards group, paving the way for its use in iPhone and other future smartphone devices.

Carriers are said to be stockpiling the cards, the only part of modern smartphone technology that is controlled by carriers. According to The Financial Times, “sources with knowledge of the situation” expect the iPhone 5 to have slimmer design, which makes a smaller SIM card pretty much necessary. The carriers don’t want to run out of stock of Nano SIMs, as they did when the micro-SIM was used in the iPhone 4 and the iPad for the first time.

The decision to stock up on Nano SIMs is still quite a risky one though as it would be quite the pain to find out that Apple will use the current micro-SIM in the upcoming iOS devices. The Cupertino California company is known to play the waiting game, as it slowly gains patents and makes design choices far ahead of actual to-market devices and technologies, along with being relatively secret for as much as possible. Although in theory the Nano-SIM seems like it’s the perfect fit, it might not be what Apple decides to go with as nothing has been announced yet.

Source: The Financial Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

That's one tiny SIM

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

whatever, apple ... how about a longer-lasting battery? how about a battery that can be easily replaced by the user? how about better sound quality through a better speaker system? expandable storage? i'm giving this list to santa claus for delivery to apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    whatever, apple ... how about a longer-lasting battery? how about a battery that can be easily replaced by the user? how about better sound quality through a better speaker system? expandable storage? i'm giving this list to santa claus for delivery to apple.
    You just described an android phone! Apple will never do expandable storage & removable battery.. Hopefully a better speaker & battery though! *fingers crossed*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's not actually that small is it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjustme View Post
    I hope not! That thing would be near impossible to find if you dropped it on the floor.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wow it's not even close to being that small! it's the size of the gold part on micro sim

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That depiction is WAY off scale. They aren't supposed to be much smaller than a micro-SIM.

Mini-SIM: 25mm x 15mm
    Micro-SIM: 15mm x 12mm
    Nano-SIM: 12.3mm x 8.8mm

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjustme View Post
    No its not actually that small. Here is a real comparison below. A little bit of a difference.

European Mobile Carriers Stock Up on Nano-SIM Cards Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch-ctia2012-applesim.jpg

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

One feature about an iPhone being posted here doesn't mean that's all the features on the iPhone.. Jeez you guys really don't realize that maybe apple is going to update there iPhone with more than just a nano sim?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iAdamir's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple users don't need a removable battery, and the iPhone is still one of the smartphone with the longest lasting battery. Sound quality ? I guess you haven't compared the galaxy S3 one to iPhone one. Expendable storage ? Nope, because the iPhone isn't a cheap phone with stupid slots all around the phone, and because the three different storage you can choose are enough. Go back on your android websites dude.
    [CENTER]

Thanks

battery: apple will claim longer life end user will notice no difference because some new feature will use more battery
    easily replaceable: as it sounds like a nice feature 95% of people with devices with removable batteries (that i no) don't walk around with a spare and never will don't see the point in it (personally)

Speaker: u got a point iPhone a has dinky speaker

Expandable storage: from apple? thats funny

Thanks

I'm sure that's not to scale. I've read a few other articles on the nano sim and it's said to be ~30-40% smaller than the micro sim. Not sure if they've come up with a final design yet but I picture it to be just the chip with even more plastic shaved off, basically like what they did to get the micro sim.

Thanks

Thats what a nano sim looks like.. not sure why they would use such a bad picture for this story

Thanks

Wow that's one small SIM.

Thanks

Apple doesn't give that kind of control over their products and they probably never will. One of the most profitable companies on the planet knows what they are doing. One disgruntled customer compared to millions of happy users, is not even worth mentioning. Maybe you should stick with your Android phone@Hank and stop ranting about have nots. Moving forward..the sim is incredibly small yikes. I can imagine dropping this thing and never finding it again haha! I mean i hope they don't have a slide out try..just have an insert like a microSD card that would work for me, as i've never lost one of those. Also i find it unlikely they do this as they've only been using micro sims for 2 generations of the iPhone..not enough time in my opinion but we shall see soon.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

http://www.gi-de.com/gd_media/media/...1/Nano-SIM.pdf

Have a look here for specs and size comparison

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    That depiction is WAY off scale. They aren't supposed to be much smaller than a micro-SIM.

Mini-SIM: 25mm x 15mm
    Micro-SIM: 15mm x 12mm
    Nano-SIM: 12.3mm x 8.8mm
    Woah, so worth it

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i own an iphone - not an android. however, there are a few features i wish apple would incorporate into its system. i've been looking closely at the s3, and i am sooo tempted. maybe the realease of the new iphone will take care of that. in the meantime, we all can dream. can't we? (fyi: the avatar is only a metaphor)

p.s. i like my iphone, but i'm not married to it. if the new iphone does not surpass the s3, i will not hesitate to drop this thing like a fat lover.
    Last edited by hank197857; 07-18-2012 at 09:39 AM.