+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make Notification Banners Less Obtrusive With 'CoverMeNot'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Make Notification Banners Less Obtrusive With 'CoverMeNot'

Apple has always advertised their banner notifications in iOS 5 as “less obtrusive” than their previous alert notifications. While it is entirely true that they are less obtrusive, some people may still find the banner notifications to be somewhat intrusive because they still cover up part of the interface you are working in until they go away. This can be annoying in applications like games or applications with user interface elements that are at the top of the screen where the banners appear.

iOS developer Ori Kadosh had enough of being annoyed by the banners popping up where he needs to tap. As a fix to the problem Apple created with the iOS 5 notification banners while trying to get rid of the obtrusive alert notification problem, Ori has created a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed CoverMeNot, which will move your user interface down below the notification banner so that the banner doesn’t cover any important buttons or pixels of the application you’re in.

In the time that the banner appears as a notification, the status bar will double in size, similarly to how it does when you start sharing your cellular data connection with iOS’s built in tethering service. This is how the tweak pushes your application’s interface down to make room for the banner. When the banner disappears, your status bar will return to its original size.

With CoverMeNot, banners will still appear and disappear in the same amount of time and automatically. It doesn’t come with any options to configure and it will become active as soon as you begin using it. If you’re tired of those pesky notification banners covering up your navigation or interface buttons, then give the free CoverMeNot jailbreak tweak a try!

Name: CoverMeNot
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo:ModMyi
    Developer: Ori Kadosh
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Ori Kadosh

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

A most excellent tweak! Thanks!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Someone make a tweak that allows you to adjust the display time of the banner notification!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i don't get it. finding the usefulness of this tweak is like finding waldo.

Banned
    Thanks

So instead of having the TOP be cut off now the BOTTOM is cut off???? WOW hard to believe that people actually develop stupid tweaks like this much less actually waste device resources having such a useless tweak running in the background

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoronPolice View Post
    So instead of having the TOP be cut off now the BOTTOM is cut off???? WOW hard to believe that people actually develop stupid tweaks like this much less actually waste device resources having such a useless tweak running in the background
    In nearly all apps, the main area is just made smaller to fit the banner; the bottom still stays in the same position.
    Also, tweaks don't run in the background... they hook into functions in the SpringBoard (in this case, the ones that show and hide banners) to perform other things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thekirbylover For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (07-08-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoronPolice View Post
    Nothing gets cut off - either the interface is squished a bit (similar to what happens when you are on a phone call and exit out of the phone app, or when you have tethering active with a device connected) or the screen is pushed down, simply making the active screen space a few pixels smaller. The smaller screen space doesn't actually cut anything off - take the above screenshot for example, the left side shows the original NC banner - the top of the screen is obviously cut off, and there is no way to see what is up there regardless of how hard your might scroll - the right side show the NC banner with the tweak installed, the screen is pushed down, but both the bottom buttons of the screen are accessible as it the top status bar, the bit of the web page that isn't seen can easily be scrolled to.

I can't believe how people could even even find something negative about this. It's like complaining about free gas just because it only 87 octane. *sigh* The general public will always validate to me why our world is the way it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
    Nothing gets cut off - either the interface is squished a bit (similar to what happens when you are on a phone call and exit out of the phone app, or when you have tethering active with a device connected) or the screen is pushed down, simply making the active screen space a few pixels smaller. The smaller screen space doesn't actually cut anything off - take the above screenshot for example, the left side shows the original NC banner - the top of the screen is obviously cut off, and there is no way to see what is up there regardless of how hard your might scroll - the right side show the NC banner with the tweak installed, the screen is pushed down, but both the bottom buttons of the screen are accessible as it the top status bar, the bit of the web page that isn't seen can easily be scrolled to.
    i think his point is if your looking at a website who really cares what is at the top.. frankly when you get a notification you read it and by the time your done it goes away or you click it and go to that app.

the above screen shots merely trade whats being cut off. the before screen shot has the top bar cut off by the notification banner and the after picture shows the full bar but pushes the top bar down thus cutting off content at the bottom of the screen..

so actually if you were reading that page and got a notification the text will actually shift down witch i think will be much more intrusive than the banner cutting off a part of my screen that wasnt even reading lol

either way cool tweak but ill pass never once have i even thought that content was getting cut off and annoying me lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

the lengthy explanations of this tweak illustrate how useless it is - free or not. free does not equate to worthwhile having. many useless things in life are free. nevertheless, if you like it, you're free to install it.
    Last edited by hank197857; 07-08-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: grammar

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

Useless is a relative term here I suppose. It's useless to those who have no use for it. Very useful to me as my home button works about one press out of 20. I have assigned swipes to the status bar to act like the home button as it is very convenient. And, for me, a lifesaver sometimes. Trying to add swipes somewhere else isn't as intuitive as the status bar. It's annoying when you get a text or email though when trying to swipe to close an app or swipe to activate multiflow as you have to wait for the notification to disappear. With this tweak, no more annoying wait. Thanks to the dev for his time in writing it......

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

jon, i'm guessing you, like so many others, are holding out for the release of the next iphone. i'm anxious to see it as well. i have apparently made an *** out of myself for assuming that a normal operating iphone was a given. my bad.

Thanks
    SmallBanners

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    i think his point is if your looking at a website who really cares what is at the top.. Frankly when you get a notification you read it and by the time your done it goes away or you click it and go to that app.

The above screen shots merely trade whats being cut off. The before screen shot has the top bar cut off by the notification banner and the after picture shows the full bar but pushes the top bar down thus cutting off content at the bottom of the screen..

So actually if you were reading that page and got a notification the text will actually shift down witch i think will be much more intrusive than the banner cutting off a part of my screen that wasnt even reading lol

either way cool tweak but ill pass never once have i even thought that content was getting cut off and annoying me lol
    exactly!!!