+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have iOS Announce the Time and Date With 'TimeSpeak'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iOS is very good at showing us the date and time. The date is included on the lock screen and also from the home screen on the Calendar application’s icon.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 735 Posts

Default Have iOS Announce the Time and Date With 'TimeSpeak'

iOS is very good at showing us the date and time. The date is included on the lock screen and also from the home screen on the Calendar application’s icon. The time is always shown on the lock screen and from the status bar. However, a new free tweak comes to the table called TimeSpeak by iOS developer Mathieu Bolard and it allows you to have your device tell you what the date and time is using Siri’s voice.

With all the options in iOS for showing you the time and date, you might be wondering what the advantage is to having the device announce the time and date to you. For starters, not everyone has perfect vision and can see that well – TimeSpeak helps these people to hear the time and date by invoking an Activator action to use the tweak. Swiping on the status bar or shaking the device are two great ways to hear the date and time spoken out to you.

In addition to aiding people hard at seeing, TimeSpeak also shares with you the seconds of your current time (the status bar and lock screen do not) and it also tells you the date and time all in one sentence without the need to check several parts of iOS to find out both. You also have the satisfaction of Siri’s voice telling it to you. TimeSpeak comes with a preferences pane in the Settings application after being installed; it is shown below:

From the preferences pane of TimeSpeak, you can customize how the tweak speaks the time. You can set it to say only a few of the items, or all of them – you can also opt to have the time spoken in 24-hour time rather than the 12-hour clock and you can pick your Activator action for how you want to invoke the tweak from these options as well. By default, everything is turned on. The things you can have the tweak say (or not say) include:
    • Day name (Monday-Sunday)
    • Date
    • Month
    • Year
    • Time – hours and minutes included
    • Time – seconds

For a free tweak, it’s pretty cool. The interface is clean and non-obtrusive and it can be useful for people with disabilities. The tweak will install Activator if you don't have it installed already as it is a dependency for the tweak. Be sure to give it a try and let us know what you think about it – you will find it on the BigBoss repository in Cydia today.

Name: TimeSpeak
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5, Activator
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Mathieu Bolard
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Mathieu Bolard
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-12-2012 at 11:46 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

That is a pretty "smart" app. Installed and it works well.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Works good maybe the developer can add one option so the iPhone can tell you every hour or every 30 minutes by itself what time it is. But I dont know, maybe it can have an impact with the battery charge.
    Last edited by javiert30; 07-13-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Maybe Ryan Petrich could add voice activations to Activator. So when the phone hears 'tell me the time' then away this tweak would go.

I don't doubt Ryan's talents for one second, the guys a genius, but perhaps voice activated activator is a step too far?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have SpeakEvents installed in my 4s and that speaks the time every hour / 30 / 15 mins but also has the advantage of reading my textx aloud and announcing incomming calls as well. It does not announce the date or seconds, but for me SpeakEvents is the better option.

Jolly

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Works good maybe the developer can add one option so the iPhone can tell you every hour or every 30 minutes by itself what time it is. But I dont know, maybe it can have an impact with the battery charge.
    I was thinking the same thing yesterday, it could replace my watch. Or can it be possible with a beep every hour? or every so hour ? like a watch. That would make me replace my watch instantly!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRogger View Post
    I have SpeakEvents installed in my 4s and that speaks the time every hour / 30 / 15 mins but also has the advantage of reading my textx aloud and announcing incomming calls as well. It does not announce the date or seconds, but for me SpeakEvents is the better option.

Jolly
    Nice thanks for the tip!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"iOS is very good at showing us the date and time. The date is included on the lock screen and also from the home screen on the Calendar application’s icon. The time is always shown on the lock screen and from the status bar."

If you use a Bluetooth headset, you can't see the time during a call.

See:

Where's the time? (I only blacked-out my name)
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 07-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Jolly
    JollyRogger,
    Thank you for posting this app. It is what I have wanted for quite some time,,, I have notifications set up but at times I forget what sound is for what notification when my days are hectic. What I love the most is the fact that it works with bluetooth, so if I am in a meeting, my phone does not have to be set to vibrate and it will speak all right into my bluetooth,,, this is so work the 1.99 !!

I enjoy reading blogs for the 'additional' info given by others such as yourself (smile). thanks again !! I would click on the 'thank' button but for some reason I have not been able to find it,,,

Gratefully,
    Elizabeth

Jolly
    JollyRogger,
    Thank you for posting this app. It is what I have wanted for quite some time,,, I have notifications set up but at times I forget what sound is for what notification when my days are hectic. What I love the most is the fact that it works with bluetooth, so if I am in a meeting, my phone does not have to be set to vibrate and it will speak all right into my bluetooth,,, this is so work the 1.99 !!

I enjoy reading blogs for the 'additional' info given by others such as yourself (smile). thanks again !! I would click on the 'thank' button but for some reason I have not been able to find it,,,

Gratefully,
    Elizabeth
    Last edited by lizzy954; 07-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Maybe Ryan Petrich could add voice activations to Activator. So when the phone hears 'tell me the time' then away this tweak would go.

I don't doubt Ryan's talents for one second, the guys a genius, but perhaps voice activated activator is a step too far?
    It would run the battery dead quickly if the phone is constantly listening and processing sound.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    It would run the battery dead quickly if the phone is constantly listening and processing sound.
    People thought the same about the widgets that change weather location as you drive but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    any way to get this to speak the time every hour? Or any app\tweak like that out there?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 735 Posts

"iOS is very good at showing us the date and time. The date is included on the lock screen and also from the home screen on the Calendar application’s icon. The time is always shown on the lock screen and from the status bar."

If you use a Bluetooth headset, you can't see the time during a call.

See:

Where's the time? (I only blacked-out my name)
    Nit-picking? – Come on now; not cool. Unlock the device and see the time.

Otherwise, I'm sure you will like this tweak if you're in Bluetooth headset calls all the time.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Finaly, I use a similar like that called "Tell me the time" for a long time already, now I can also listen to what time is it by a simple push on a headset button while on my bicycle listening to music or a podcast, when having my iPhone with me :-)

Thanks

People thought the same about the widgets that change weather location as you drive but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
    Think about it:
    The location API is smart enough to switch between precise (power-hungry) GPS location and imprecise location based on the mobile phone network. When you slow down or stop, it activates the power-hungry GPS only briefly to get a more-accurate location fix. The imprecise location from the mobile phone network has no significant impact on battery life since the baseband is always active (except in airplane mode).

Making it so the microphone and CPU are constantly active will impact battery significantly- No matter what.

Thanks

Think about it:
    The location API is smart enough to switch between precise (power-hungry) GPS location and imprecise location based on the mobile phone network. When you slow down or stop, it activates the power-hungry GPS only briefly to get a more-accurate location fix. The imprecise location from the mobile phone network has no significant impact on battery life since the baseband is always active (except in airplane mode).

Making it so the microphone and CPU are constantly active will impact battery significantly- No matter what.
    Think about it:
    People smart enough to code this stuff will set up correct parameters like - waiting for the phone to move to turn on mic or using the sensor to recognise someone's face is close to then turn on a mic.

All I'm saying is, past evidence would suggest not to make sweeping statements as once implemented people's coding skills are mental and can surprise.

Thanks

Think about it:
    People smart enough to code this stuff will set up correct parameters like - waiting for the phone to move to turn on mic or using the sensor to recognise someone's face is close to then turn on a mic.

All I'm saying is, past evidence would suggest not to make sweeping statements as once implemented people's coding skills are mental and can surprise.
    Someone simply said "voice activated." It would be cool to perform some activator actions while my phone sits on the table or in a dock.

Yeah, of course it can be done. There's a "raise and speak" option with Siri (it keeps the IR proximity LED active to sense your face). Raise-and-speak off by default (presumably because it impacts the battery?).

Unless the microphone and CPU are constantly active, I wouldn't be able to issue voice commands while my phone is sitting on the table in front of me. If they're constantly active, there will be a significant impact in battery life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chokem's Avatar
    Thanks

Just installed it, activate swiping down from the status bar, works great.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Labertasche View Post
    Finaly, I use a similar like that called "Tell me the time" for a long time already, now I can also listen to what time is it by a simple push on a headset button while on my bicycle listening to music or a podcast, when having my iPhone with me :-)
    How do you do that? Are you using a Bluetooth or wired headset? I can't get this to work with my Bluetooth Headset (Jabra). I would love to be able to use this on my bluetooth, since my phone is often deep in my pocket and I rarely wear my watch these days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Labertasche View Post
    That has been built-in to iOS for a long time. Just activate voice control and say: "What time is it?" No jailbreak or tweak needed. Existed before iOS 5.