+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Getting Clobbered By Android In Chinese Smartphone Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although any mobile device maker would be happy to claim such a sizable market share inside the world's largest mobile community, Apple likely isn't accepting 17% as the best it
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iOS Getting Clobbered By Android In Chinese Smartphone Market

Although any mobile device maker would be happy to claim such a sizable market share inside the world's largest mobile community, Apple likely isn't accepting 17% as the best it can do.

With China's smartphone market having grown 164% in the past year alone, iOS can and should do better inside of China, particularly as the iPhone becomes an increasingly popular handset among Chinese consumers. But Apple has a long way to go before catching Android in this rapidly expanding market.

The latest quarterly report from Needham & Company analyst Charlie Wolf shows that Android controls a dominant 70% of the smartphone market in China today. With cheaper and more accessible devices than Apple's iPhone, Android has truly become a powerhouse across Asia.

"The surge in China can be traced in part to the introduction of smartphones at materially lower prices that made them competitive with feature phones," Wolf said this week in his new report. "A material percentage of these sales were captured by second-tier Chinese manufacturers."

But the Chinese smartphone industry's growth overall has been most impressive. And with Chinese consumers clamoring to get their hands on the hottest new mobile gadget, Apple still has ample opportunity to eat into that commanding Android market share.

Source: Business Insider

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Chinese like to save 1/2 of their income and spend within their means, unlike Americans who like to spend more than they make. If Apple wants this market they need to make their stuff cheaper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Chinese like to save 1/2 of their income and spend within their means, unlike Americans who like to spend more than they make. If Apple wants this market they need to make their stuff cheaper.
    There is already a cheap iphone (actually free); the 3gs, and the iphone 4 is becoming is sort of cheap

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Not surprising Android would outperform Apple in China. It is the land of cheap, knock off, crap. Kind of fitting.

Green Apple
    Thanks

There is already a cheap iphone (actually free); the 3gs, and the iphone 4 is becoming is sort of cheap
    There is no such thing as "free or cheap" in China. What you are talking about a American contract offerings which subsidize the expense of the handset through the contract. In most other countries in the world, people opt for prepaid or month by month service, not subsidized contract prices. IF you want to know what it feels like to "buy a phone like a chinese man/woman" go into the apple store, tell them yours broke, say you want to buy one outright, then multiply the expense by at least 5 (to remotely adjust for a fair wage comparison) and then you may rethink that statement.

Thanks

Oh no way the Chinese are cheap? Tell me more!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple products are also made in China. Wake up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Safe Browsing
    Diagnostic page for modmyi.com
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
    Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.
    What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 4924 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 10 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-07-09, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-07-09.
    Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including sweepstakesandcontestsinfo.com/.
    1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including studio102.net/.
    This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS13335 (CLOUDFLARENET), AS18450 (WEBNX).
    Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, modmyi.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.
    Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.
    How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
    Safe Browsing
    Diagnostic page for modmyi.com
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
    Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.
    What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 4924 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 10 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-07-09, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-07-09.
    Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including sweepstakesandcontestsinfo.com/.
    1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including studio102.net/.
    This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS13335 (CLOUDFLARENET), AS18450 (WEBNX).
    Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, modmyi.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.
    Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.
    How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.
    Ummmm... what?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Ummmm... what?
    Google has detected modmyi has malware. Users, myself included have already reported the issue a while back and if you follow them on twitter they said it's been fixed and are waiting on Google to verify.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Not surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Chinese people have always been smart, it's normal that they prefer android over IOS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Google has detected modmyi has malware. Users, myself included have already reported the issue a while back and if you follow them on twitter they said it's been fixed and are waiting on Google to verify.
    I guess I was surprised to see this in a thread about the Chinese Android market.

Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    Chinese people have always been smart, it's normal that they prefer android over IOS.
    Why even join an Apple product forum? Judging by all 4 of your post, you sir are a troll...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iOS Getting Clobbered By Android In Chinese Smartphone Market-troll-spray-22840499824.jpeg  
    Last edited by luvmytj; 07-09-2012 at 05:53 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

H4CK3R (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder2005 View Post
    There is no such thing as "free or cheap" in China. What you are talking about a American contract offerings which subsidize the expense of the handset through the contract. In most other countries in the world, people opt for prepaid or month by month service, not subsidized contract prices. IF you want to know what it feels like to "buy a phone like a chinese man/woman" go into the apple store, tell them yours broke, say you want to buy one outright, then multiply the expense by at least 5 (to remotely adjust for a fair wage comparison) and then you may rethink that statement.
    EXAGGERATION FAIL
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...m_march_9.html

"The carrier is offering the 16GB iPhone 4S for free with the signing of a two-year contract for a monthly plan starting at 389RMB ($62), slightly more than China Unicom's 386RMB plan. The China Telecom data plan, however, offers more data and voice minutes and less text messages than its rival's comparable packages. A fully-subsidized 16GB iPhone 4S can be had for as low as 289RMB ($46) with a three-year contract."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is another of those misleading comparisons.

Android is an OS available on many, many handsets from many, many manufacturers -- including really cheap ones made and sold in and around China by all three of China's providers including the largest IN THE WORLD, China Mobile.

iOS is an OS available on handsets shipping from exactly one manufacturer which is neither cheap nor budget, and not available from the LARGEST PROVIDER IN THE WORLD, China Mobile.

And yet they have 'only' 17%. Wow, they must feel real bad about that when compared to ALL OTHER MANUFACTURERS COMBINED.

I wonder what happens when they get a deal with China Mobile...

Is Apple perfect? No. Are there things about them that suck? Yes. But can we at least compare apples to apples (no pun intended but still appropriate) when doing these kinds of stories? Do I like asking rhetorical questions? Yes!

I don't have the numbers, but I'd be more interested in the details relating to my points above:

- How many different handsets/manufacturers have Android on them in China?
    - What's the market share based on manufacturer and model (just top 5 or 10)?
    - How is that 'only 17%' sold via the #2 & #3 China carriers affected by not being on the #1 carrier (did I mention IN THE WORLD?) -- does that give a measurable advantage to the Android platforms?

If anyone has the answers, please speak up!
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 07-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is because there are cheap devices here tht run Android. You can get a ****** phone with gingerbread for less then 100USD here.

And to the poster above, why do Apple need to lower their price? That's just total ignorance because last I check, the iPhone is priced about the same as any other similar spec phone out there.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    Not surprising Android would outperform Apple in China. It is the land of cheap, knock off, crap. Kind of fitting.
    It is land that produced just about everything around the world! Even your beloved iPhones
    Last edited by unison999; 07-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks

iPhones are expensive, top of range phones. Wages are low in Chinaif Apple wanted market share at any cost they would have already released a cheaper phone in ROW.
    Android outsells iPhones everywhere. If you want cheap, buy Android. If you want the best you have a choice of iPhone or top end Android handsets at a similar price.
    In China less people can afford top end handsets (as a percentage - not necessarily in absolute numbers) so this story should not come as a surprise to anyone - least of all Apple.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder2005 View Post

Surely you'd tell them it bloke?

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    If you're just here to hate on the iPhone, you obviously have nothing better to do. If you have nothing good to say, don't say it.

But back on topic, this kinda shocks me in a way. You'd think Apple would be leading there, but apparently not. The whole Foxconn scandal could play a role in it, but not a whole lot. Android leads because of it's cheap price, and that's a fact.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

half of their income? i'd like to see the sources of that information. i'm sure most people would "like" to save half of their income. at any rate, i'm happy to see android phone sales doing so well if for no other reason than to compel apple to respond in ways favorable to the consumer. i like my apple toys, but i'm not opposed to expanding my playground. still, price is only only one factor. anyone can buy a $10 phone.

half of their income? i'd like to see the sources of that information. i'm sure most people would "like" to save half of their income. at any rate, i'm happy to see android phone sales doing so well if for no other reason than to compel apple to respond in ways favorable to the consumer. i like my apple toys, but i'm not opposed to expanding my playground. still, price is only only one factor. anyone can buy a $10 phone.
    Last edited by hank197857; 07-10-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    I see what you did there