+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Squashes Android With 65% Mobile Browser Share Last Month

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iOS Squashes Android With 65% Mobile Browser Share Last Month

According to the latest data presented by the folks at Net Applications, Apple had a phenomenal month of June in the mobile browser space, particularly with regard to thwarting Android in a very, very convincing manner.

The facts of the matter are pretty difficult to disregard or overlook. As it turns out, Apple’s iOS claimed a staggering 65 percent of the mobile browser share last month. How about Android you ask? Google's still hugely popular mobile operating system only grabbed 20 percent in comparison.

During the last twelve months, however, both Android and iOS have increased in popularity and market share across a wide array of categories. All gains, of course, have come at someone's expense - usually BlackBerry. But just since late last summer, Apple’s mobile browser share has climbed from just north of 50% all the way to 65%.

And as far as the losers in the game? Well, BlackBerry and Nokia’s Symbian platforms have continued to struggle. BlackBerry now retains a sad 1.33 percent of the market. Nokia’s share is hardly better at 1.49 percent. But Microsoft’s mobile platform market share has the most room for improvement at just 0.61 percent.

Source: Net Applications

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If only iOS had a decent browser

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I know, right? Imagine if it had Chrome or iCab Mobile.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Run that report at the end of the month and you'll see that advantage completely disappear with the release of GOOGLE Chrome, which is the number one rated app on the app store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Run that report at the end of the month and you'll see that advantage completely disappear with the release of GOOGLE Chrome, which is the number one rated app on the app store.
    Hahahaha.....oh man...this is hilarious. You do realize that Chrome for iOS, is ran on...wait for it...iOS!! Sorry man, but that was just to funny!
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why do you all hate safari for iOS? (I know it's not the best on comps). It is easy to use and does its job. What can't you do with it? You can easily search go to previous/next page there's an easy URL you can go to bookmarks history add little links in your homescreen. What's wrong with it? You want faster speeds then get on faster wifi or a better server

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You can also change the UAString on Android pretty easily along with using browsers that dont' show they are on Android to deliver desktop webpages on mobile devices. These numbers are flawed.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Hahahaha.....oh man...this is hilarious. You do realize that Chrome for iOS, is ran on...wait for it...iOS!! Sorry man, but that was just to funny!

Lol! This made me laugh! Good job!

I don't mind Safari at all, though right now I'm using Chrome which I really like. It's funny to see BB and Nokia at such low numbers, they should just give up

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
    I know, right? Imagine if it had Chrome or iCab Mobile.
    Chrome on iOS is just a skin for Safari.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    You can also change the UAString on Android pretty easily along with using browsers that dont' show they are on Android to deliver desktop webpages on mobile devices. These numbers are flawed.
    Exactly, these statistics ARE 100% inaccurate considering the amount of android users use third party software IE dolphin, chrome etc. These are only based of UAString and the company looking at this should stop posting inaccurate information or at lest state that these numbers are based of users using the stock browsers and uastrings.

Green Apple
    Thanks

in all honesty I really like safari... its one of the fastest for the iphone and the most stable, so i cant really complain

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i had no problems using safari on the iphone, but chrome is far superior on the mac. that's why i'm trying chrome on my iphone now. i can't really tell the difference.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    Exactly, these statistics ARE 100% inaccurate considering the amount of android users use third party software IE dolphin, chrome etc. These are only based of UAString and the company looking at this should stop posting inaccurate information or at lest state that these numbers are based of users using the stock browsers and uastrings.
    If these statistics are inaccurate then how much more mobile share can Android grab?

I mean, iOS is already 65%, so that leaves 35%.

Now the share of non-iOS and non-Andriod platforms cannot be inaccurate, right?

So what is left is Andriod+Other, which is 20%+1% = 21%.

Case closed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yohu123 View Post
    If these statistics are inaccurate then how much more mobile share can Android grab?

I mean, iOS is already 65%, so that leaves 35%.

Now the share of non-iOS and non-Andriod platforms cannot be inaccurate, right?

So what is left is Andriod+Other, which is 20%+1% = 21%.

Case closed.
    Case not closed. This report is looking for data used by MOBILE browsers. The argument is that Android 3rd party browsers allow you to change UAstrings to make your phone appear as a DESKTOP browser. DESKTOP browser data would not be reported as MOBILE, thus the data is inaccurate.

You've just been lawyered.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The guys suggesting these numbers are wrong really need to learn about how the data is collected before making up conspiracy theories. As for the comment about chrome bring just a theme for safari: hopefully the poster is joking and is not seriously so willfully ignorant.

What's Jailbreak? MomentousImpact's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
    The guys suggesting these numbers are wrong really need to learn about how the data is collected before making up conspiracy theories. As for the comment about chrome bring just a theme for safari: hopefully the poster is joking and is not seriously so willfully ignorant.
    Tkess is not at all wrong if you read the page you would realize that and stop being so ignorant.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Chrome on iOS is just a skin for Safari.
    Uh no lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tkess View Post
    Case not closed. This report is looking for data used by MOBILE browsers. The argument is that Android 3rd party browsers allow you to change UAstrings to make your phone appear as a DESKTOP browser. DESKTOP browser data would not be reported as MOBILE, thus the data is inaccurate.

You've just been lawyered.
    Edit: I see you beat me to it! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Why do you all hate safari for iOS? (I know it's not the best on comps). It is easy to use and does its job. What can't you do with it? You can easily search go to previous/next page there's an easy URL you can go to bookmarks history add little links in your homescreen. What's wrong with it? You want faster speeds then get on faster wifi or a better server

Safari is lacking in certain areas. Some content can't be displayed correctly, etc.
    Last edited by Agent929; 07-05-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess, people have to turn on their browser for the most part while Android users live with just the apps? Besides, most android users browse the net in Desktop mode. This modifies the "name" of the browser into PC instead of android phone so that they can view the whole PC experience. There is very little credibility to "browser" usage and it's effect in Market share. Still, way to go iOS! Woot!