Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Takes Action Against Vendors Selling Access to iOS 6 Developer Betas

Thanks

Default Apple Takes Action Against Vendors Selling Access to iOS 6 Developer Betas

According to MacStories, “several” websites advertising a Unique Device Identifier (UDID) activation service no longer appear to be operating due to Apple’s efforts. The Cupertino California company seems to be proactive when it comes to taking down a number of websites that sell developer device slots to non-developers looking to activate iOS pre-release betas.

The sites Apple has been targeting seem to be from a story profiled from Wired’s Andy Baio on the new industry last month. One of the site owners confirmed to MacStories that Apple had lodged a copyright infringement complaint with the site’s hosting provider. This specific site owner claimed to have made $75,000 since Apple began seeding beta releases of iOS 6 to developers in June. According to him though he doesn’t “believe our service was infringing and our services did not violate their guidelines for iOS 6.” The owner claims to be currently working on a new site “with better and more secure data lines to handle Apple.”

The report also noted that the CEO of a web hosting company told Baio via Twitter that Apple was “fairly heavy-handed” in sending Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown requests to sites that his company hosted that offered UDID developer activations. Apple’s developer accounts cost $99 annually and allow for activation for up to 100 devices for testing. Considering that one UDID activation-selling service was charging $8.99 per service, these websites could stand to make $800 per developer account, not counting other costs such as hosting or advertising.

The whole concept goes against what Apple specifically asked for as they warned developers not to sell their account device slots. The company reportedly closed accounts of some developers that it had identified as having sold UDID activations. Misusing the developer program seems to be common as many users want to try the new features out during beta but in the long run, is it really worth it?

Source: MacStories, Wired

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

happens every freaking time a beta comes out.. people sell it, apple takes down there dev account. the people still made there money

Making over $75,000 is really good because of just an Apple iOS 6 Beta !

Green Apple
    Thanks

So can they remotely disable my two iOS devices because I bought my beta releases from them?

Thanks

Trues story..like the police always 5 minutes late haha!

So $75,000 for what…a new maps icon. New maps. New phone skin. I'm sure there's more but still

People should just wait a couple days to see if there is a free work around like for me. You know. It just makes life easier ad cheaper.

LOL this is rediculous. All you have to do to install ios 6 without a developer account is hold shift in iTunes hit update and choose ios 6 beta .ipsw to go back to 5.1.1 just go to DFU mode and hit restore. Theres a difference between the update button and the restore button, i'm running it right now it's so awesome.
    Last edited by RRoD420; 07-10-2012 at 12:40 AM.

There's nothing special with iOS 6 at all. I used it since beta 1 to beta 2 and today I downgraded to 5.1.1. because I got annoyed with it being slow and my springboard always crashing and I couldn't use my favorite theme and tweaks like Intelliscreenx. It's not like iOS 5 when it had all of those neat features. I knew that it would be slow and what not.