+ Reply
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Attempting to Block In-App Purchasing Hack

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,342
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 46 Posts

    Default Apple Attempting to Block In-App Purchasing Flaw


    Last week a Russian hacker managed to circumvent Apple’s in-app purchase process, potentially costing developers loads of money. Apple doesn’t have a fix, but is actively attempting to shut down the hacker’s operation.

    The hack allows users to download in-app purchases free of charge, but as a result the users personal information passes through the hacker’s servers allowing them free access to potentially damaging information. Apple has started the repair and damage control process by blocking the IP address of the server used by the Russian hacker and issuing a copyright claim to have the original video removed from YouTube.

    Over the weekend, Apple began blocking the IP address of the server used by Russian hacker Alexey V. Borodin to authenticate purchases.

    It followed this up with a takedown request on the original server, taking down third-party authentication with it, also issuing a copyright claim on the overview video Borodin used to document the circumvention method. PayPal also got involved, placing a block on the original donation account for violating its terms of service. — The Next Web
    Apple hasn’t released any information or details on when or how a permanent fix will be issued. Until then Borodin, the Russian Hacker, plans to actively support his “service” and attempt to overcome any roadblocks Apple institutes. The quicker the fix, the better devs everywhere will feel.

    Source: The Next Web

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts

    im a dev and i really don't care. that russia hacker did the impossible i give him props of finding a exploit. isnt that what hacking is all about? it's shows that even all the bells and whistles apple is not perfect like they think they are.
    Last edited by lilrican21; 07-16-2012 at 11:18 AM.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts

    OFFTOPIC- Developers... IOS6 BETA 3 IS OUT

  4. #4
    Green Apple GeoffS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    im a dev and i really don't care. that russia hacker did the impossible i give him props of finding a exploit. isnt that what hacking is all about? it's shows that even all the bells and whistles apple is not perfect like they think they are.
    Why do people create false statements (for others to act on)? For example the above comment, "...is not perfect like they think they are.".

  5. #5
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    im a dev and i really don't care. that russia hacker did the impossible i give him props of finding a exploit. isnt that what hacking is all about? it's shows that even all the bells and whistles apple is not perfect like they think they are.
    Just goes to show. Anything and anyone can be hacked. Just takes the right person with enough want to. Maybe it will humble apple a little to keep them on there toes.

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, ny
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm a dev and I don't care about anyone else but me. I don't care about anyone or anything, but me.
    Nothing in life is easy.

  7. #7
    *T*
    *T* is offline
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    im a dev and i really don't care. that russia hacker did the impossible i give him props of finding a exploit. isnt that what hacking is all about? it's shows that even all the bells and whistles apple is not perfect like they think they are.
    Apple is not a human, but an entity. You are a human. Therefore, when you say "like they think they are," you are stereotyping all Apple employees.

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What kind of personal initiation do they get from you by using this hack?? Information from your iPod or from your iTunes account???? Will I be traced through my Internet connection and be charged or something? I want to use this hack? Do I make a fake iTunes account? :/

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Apple is not a human, but an entity. You are a human. Therefore, when you say "like they think they are," you are stereotyping all Apple employees.
    As a company shouldn't the employees of Apple strive to the same goals? If not I would think it would be total anarchy with a paycheck. Stereotyping here does work at least in my opinion.

  10. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    im a dev and i really don't care. that russia hacker did the impossible i give him props of finding a exploit. isnt that what hacking is all about? it's shows that even all the bells and whistles apple is not perfect like they think they are.
    Let's see, you are either a liar or a very ameture and inept developer. I'm thinking the truth is somewhere between the two. You are sounding more like a Google or Samsung fanboy trying to gain credibility in your Apple bashing by claiming to be a an iOS developer... Either that or you really are a dev, and because you have no real clue about development other than using glue code, your apps suck and you make no money, so you are bitter. The way I see it, most people on here that claim to be devs are liars. Reason being? Devs tend to be a bit proud of their creations, like they were their children, so they talk about them at every opportunity, wanting to brag and and advertise their app when ever they can, but the liars on here never mention their apps or accomplishments because they have none. So let's try again and be honest this time. You own an Android phone and simply troll the Apple forums, right?

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 189 Times in 136 Posts

    Sounds like lilrican21 is hating on Apple. He should care as Apple pays him to develop, not like he is doing it for free. Sounds a bit ignorant in my opinion but its just an opinion. The more the OS gets hacked the more vulnurable and none of us really want an unstable OS do we?? I think not!

  12. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    1,383
    Thanked 761 Times in 361 Posts

    I think the main issue to this whole topic comes down to morality. While I'm certainly impressed with this hackers ability to crack in-app purchases, I personally am not willing to deprive any dev of their intellectual property and take something which I have not properly paid for. I don't mean this statement to condemn anyone, but I certainly won't condone piracy either. I have too much respect for myself, as well as the work that a lot of these devs put into creating these apps. I only hope that I'm not in the minority as far as this is concerned.
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Let's see, you are either a liar or a very ameture and inept developer. I'm thinking the truth is somewhere between the two. You are sounding more like a Google or Samsung fanboy trying to gain credibility in your Apple bashing by claiming to be a an iOS developer... Either that or you really are a dev, and because you have no real clue about development other than using glue code, your apps suck and you make no money, so you are bitter. The way I see it, most people on here that claim to be devs are liars. Reason being? Devs tend to be a bit proud of their creations, like they were their children, so they talk about them at every opportunity, wanting to brag and and advertise their app when ever they can, but the liars on here never mention their apps or accomplishments because they have none. So let's try again and be honest this time. You own an Android phone and simply troll the Apple forums, right?
    I'm not commenting on this particular person, but I wouldn't doubt that many devs wouldn't care too much if their apps got pirated. I know plenty of people that make songs, videos, etc, that have said that they really don't care when their stuff gets pirated. It's not like it was going to be bought in the first place. Some of them even think of it as an accomplishment that their stuff was posted on a pirate website. They like that people thought their product was good enough to do that.

  14. #14
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    315
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    i'm still wondering how that downloader of pandora music is allowed to continue. cydia all the way!

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I do not support the hacker and I find this "hack" to be unethical and illegal.
    However, 99% of the people downloading in-app purchases for free likely wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I may be wrong but just clarifying that I am completely against this "hacker" and I hope he gets in trouble for this.
    To everyone else out there, don't use this hack because you never know if Apple is tracing back the UDID's of people using this and also because of moral values. How would you like to have your hard work stolen? Especially when it might be your main source of income.
    Feel free to disagree.

  16. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    There's been other hacks like this for years and can get them from most repos in Cydia right now.
    3gs iPhone 32gb-Jailbroken factory unlocked
    iPhone 4 jailbroken & factory unlocked

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 2 Posts

    Breaking news**
    This exploit is now covered by obamacare.....

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts

    that wont do anything theres still iapfree and iapcracker oh well

  19. #19
    *T*
    *T* is offline
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lucca567 View Post
    I do not support the hacker and I find this "hack" to be unethical and illegal.
    However, 99% of the people downloading in-app purchases for free likely wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I may be wrong but just clarifying that I am completely against this "hacker" and I hope he gets in trouble for this.
    To everyone else out there, don't use this hack because you never know if Apple is tracing back the UDID's of people using this and also because of moral values. How would you like to have your hard work stolen? Especially when it might be your main source of income.
    Feel free to disagree.
    You sir, are brilliant.

  20. #20
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    You sir, are brilliant.
    I do alright.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts