+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patent Reveals Bland iPhone Case, Hopefully Does Not Result in Lawsuits

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A recent patent application uncovered by AppleInsider depicts and new Apple iPhone case and likely successor to the minimalistic "Bumper." The patent in question depicts a rather uninspiring case that
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Patent Reveals Bland iPhone Case, Hopefully Does Not Result in Lawsuits

A recent patent application uncovered by AppleInsider depicts and new Apple iPhone case and likely successor to the minimalistic "Bumper."

The patent in question depicts a rather uninspiring case that appears to be the average form-fitting affair with a small hole on the bottom cut out for the microphone with a mesh cover to reduce wind noise and improve call quality. The mesh screen would also prevent dirt, moisture and other things that mess up electronics from affecting the mics quality.

The patent itself is rather broad in its description allowing Apple to release numerous variations made out different materials like rubber, silicon, acrylic, plastic, and polycarbonate. Nothing innovative or new is included in the patent, but potentially the most damning aspect is the fact Apple was able to patent a specific case, as well as the features of that case. None of the ideas patented are new, but Apple might be the first to own patents on the features, and could potentially leverage them in court.

Hopefully this patent does not result in Apple suing case makers for including wind-screens and other basic features into their designs. The accessory market is too large, and too vast with too many small, medium, and large players for Apple to invest resources in suing them all. I hope.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-12-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Love the last paragraph! So true.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Another patent apple shouldn't even be allowed to get...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    Another patent apple shouldn't even be allowed to get...
    Agreed!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I have $100 saying crapple tries to sue at least one company for this. However I know they'll probably try to sue everyone.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

I'm sure everyone realizes that not apple but all companies submit hundreds of patents. Not all of them get accepted. An iPhone case that apple would have to patent would be hard in my opinion

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I have $100 saying crapple tries to sue at least one company for this. However I know they'll probably try to sue everyone.
    crapple? Seriously? If you dislike apple so much why are you on an Apple device website? Even if you do have a valid reason, it is immediately invalid because your name is PokemonDesigner.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    crapple? Seriously? If you dislike apple so much why are you on an Apple device website? Even if you do have a valid reason, it is immediately invalid because your name is PokemonDesigner.

+1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this would be a dream come true if they made this for the iPad 3, I have been searching for a case like this on my iPad since I first got it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I logged in just to post "LOL."

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol

Thanks

Next time apple will file a patent for making smart phones so they can sue any company that makes smartphones. Sueing rival companies is what apple do best this days.

Thanks

Silly..anyway moving forward. So Apple is taking the design already in place and putting patents on it? Smart business decision..not sure about ethics

Green Apple
    Thanks

have you guys though of that maybe apple its gonna build a simple case, in the future and wants to cover its rear end so they dont get sue over it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I'm sure everyone realizes that not apple but all companies submit hundreds of patents. Not all of them get accepted. An iPhone case that apple would have to patent would be hard in my opinion
    Agreed. And they only hear about apples cause 1. This is an APPLE FORUM
    2. The media hates on apple cause it will get tons of views cause there are apple haters and apple lovers

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Silly..anyway moving forward. So Apple is taking the design already in place and putting patents on it? Smart business decision..not sure about ethics
    ..I'm not sure you guys realize that this patent was probably submitted before these were the "current" case designs

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know apple is going to sue anyone with a design even closely related to this

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys, the patent is about placing a mesh on just the right spot so that it protects the microphone and prevents noise during calls. They are the first to be able to do this an no other company has ever tried to cover the microphone with a mesh.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And they want the patent so they can charge 49.99 for what another company would charge $15 for.