+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'ChromeCustomization' Adds Some New Stuff to Google Chrome

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Google Chrome for iOS has simply blasted off in popularity since its original release on the platform last week. Jailbreak developers are taking advantage of the new browser by adding
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 755 Posts

Default 'ChromeCustomization' Adds Some New Stuff to Google Chrome

Google Chrome for iOS has simply blasted off in popularity since its original release on the platform last week. Jailbreak developers are taking advantage of the new browser by adding new features such as making it a default Web browser for iOS and now the ability to customize some of its internal options with a new free jailbreak tweak by iOS hacker and developer Ryan Petrich dubbed ChromeCustomize.

ChromeCustomize adds a couple of simple new features to the Web browser including the ability to change between tabbing animations and the ability to add your own Javascript function to the “Read Later” function of Google Chrome’s menu. If you know how to code in Javascript, you would be able to type it out yourself – alternatively, most users will find it easier to simply copy and paste a Javascript function from another source and place it in the text field from the preferences pane shown above.

One example of a "Read Later" function someone might want to use is that of Instapaper. If one wanted to use Instapaper with the ChromeCustomize jailbreak tweak, you can copy and paste the Javascript code from their Web site into the preferences pane; this script will allow the user to instantly view any compatible Web page in Instapaper's Text view, right in your browser. The Javascript code for that function is below if you would like to try it out in Ryan's new jailbreak tweak (just copy from below and paste in the preferences pane text field):

PHP Code:
    function%20iptxt(){var%20d=document;try{if(!d.body)throw(0);window.location='http://www.instapaper.com/text?u='+encodeURIComponent(d.location.href);}catch(e){alert('Please%20wait%20until%20the%20page%20has%20loaded.');}}iptxt();void(0
    To run the script after you have added it, go to a Web site, open the Google Chrome menu, and tap on the "Read Later" button:

ChromeCustomize works with just about all services with bookmarklets. As far as the tabbing animations go, you can choose between the default animation, the iPhone (detailed) animation, or the iPad (quick) animation. With the iPhone animation, you can see your tabs change in a Zephyr-like way. With the iPad animation, it just happens quickly and you don't see much of an animation at all.

ChromeCustomize is free, but you can only download it from Ryan Petrich's private repository. To add it, open Cydia and tap on Manage, then tap on Sources, then tap on Add, and type in the following repository URL:
    PHP Code:
    http://rpetri.ch/repo/ 
    Whether you will find the tweak useful or not depends on how you enjoy the animations of the browser as it comes stock or if you will find the Javascript function setting useful. It's free and it's a good tweak to try out if you're curious about it.

Name: ChromeCustomize
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.1
    Repo: Ryan Petrich's repository
    Developer: Ryan Petrich
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Ryan Petrich
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love to see a tweak that allowed Chrome to launch the Youtube or Maps app when clicking a link.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBojank View Post
    I'd love to see a tweak that allowed Chrome to launch the Youtube or Maps app when clicking a link.
    This already exists. Browser Changer has it in settings

Thanks

The biggest flaw with Chrome's bookmarks system is that you can't use JavaScript. I hope they fix this.

Banned
    Thanks

I tried this and saw no change at all. what does it do again?

Thanks

I'd like to see an upload/download enabler for Chrome... that's all it's missing for me.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    I'd like to see an upload/download enabler for Chrome... that's all it's missing for me.
    +1 that would be sweet
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    We need springboard shortcuts for Chrome !! Then it'll be perfect!

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    This already exists. Browser Changer has it in settings
    I'm using browserchanger and it doesn't open them.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does anyone have the script to Read Later with Pocket instead of instapaper?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ins0mniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    Does anyone have the script to Read Later with Pocket instead of instapaper?
    It's different code per account. I did it by making chrome the default browser with "BrowserChooser" then go into the Pocket app and click "help" then "how to save". Scroll down till you see the "save in mobile safari option" then click it and it should open up in Chrome with instructions on how to add a bookmarklet. Follow the procedure to step 2 and it will say "the code has been copied to your clipboard automatically". Now exit Chrome and go into the settings of ChromeCustomization and paste the clipboard's contents directly into the JavaScript box.

Now when you click the "Read Later" option in Chrome, the Pocket bookmarklet will run and you'll see the "page saved" Pocket banner appear at the top of the page if it's working correctly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Mods are now so focused on the new Chrome Browser. I guess people do prefer Chrome over safari

Thanks

I certainly do. It's such a well thought out experience and I barely noticea any difference to Safari's nitro JavaScript engine (it sucks how Apple won't allow 3rd party developers access to it all the same though).

If you're a Chrome user on the desktop it's a dream finally having your mobile/desktop experience unified in a way that makes sense.

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ins0mniac View Post
    It's different code per account. I did it by making chrome the default browser with "BrowserChooser" then go into the Pocket app and click "help" then "how to save". Scroll down till you see the "save in mobile safari option" then click it and it should open up in Chrome with instructions on how to add a bookmarklet. Follow the procedure to step 2 and it will say "the code has been copied to your clipboard automatically". Now exit Chrome and go into the settings of ChromeCustomization and paste the clipboard's contents directly into the JavaScript box.

Now when you click the "Read Later" option in Chrome, the Pocket bookmarklet will run and you'll see the "page saved" Pocket banner appear at the top of the page if it's working correctly.
    Much appreciated! I couldn't get the Instapaper code posted here to work but this method worked perfectly for Pocket.
    Oh. I wonder if the Instapaper Safari bookmark method works in the same way..?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    Much appreciated! I couldn't get the Instapaper code posted here to work but this method worked perfectly for Pocket.
    Oh. I wonder if the Instapaper Safari bookmark method works in the same way..?
    No problem! Glad it worked for you. I imagine Instapaper works in a similar way, but I haven't used it since Pocket came out. I've already got 200 unread articles in Pocket I have to get back to some time!