Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.K. Judge Says Galaxy Tab Doesn't Violate iPad Design Because It's 'Not As Cool'

Default U.K. Judge Says Galaxy Tab Doesn't Violate iPad Design Because It's 'Not As Cool'

Samsung can rest easy today after a U.K. judge rejected Apple's request to ban sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.

Judge Birss disagreed with Apple’s claim that Samsung’s tablet violated patents of Apple’s design because Samsung’s offering was not as “cool” as the iPad, therefore few would confuse the two devices despite their similar appearance.

"They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design," said Judge Birss.

"They are not as cool," he said. "The overall impression produced is different."

Apple declined to comment on the U.K. case specifically, only saying that there was “no coincidence” that Samsung’s products so closely resembled theirs. Samsung on the other hand issued a statement calling out Apple for hindering advancement in the industry.

"Should Apple continue to make excessive legal claims in other countries based on such generic designs, innovation in the industry could be harmed and consumer choice unduly limited."

Surprisingly neither side commented on the Judge’s reasoning behind dropping Apple’s claims. I’m not familiar with another case where the Judge decided against patent infringement because one of the parties involved was not as “cool” as the other. The judge might have inadvertently supplied Apple with some advertising fodder.

Source: BBC

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol so true though
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

When has anything that samsung has ever released been "Cool" though? The only thing of samsung's that even sounds remotely cool is that fridge siri was talking about at WWDC...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahaha... Makes me proud to be a Brit for once! Finally a UK judge who look at a case, made the right decision & retorted something worthwhile.

off topic because I can’t post on forums for some reason. Why did google label mmi as malware now? I get a message every page i go to that this website contains malware that may harm you’re computer. sorry about posting off topic :/

Am I really going to have to read the entire ruling in order to know if that's it -- if that's where the bar is set: 'cool'?

So, according to Samsung, Apple is 'stifling innovation' by protecting patents when competing products copy look or feel? What's so innovative about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    off topic because I can’t post on forums for some reason. Why did google label mmi as malware now? I get a message every page i go to that this website contains malware that may harm you’re computer. sorry about posting off topic :/
    Because it is an apple forum lol

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Am I really going to have to read the entire ruling in order to know if that's it -- if that's where the bar is set: 'cool'?

So, according to Samsung, Apple is 'stifling innovation' by protecting patents when competing products copy look or feel? What's so innovative about that?
    “They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design,” Judge Colin Birss QC said.
    “They are not as cool. The overall impression produced is different.”

“The court found the most vivid differences in the rear surface design, a part of tablets that allows designers a high degree of freedom for creativity, as there are no display panels, buttons, or any technical functions.”

Also ModMyi runs on windows server and it has been infected.

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    When has anything that samsung has ever released been "Cool" though? The only thing of samsung's that even sounds remotely cool is that fridge siri was talking about at WWDC...
    Now that deserves a GarageBand rimshot! lol good one!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsuck products are uncool. They're cheap n nasty.

I understand to an extent some of the suits based on specific technology infringements, but come on... Design??? All these tablets look the same... That's like a car manufacturer suing another manufacturer for making a car with a sunroof... "Heeeey.... That was our idea!!!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Samsuck products are uncool. They're cheap n nasty.
    lol Samsuck... You have officially changed they're name in my book! lol

modmyi is now a malware?!! mozilla says that

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Stay on topic. The malware problem is being addressed already and there are multiple threads that are not in the News section asking the same thing.

Back on topic...cool judge. That reasoning works for me.

mmyi is back now after being reported by my chrome server as being malware. this google/apple/samsung thing is starting to get ugly. i was afraid that i would have to forego my daily intake of trivia. actually, i would have missed some of you guys.

Somebody who actually knows how to shut down a phony crapple lawsuit.

In my humblest opinion the judge was being a bit ironic, and treating Apple's demands like an adult would treat a little kid's unreasonable demands.