+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese Firm Sues Apple for Allegedly Infringing Voice-Recognizing Assistant Patent

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Chinese Firm Sues Apple for Allegedly Infringing Voice-Recognizing Assistant Patent

Chinese software firm, Zhizhen Network Technology, recently hit Apple with a patent infringement suit for allegedly violating its 2006 voice-recognizing patent with the integration of Siri-technology into the iPhone 4S.

According to a report from M.I.C. Gadget, the recently filed lawsuit infringes on the “ZL200410053749.9″ patent for “a type of instant messaging chat bot system” dubbed Xiaoi Bot. The software is said to be implemented in China by Microsoft’s MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and Shanghai Expo’s Dr. Haibao among others. While the patent for Xiaoi bot was originally filed for in 2004 with a subsequent approval in 2006, Zhizhen only recently revealed the Siri-like technology in February on the Android platform launched in Lenovo’s Android 4.0 Smart TV. In this particular case, the technology is being compared to Apple’s Siri release in the Chinese market in January with the addition of the system’s Chinese language support at WWDC last month.

For those of you who are interested, you can watch a video of the Xiaoi Bot software running on an Android handset with the app having an uncanny resemblance to Siri’s user interface:

The Shanghai based technology firm attempted to contact Apple for mediation in May but received no response. A Chinese court is now said to be holding pre-trial negotiations but no official statements have been released as of yet. The lawsuit adds to the growing number of Chinese court claims filed against Apple as a separate suit alleges Apple of violating a trademark for the Snow Leopard name as well as the recent $60 million settlement Apple paid out to Proview.

Source: M.I.C. Gadget

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahaha now that's funny. Guess ur finally getting caught for stealing others ideas huh apple? You can't just take someone's idea and claim its yours and try to get a patent on it before u get busted for theft lol.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Well Apple bought Siri from another company. So technically it's not Apple stealing from others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ninja View Post
    Hahaha now that's funny. Guess ur finally getting caught for stealing others ideas huh apple? You can't just take someone's idea and claim its yours and try to get a patent on it before u get busted for theft lol.
    People make all kinds of claims. Don't know how you think you know the truth in this matter.

I think it's hilarious they are being sued over a trademark for snow leopard. You shouldn't be able to trademark/copyright common words. Is someone going to sue whomever gave the first snow leopard its name?

You have enough money and everyone starts looking for a handout I guess.
    Hmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    People make all kinds of claims. Don't know how you think you know the truth in this matter.

I think it's hilarious they are being sued over a trademark for snow leopard. You shouldn't be able to trademark/copyright common words. Is someone going to sue whomever gave the first snow leopard its name?

You have enough money and everyone starts looking for a handout I guess.
    Um have u not been paying attention to the patent infringements apple has been suing everyone else for? They even got the lock screen slider to unlock patent even though they weren't the fist to do it. Actually a lot if apples patents have been around for many years before apple ever thought about a phone. And if you think apple don't steal others ideas and claim them as their own then ur sadly blinded by them. I for one love my iPhone and iMac but I am not so stuck up their asses that I am blind to their faults.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What goes around comes back around Apple .. i Love Apple product but i really hate their arrogance period

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Well Apple bought Siri from another company. So technically it's not Apple stealing from others.
    Still they bought it, so technically they are resposible for it.

Thanks

And where do most of the fakes in the world come from???

Thanks

please. do we need to back and look at eliza for a bot responding to chat prior art.

this is yet another attempt to milk apple in a frivolous lawsuit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    please. do we need to back and look at eliza for a bot responding to chat prior art.

this is yet another attempt to milk apple in a frivolous lawsuit.
    Yes, milk them for as much as you can!! apple in the past has been ridiculously unreasonable, suing company's for just about any and everything. come to find out they are one of the biggest thieves of our time. i love my iphone but apple is ridiculous

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    True, but Siri as it's implemented on the 4S is Apple's design, and if this form's claims are legit, then it would indicate that Apple did lift the design and feel from them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Screw china. They're just full of crap like crapple is.

Quote Originally Posted by fadadman View Post
    Yes, milk them for as much as you can!! apple in the past has been ridiculously unreasonable, suing company's for just about any and everything. come to find out they are one of the biggest thieves of our time. i love my iphone but apple is ridiculous
    And thank you for speaking the truth.

Thanks

Um have u not been paying attention to the patent infringements apple has been suing everyone else for? They even got the lock screen slider to unlock patent even though they weren't the fist to do it. Actually a lot if apples patents have been around for many years before apple ever thought about a phone. And if you think apple don't steal others ideas and claim them as their own then ur sadly blinded by them. I for one love my iPhone and iMac but I am not so stuck up their asses that I am blind to their faults.
    Oh please!
    If I am granted a patent for a colourless liquid required for life itself then fine. Regardless of whether I invented it or not, the important point is, wait for it.........I HOLD THE PATENT. That's the important point.
    They should never have been granted the patent in the first place, but once they have, tough titty, they have a right to defend it. I think you'll find in life probably countless examples of things companies/individuals hold patents for that they didn't invent. Apple are no different, deal with it.
    The system needs an overhaul, until then obey the law.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Oh please!
    If I am granted a patent for a colourless liquid required for life itself then fine. Regardless of whether I invented it or not, the important point is, wait for it.........I HOLD THE PATENT. That's the important point.
    They should never have been granted the patent in the first place, but once they have, tough titty, they have a right to defend it.
    You may have the right to defend it, but a judge also has every right to toss the suit back out into the gutter rather than tolerate such a frivolous waste of the courts time.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

To all the commenters out there... YOU'RE NOT LAWYERS!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Oh please!
    They should never have been granted the patent in the first place, but once they have, tough titty, they have a right to defend it. I think you'll find in life probably countless examples of things companies/individuals hold patents for that they didn't invent. Apple are no different, deal with it.
    The system needs an overhaul, until then obey the law.
    Well said! Don't blame Apple blame the legal system that allows you to get a patent on something you didn't invent just because no one else has or can't (I'd imagine it is very expensive for a small inventor to buy a patent for his/her's inventions)...

Thanks

I do not blame apple for getting the patent I blame them for their abuse of the systems flaws. By the way I know the law better than u think lol.. Not everyone who is a tech geek is a nerd living with his parents. I'm a grown man with a career....

Btw I hope something happens to apple to make them rethink their being a bully strategy. You guys don't see it yet but apples main goal is to be the only phone maker left. They are monopolizing the industry with just 1 device. Yea if that's not playing the game dirty then u sir need help.

Thanks

I do not blame apple for getting the patent I blame them for their abuse of the systems flaws. By the way I know the law better than u think lol.. Not everyone who is a tech geek is a nerd living with his parents. I'm a grown man with a career....

Btw I hope something happens to apple to make them rethink their being a bully strategy. You guys don't see it yet but apples main goal is to be the only phone maker left. They are monopolizing the industry with just 1 device. Yea if that's not playing the game dirty then u sir need help.
    Apple has always made it clear that they want to be the superior company in the mobile phone industry at least Steve wasn't shy when asked what he thought of Android and how he wanted to "go thermonuclear on it". Yes apple are out to build a monopoly and yes they are abusing the system but that's only because they can I know I would too if I was in the same situation as apple. If I could get a patent on something as simple as unlocking an electronic device with a sliding motion and then ruin a company with something so simple (and that probably shouldn't have been granted in the first place) and to top it all off then ban a companies device just because the phone searches its own contents I would. Is that fair on other companies? Of course not but that's life and life isn't fair! If you can play the system then you should because only by playing the system are its flaws revealed and exposed to the world so that something can be done about it...

Thanks

It looks like no one reads articles in full. So, let's find the most important part:
    "...Zhizhen only recently revealed the Siri-like technology in February on the Android platform launched in Lenovo’s Android 4.0 Smart TV..."
    Therefore i presume design (especially of the button) has been copied from apple, not the other way around. As to the functionality, siri as assistant was prior to this one. The claim is about that ___chinese support___ was added on Apple's siri later, than this company presented their clone of siri, but with the chinese support.
    *Sigh

Thanks
    Thumbs up You are right
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Apple has always made it clear that they want to be the superior company in the mobile phone industry at least Steve wasn't shy when asked what he thought of Android and how he wanted to "go thermonuclear on it". Yes apple are out to build a monopoly and yes they are abusing the system but that's only because they can I know I would too if I was in the same situation as apple. If I could get a patent on something as simple as unlocking an electronic device with a sliding motion and then ruin a company with something so simple (and that probably shouldn't have been granted in the first place) and to top it all off then ban a companies device just because the phone searches its own contents I would. Is that fair on other companies? Of course not but that's life and life isn't fair! If you can play the system then you should because only by playing the system are its flaws revealed and exposed to the world so that something can be done about it...

If Apple didn't protected there patent? Who is the first copycat in this world.