+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible iPhone 5 Engineering Sample Photos Leaked in China

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to GottaBeMobile , they have gotten their hands on what they are calling “iPhone 5 engineering samples.” The photos they provided claim to be proof of a physical construction
    Thanks

Default Possible iPhone 5 Engineering Sample Photos Leaked in China

According to GottaBeMobile, they have gotten their hands on what they are calling “iPhone 5 engineering samples.” The photos they provided claim to be proof of a physical construction of the rumored next-generation iPhone design. The report claims the metal casing is slightly taller than that of the iPhone 4/4S, a little thinner, and the same width. This goes hand to hand with the speculation that the next generation iPhone will be redesigned.

Chances are that the metal mockup is simply just a case maker’s mold but it is possible that these are actual engineering samples manufactured in Apple’s supply chain. This case design seems similar to those reported towards the end of May, which gives both rumors some credibility.

If Apple does go with this design or one similar to it, the next-generation iPhone will be still be dwarfed by Android offerings such as the Galaxy S III and other flagship Android devices. Size isn’t what people usually seek when they go for iOS products though, as its more so the quality, the finish, and the elegance coupled with the iOS software and growing App Store.

Source: GottaBeMobile

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Ann8134 (07-11-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

If the width does not change, I can see the height being a good thing. It will look weird at first, but when reading web pages or text it will be really nice, even in landscape mode. Thinner will be interesting, as the i4 is snug in my palm with a thin case, and maybe too thin with no case.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Should've kept the screen size from all their other phones. It'll ruin the AppStore as well as iOS layout. It will ruin apple just like the different screen sizes ruined android.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Should've kept the screen size from all their other phones. It'll ruin the AppStore as well as iOS layout. It will ruin apple just like the different screen sizes ruined android.
    Now that's why Steve jobs never wanted to increase the size of an iPhone, I kinda wish he was still
    around RIP SJ, he was the only person who knew how to make an iPhone awesome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I've seen no evidence of increased screen size ruining android. Do you have a link or anything?

Also, if the app developers could adjust/update their apps for retina display what's preventing them from updating them for an increased screen size? If nothing else, the old apps will just run on the same size leaving some black space on the screen. Just like running an iPhone app on an iPad...except it won't be nearly as annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 1,562 Posts

It didn't ruin android, but it sure as hell made it more difficult to develop for. First thing that comes to mind, is theming, it'll add another platform to theme for, and would require different size images. Not a huge deal, but I think it will affect what we see on our devices a little. Also, the latency bug for real time audio encoding in android, has slightly more negatives than the different screen sizes. And yes, I can give you a link :P

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    Now that's why Steve jobs never wanted to increase the size of an iPhone, I kinda wish he was still
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I've seen no evidence of increased screen size ruining android. Do you have a link or anything?

Also, if the app developers could adjust/update their apps for retina display what's preventing them from updating them for an increased screen size? If nothing else, the old apps will just run on the same size leaving some black space on the screen. Just like running an iPhone app on an iPad...except it won't be nearly as annoying.
    And I used to have a droid x by Motorola and couldn't use about 50% of the apps because of the fact of screen size differences. Plus with the retina, it's the same dimensions just scaled to x2 where as this new larger screen has completely different dimensions causing compatibility issues in the apps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I definitely agree with those that realize all the different android sizes made it difficult for success for androids software. Sure they have success but they just sell a lot of different phones which is a different approach then apple where apple thinks quality android thinks quantity.

Also phone sizes matter. You can go to any electronics store and get an iPhone case however with all the different android sizes and phones you can't expect to get a case for your phone at every electronics store

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer the same size that Apple made on the iPhone 4 and 4S so that my iPhone 4 & 4S cases would fit . I have more than 50 cases so ...

Thanks

I agree with the above. Too thin and it won't feel right as I don't like my phone in my hand without a case..feels like it will slip out and fall. As for competing with Android size..i don't think that is a game breaker. iPhone has had a 3.5" screen since it was launched and has outsold Android to date. I personally like the 3.5" screen and know its going to get some getting used to for myself, once the new phone drops. Very excited!

Thanks
    I'm too excited!! can't wait !

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyGearIsaac View Post
    the iPhone 5 was Steve jobs last design he was apart of. In Steve jobs book this was his baby he was very excited about this model iPhone,

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

This doesn't look that bad. I'd like to see it this way actually...
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post

Some developers havenít even upgraded to retina display for the iPhone 4/4s yet. What makes you think that everyone will upgrade their apps? Itís kinda like when apple came out with the iPad not everyone that made an iPhone app made their apps compatible with the iPad. Most iPhone apps on the iPad look sh***y. So depending on the developers isnít the best thing in the world to do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

next iphone better not look like this because this looks like a 4/4s with a bigger screen and a color scheme. I had skipped the iphone 4s and kept my iphone 4 because it looked the same. So far i noticed that apple redesigns the iphone every 2 years like the iphone 3g to iphone 4 with the exception of the original iphone to iphone 3g. I am hoping for a really good redesign. I prefer the ipad 2 curves and style be appiled to the next iphone with an aluminum back and bigger screen. I rather have both the internals and outside design upgraded. I prefer the best of both worlds rather than just having a phone that looks the same and has upgraded internals with a betta camera.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm kind of against making the screen taller but not wider. It'll change the way everything works currently. Poor developers. They're gonna have a hard time making everything compatible with the new aspect ratio.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itslivo View Post
    I'm kind of against making the screen taller but not wider. It'll change the way everything works currently. Poor developers. They're gonna have a hard time making everything compatible with the new aspect ratio.
    Not if apple use it for an AD banner (I seriously wouldn't put it past em!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sk37cH View Post
    It didn't ruin android, but it sure as hell made it more difficult to develop for. First thing that comes to mind, is theming, it'll add another platform to theme for, and would require different size images. Not a huge deal, but I think it will affect what we see on our devices a little. Also, the latency bug for real time audio encoding in android, has slightly more negatives than the different screen sizes. And yes, I can give you a link :P
    could this be the start of (minor) apple fragmentation? haha. Really, it looks bad only for those using the older devices in the long run, and bad for those using the newer devices at the start of things. Eventually, there really is a need to increase the size. More and more people are claiming the need for it to be able to consume information better. (and more people are getting bad eyesight these days)