+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next Generation iPhone Rumored to Feature Quad-Core Processor

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to claims from Digitimes , Apple’s next-generation iPhone is said to be powered by a quad-core ARM processor based on Samsung’s Exynos 4 architecture. Other details such as clock
    Thanks

Default Next Generation iPhone Rumored to Feature Quad-Core Processor

According to claims from Digitimes, Apple’s next-generation iPhone is said to be powered by a quad-core ARM processor based on Samsung’s Exynos 4 architecture. Other details such as clock speed and graphics processing capabilities were not presented though. An upgrade to a quad-core processor seems to make sense though as the new device would need it to compete with other smartphones in the market.

Last year’s iPhone 4S features a custom dual-core processor clocked at 800 megahertz, known as Apple’s “A5” chip. The chip was originally introduced several months before in the iPad 2, where it ran slightly faster at 1 GHz, due to having a larger form factor with a bigger battery. The third-generation iPad, which launched this year didn’t unveil a true next-generation chip, as Apple named the processor the “A5X,” suggesting an evolutionary upgrade over its predecessor. The new CPU is based around Samsung’s 45-nanometer low-power architecture, also found in the A5 CPU in the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2. The main change with the A5X was an updated integrated graphics processor, as the CPU remained dual core but the GPU was upgraded to quad-core in order to pump out the 3.1 million pixels that make up the tablet’s high resolution Retina display.

If the Cupertino California company was to introduce a quad-core ARM CPU for its next-gen iPhone, the upgrade could be significant enough to earn the title of an “A6” chip. The introduction of a quad-core iPhone would help “heat up” the competition with other quad-core smartphones. Currently Samsung, HTC, LG, and Meizu have all launched quad-core smartphones in the second quarter of 2012 and thanks to the volume production of chips from Qualcomm, more quad-core smartphones are expected to be introduced in the second half of 2012.

We’ll have to wait and see what Apple ends up deciding to go with on the next-generation iPhone come fall, when the company is expected to announce the device.

Source: Digitimes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Never trust a rumor about a next gen iPhone!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well it's a possibility !! Waiting for iPhone 5

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Very strange the relationship between Apple & Samsung... They're like an elderly married couple, always arguing but always stay together... lol

Thanks

I'll just wait for it to drop..rumors are rarely correct.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I'll just wait for it to drop..rumors are rarely correct.
    The sooner they release the i phone 5 the better .

Thanks

This will not happen especially in the USA. Quad core chips are not yet compatible with 4G/LTE. Which is the same reason why the galaxy s3 is available outside the USA as a quad core but only as a dual core with in. If I find the article I was reading I will post it here and it should lay this rumor to rest

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

It could also be used as a remote control to flush toilets

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't get these things. Shouldn't a rumor be something more or less interesting? Surprising? We knew quad core mobile chips would be available this year, certainly by Fall (which seems like the next iPhone release).

I hate to be "that hipster" or whatever, but I've been waiting with my half-broken 3GS for over a year just because I new quad core chips would be ready and the 6th gen iPhone could likely have one.

It's not like they got there hands on some A6 chip parts... just another darn rumor. Don't get me wrong, I love discussion about mobile chips, but it's just getting stupid. It seems Apple blogs don't get the Apple theory. Instead of spamming blog posts of all different sorts, maybe make a select few stories that are truly interesting and worth it. Sound familiar? (hint: Android vs. Apple release cycle)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand why there is a need for a quad-core processor.

Can batteries sustain an octo-core processor on an LTE network with 3D 15MP cameras streaming in 7.1 surround sound to YouTube while simultaneous doing TPS reports and post processing last nights bachelor party footage?

I rather have longer battery life with complete 3G coverage so I can check the web for important information instead of draining my battery by watching last nights highlight real of the NBA finals... I have an iPad for that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armypunk2003 View Post
    This will not happen especially in the USA. Quad core chips are not yet compatible with 4G/LTE. Which is the same reason why the galaxy s3 is available outside the USA as a quad core but only as a dual core with in. If I find the article I was reading I will post it here and it should lay this rumor to rest
    Apple can overcome these problems and has a tendency to work with others to fix such problems. It was Apple that worked with carriers to enable visual voicemail on the iPhone so if it's a problem with the 4G/LTE networks apple will work with celluar carriers to fix this. If it is a hardware fault apple will re-invent the wheel working closely with hardware manufactures (just look how much of a triumph in hardware the new retina display macbook pro is for example). Where there is a will there is a way

Green Apple
    Thanks

if this rumor is true, but i doubt it, i smell battery problems!

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay. A new set of jb issues to overcome with a new processor!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd rather have a Gb or two of RAM, personally.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really dont understand why so many people think that adding more cores will drain your battery faster. If anything, this will save battery, because they'll use a lower nm process and the added cores will be doing the same tasks as a single or dual, but faster and with the same amount of power.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow, i just returned from korea two days ago. the s3 there is selling for the equivalent of $882 (around 940,000 won). amazon sells s3 for around $670. i used the google translate on my iphone to ask the salesperson why. he said that the u.s. phones were different. hmmm ... the s3 there was also 3g and still sold for just as much as the pseudo quad-core. i'm not technically inclined like the rest of you here, but my spidey senses went off when the salesperson started talking.
    Last edited by hank197857; 07-08-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling and clarity