+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Aptdate' Will Alert You When You Have Cydia Package Updates

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Many of us are guilty of not updating our Cydia packages on a timely fashion. Whether it’s because we don’t know we have updates, we become busy throughout the day,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 772 Posts

Default 'Aptdate' Will Alert You When You Have Cydia Package Updates

Many of us are guilty of not updating our Cydia packages on a timely fashion. Whether it’s because we don’t know we have updates, we become busy throughout the day, or we just can’t be bothered to spend our time updating our software, we just find ourselves inclined not to update everything as soon as an update is released.

A new tweak dubbed Aptdate by iOS developer thekirbylover is now available in Cydia and it will let you know when there is an update for your packages in Cydia. It will be a real life saver if you have a hard time catching up with tweak updates in Cydia.

Aptdate checks the status of CydiaUpdates.net every five hours to see if there are any updates to the packages installed on your iOS device. Unfortunately, since the tweak checks that Web site to see if there are updates available, you won't get a notification if that Web site doesn't support the repository of the tweak you need updated. That being said, the scope of Aptdate is limited, but it should pick up on most of your tweaks since CydiaUpdates covers most of the default repositories including BigBoss and ModMyi.

From the preferences pane, you will find options to configure for Aptdate. From here, you can enable and disable the tweak on demand. The option to change the time increments of when Aptdate checks for Cydia package updates is coming in a future update, however it defaults to every five hours for now. It's a considerable amount of time, but a single check every five hours should not kill your battery very effectively.

Aptdate only displays notifications with the iOS 5 banner style and the banner includes a Cydia icon with a description that reads, “An update for [tweak name here] is available.” You can then manually dismiss the banner with the round ‘X’ button at the right side of the banner. The banner notification is better than an alert-style notification because it is less obtrusive and still allows you to play a game or to continue with the task at hand without having to pause and direct your attention toward the notification before you can get back to your task.

For a free tweak, Aptdate is worth taking a look at. It's very clean, simplistic, and it is a great addition to all jailbroken devices. It does require an internet connection to check for package updates. Check it out!

Name: Aptdate
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1.1-3
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: thekirbylover
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: thekirbylover
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

there are already 2 tweaks like this, I hope this one only looks for updates if on wifi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    there are already 2 tweaks like this
    Yup, thats the first thing I thought when I saw this
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Banned
    Thanks

Which one of these is better?
    I dont want to install multiple items just in case 1 of them clashes with other things from Cydia.
    I have enough problems with Mobile Substrate...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Curiosa works fine and has the activator events built in. I hold the up button and get an automatic check. Has a "check now" button on in settings too.

Thanks

I installed this yesterday... I've seen similar things for being notified of app store updates but hadn't noticed one yet for Cydia notifications... Funny thing is: I usually check Cydia more than once every 5 hours... So this is cool if for some crazy reason I go more than 5 hours without firing up Cydia. Is opening Cydia a minimum of 4 times a day excessive? Probably... Do I care... No 😜

Thanks

I've had this for ages. Curiosa.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

after 650,000 apps, it appears as if the idea well is running dry. let's hope not. i'm still waiting for colored fonts in sms!

Thanks

Okay I;m confused. Apdate says it shows updates for stock repos only, whereas there's no mention about that for curiosa. So I want one that notifies updates for ALL repos. which one to choose?

Thanks

So how is this different to the currently installed curiosa on my device?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The developer should add a feature too only check when on WIFI.

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

I dunno, things like this may sound convenient and all, but with less control of what uses my internet connection. I would prefer checking it manually at least it only bothers me once a week yeah?