+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Objective-C Booming Thanks to iOS Development

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Objective-C Booming Thanks to iOS Development

According to a recent study iOS app development seems to have a larger learning curve than other mobile platforms. Not only is it more difficult to learn and master it also costs developers more in terms of time, effort, and expenses to develop and iOS app compared to developing an Android, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone app. That being said, the iOS platform has boosted the popularity of Objective-C, the programming language used by Apple for development on both the iOS platform and the Mac platform, which in turns makes it the third most popular language with developers.

It was also revealed that despite the iOS platform being costly to develop for, it also offered the most financial reward. With the most to gain, itís easy to see why many developers would favor iOS development and Objective-C over other platforms and programming languages. July's TIOBE Programming Community Index shows that Objective-C beat out C++ for the number three spot, being left behind C and Java, which took the top two spots with 18.331% and 16.087% of developers using them respectively. Objective-C recently earned a respectable 9.335%, putting it just a little ahead of C++ which had 9.118% of developers actively using it.

The top ten list of programming languages include the following:

• C 18.331%
    • Java 16.087%
    • Objective-C 9.335%
    • C++ 9.118%
    • C# 6.668%
    • Visual Basic 5.695%
    • PHP 5.012%
    • Python 4.000%
    • Perl 2.053%
    • Ruby 1.768%

Apple seems to be gaining traction in various studies and charts, most of which continue to reflect the companyís growth.

Source: TIOBE

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

It may be doing well but none of these 3 will be beating out the other competition wise to the point that no one uses them anymore and that is all that really matters. I mean, who cares who is in the lead when all three of the top name programming languages are put up head to head.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Strange, I've always heard the opposite, that iOS was easier to code. For myself, I had 0 experience coding, but after downloading Xcode and getting a dev license I've started creating a few basic apps via following online tutorials and talking to people on forums.

I'm not about to make the next Angry Birds or anything, but I am learning quickly, and as I said prior to this I had 0 experience coding. I've compiled Linux kernels and the like, and compiled other peoples sources before but never did anything on my own before.

Just my $0.02.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ive been developing for a year and a half now, and almost 1 year of being in the app store, its not difficult. my first app in app store took half a month, on a windows computer using VMWare, and my app became top paid and made it so i could buy a real mac. its easy

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhasadhd View Post
    Ive been developing for a year and a half now, and almost 1 year of being in the app store, its not difficult. my first app in app store took half a month, on a windows computer using VMWare, and my app became top paid and made it so i could buy a real mac. its easy
    Just out of curiosity, what app did you make?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamilya77 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what app did you make?
    Yeah really?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow ... you guys got me so excited here. i'm eager to learn computer talk now. is it anything like ebonics?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Petersen View Post
    Strange, I've always heard the opposite, that iOS was easier to code. For myself, I had 0 experience coding, but after downloading Xcode and getting a dev license I've started creating a few basic apps via following online tutorials and talking to people on forums.

I'm not about to make the next Angry Birds or anything, but I am learning quickly, and as I said prior to this I had 0 experience coding. I've compiled Linux kernels and the like, and compiled other peoples sources before but never did anything on my own before.

Just my $0.02.
    I want to start coding and creating apps, downloaded Xcoder, but have no idea or clue what the hell I am doing. How did you learn or begin to learn, where did you research bro?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbuen323 View Post
    I want to start coding and creating apps, downloaded Xcoder, but have no idea or clue what the hell I am doing. How did you learn or begin to learn, where did you research bro?
    There is this new technology called the Internet and services on it called Search Engines... Also, they now sell bundles of paper all glued together in sequence with words on them, I think they call them books, and you can read them and learn things... It's amazing!

All sarcasm aside, get a clue dude, there are a million, million resources available. If you are this lazy trying to find out how to code, you might as well just pay someone to code an app for you for god sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxhasadhd View Post
    Yeah, some how I don't buy your fake ego boost. You must be the only humble developer on the planet not to boast about their awesome app by giving us the name of it. After all, it was top paid, so let me leave out the name instead of taking advantage of an advertising opportunity. Liar!
    Last edited by jbardi; 07-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

[QUOTE=jbardi;6606926]There is this new technology called the Internet and services on it called Search Engines... Also, they now sell bundles of paper all glued together in sequence with words on them, I think they call them books, and you can read them and learn things... It's amazing!

All sarcasm aside, get a clue dude, there are a million, million resources available. If you are this lazy trying to find out how to code, you might as well just pay someone to code an app for you for god sake!

Wow....you are pathetic loser......