+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Confirmed to be working on a Smartphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Amazon Confirmed to be working on a Smartphone

According to Bloomberg, sources with familiar with Amazon’s plans revealed that the online retailer is covering its bases by seeking out wireless technology patents to protect itself from legal action once it enters the smartphone market, which is something it plans on doing. It is being said that Amazon is working on a handset that is to directly compete with Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android smartphones.

As of right now, Amazon reportedly expressed interest in a set of wireless patents from InterDigital but lost out to Intel, which purchased the intellectual property for $375 million. According to Bloomberg’s sources, Amazon is currently “taking pitches and setting up briefings with other sellers.” One tipster mentioned that contract manufacturer Foxconn has also been tapped to produce the handset with Amazon.

The possibility of an Amazon-developer smartphone and reports of one being in the works aren’t entirely new here. Citigroup Mark Mahaney reported of a joint Amazon-Foxconn smartphone project in the works last year. The analyst estimated the device would cost anywhere between $150 to $170 to build and could possibly be sold at cost. This isn’t entirely a new venture for someone like Amazon as they started getting into the hardware business with the Kindle e-ink readers. The company then extended into the low-end tablet market with its Kindle Fire late last year. The sales of the Kindle Fire started out hot but have cooled off quite a bit since then.

A next-generation Kindle Fire is set to arrive later this year and the possibility of some news of an Amazon smartphone may very well compliment the headlines as well. We’ll have to wait and see what Amazon has in store for everyone but the news should be great for consumers as this only means more competition and better quality products as a result of everything.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think this site understand what the word confirmed means nor the difference between rumor and report.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 670 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I don't think this site understand what the word confirmed means nor the difference between rumor and report.
    Maybe a confirmed rumor? LOL :P

Thanks

+1

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that a smartphone from amazon would be pretty cool and would like to test it for maybe a week or two but not have to get rid of my 4s.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I think that a smartphone from amazon would be pretty cool and would like to test it for maybe a week or two but not have to get rid of my 4s.
    Low End. Not an apple enemy, more
    An enemy to themselves

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Agreed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    An enemy to themselves
    If you know anything about amazon they make reliable products that are cheap and affordable. They are known for going under for consumers benefits. They spend more producing the kindle then sellin it (79 to produce 75 retail). They arent a smartphone threat but they are a threat to Samsung cause of all the low nonsmartphones Samsung makes

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    An enemy to themselves
    I'm just saying that I would like to get one but not have to deactivate my 4s is all. Plus they make some really nice products for cheap.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmmm I have a baaaad feeling about this... with all the competition that Apple is getting recently, you Apple better do something different more than one bigger iPhone this time.

Thanks

Soooo…if true…what OS will it use? Android, Win8, or their own?!