+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modder Adds Wireless Charging Functionality to iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
wow this really isnt too hard at all, worth it if it wasnt expensive. and if i had an iphone 4.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

wow this really isnt too hard at all, worth it if it wasnt expensive. and if i had an iphone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've always avoided wireless charging. The reason being i use my phone a lot, and it's great to be able to still use it while it's charging on a cord. I can pick it up, move around, but with a wireless mat... it has to stay on that mat. So this kinda sucks anyway...

Thanks

Cool....But so risky!!!
    Last edited by MAYORLIM; 07-06-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks

Heres to hoping Apple implements this into the iPhone 5 themselves. Would be great, especially for getting car manufacturers to join the 'wireless charging revolution'

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thats Awesome But To Damn Hard Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I like to see a way to charge it with solar :P without the use of a Matt or any types of wires :P now that would be worth the price

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canelo8 View Post
    Its not pointless the fact that you can charge your iPhone with out wires, but more importantly without the bulky case it's a great mod.

Who keeps the case on when their phone isn't charging? So again, what is the point? Why does it matter if you snap a case on to charge your phone on a dock or don't? You have to set the phone on a mat to charge, wtf does a case or not matter?

Notice I said the WiCC for Droids? Take off back case, set a thin card on top of battery, snap back on, wireless charging. Maybe make that for an iPhone? WiCC - YouTube

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I wonder if it still allows for a normal charger to work and to sync
    Well, if you watch the video, you're only soldering some tiny wires onto the charging connector, not breaking any connections. So I'm assuming it leaves original charging ability in place. As for the syncing, I'm guessing there's a reason you only solder onto those specific wires and not all of them, even if it broke original charging functionality.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't find wireless charging that more convenient to be honest. It's not hugely more convenient over docking a phone or plugging it in. The device can still only charge while on a certain mat. It takes the same amount of time to place/pickup my phone in/from it's dock.
    Isn't this more charging via induction anywho. When true wireless charging is a thing that'll be impressive.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAYORLIM View Post
    Cool....But so risky!!!
    Not necessarily. There is a chance you could fry the battery, but really the most common thing you're looking at is inaccurate soldering, depends on whether or not you notice it before something breaks, but you could just desolder and try again. And I'm not aware of what possible damage to the motherboard could be done, but I'm assuming there isn't TOO high of a chance... Well... Depends on how it handles data from the cable that iTunes syncs to it. I guess if you put it in the wrong place it could go straight to the flash memory and sizzle the circuits. But all in all, just hard if you pay attention to what you're doing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I gotta agree with "pointless" - especially with all that is needed to get it going.

Also have to say - how hard is it to just plug your phone in
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

Thanks
    The only thing that sucks about it is that it stops charging once it hits 100%. so when i wake up in the morning the battery has depleted at least 20%. so I'd stick w/ wires, until they fix this part of it. even w/ the case on it w/o the mod it'd do that. plus I'd still like to use my phone while its charging, but i guess it is nice to have the option.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'd be willing to bet this mod has an unpleasant side-effect on your cellular reception.

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hogs4Life View Post
    I meant it's pointless to do all of that. Setting your iPhone on a charge mat, how is this any different than the WiCC from Powermat? Wireless charging, doesn't void warranty, no soldering...like I said, this is pointless to do when there are wireless charge pads all over, which is all this is.
    Not really pointless, but probably more of an inefficient process.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lysias55 View Post
    The only thing that sucks about it is that it stops charging once it hits 100%. so when i wake up in the morning the battery has depleted at least 20%. so I'd stick w/ wires, until they fix this part of it. even w/ the case on it w/o the mod it'd do that. plus I'd still like to use my phone while its charging, but i guess it is nice to have the option.
    This is why I wouldn't want to do it. All the reasons and a few things I didn't know so I guess this mod is now pointless until there is a way to fix that problem.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,975 Times in 771 Posts

somebody should work on kinetic charging

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12