+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Give Mobile Safari the Google Chrome Omnibar Treatment With 'Safari Omnibar'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you would like to combine the Google search bar and the URL bar of iOS’s stock Web browser, Mobile Safari to make it work more like Google Chrome, then
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Default Give Mobile Safari the Google Chrome Omnibar Treatment With 'Safari Omnibar'

If you would like to combine the Google search bar and the URL bar of iOS’s stock Web browser, Mobile Safari to make it work more like Google Chrome, then check out a jailbreak tweak that was just released dubbed Safari Omnibar by iOS developer Otium. With it, you can get that omnibar that you know and love in Google Chrome in Apple's own Web browser.

The omnibar works exactly like the one in Google Chrome, it doesn’t just look like it. You can perform Google searches from the URL bar or you can type URLs into the URL bar – typing queries will launch a Google search for anything that you type into the text field and typing out URLs will launch the corresponding Web site as expected.

In addition to support for the omnibar in Mobile Safari, Safari Omnibar also makes it simple to search for text on a page. If you recall, Apple wants you to put text you wish to search for in the Google search bar and then scroll all the way down to the bottom and select the ‘find on page’ option. With Safari Omnibar, a search button is added to the text field so you can easily search for text on a page.

Safari Omnibar has no options to configure and the omnibar doesn’t really have any advantages over having both the URL bar and the Google search bar. It’s really a matter of personal preference. On the other hand, the new find on page implementation is much better than Apple's. The change to the Mobile Safari user interface won’t slow the Web browser down – so don’t be afraid to give it a try if it looks interesting to you; there's nothing to lose since it's free.

Name: Safari Omnibar
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Otium
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Awesome!! I love it

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

a tweak like this has been available for quite a while. it's kinda like that browser chooser/changer episode. at any rate, i opted to keep my search bar.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does this focus the cursor on the address/search field when you open a new tab? The tweak I've been using (safari unibar) does not, and it is somewhat annoying.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

What's the difference between this and unibar for safari

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way