Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use Your Voice to Google From Anywhere With 'VoiceSearch'

Default Use Your Voice to Google From Anywhere With 'VoiceSearch'

If you would like to be able to Google from anywhere – and even better, with your voice – then a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed VoiceSearch by iOS developer Guillermo Moran is something that you want to grab. With it, you can use your voice to perform a Google search without having to open a Web browser and type in your query in the Google search bar.

VoiceSearch is used with Activator, a free application by Ryan Petrich that listens for specific user-invoked gestures to perform actions chosen by the user. After setting an Activator action to use with VoiceSearch, the user can then invoke their chosen action to launch the VoiceSearch interface and start Google-searching with their voice. The interface is clean and simple, and looks like the screenshots shown above.

The user can tap on the ‘cancel’ button to cancel their voice query, or they can tap on the ‘done’ button after speaking to launch their default Web browser with their vocal question loaded up in the Google search results. Saying, "This is a test for ModMyi" will yield this result:

The feature is great to have for devices that don’t have Siri or Siri dictation installed on them. If you do have Siri dictation, you will have to tap on a text field and then tap on the microphone key to perform what this jailbreak tweak does without all the extraneous taps – even if you do have Siri on your device, VoiceSearch could be better for you since it requires less steps to use.

If you are using Ryan Petrich’s BrowserChooser jailbreak tweak, the VoiceSearch tweak will open whatever browser you have set as your default Web browser. In this instance, Google Chrome was selected as our default browser, so Google Chrome was launched with our voice query. If you don’t use BrowserChooser, Safari will open up with your query as expected.

The tweak has no options to configure except for selecting the Activator action you want to use with it. If you want an easy way to use Google hands-free, then this tweak works great and is worth looking into.

Name: VoiceSearch
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: Activator
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Guillermo Moran
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Sources: Guillermo Moran
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Huh, what a nice alternative. I'd rather go through with installing a Siri port to have Siri though bc it does more than this of course. That's pretty cool though.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Agree with ya there Annie but hard to find a good one. And spire well memory hog!!

Thanks

I use Ac!d. It's pretty darn good and it's free. I like it better than Spire. I use 3 Little Pigs server and it's going pretty well so far.

Thanks

No server downtime? I'll have to check out acid

Thanks

I wouldn't say there isn't a server down time. 3 little pigs is like that. But if you want you can try wordjelly's server. I didn't like it though, Siri gave me some weird responses with wordjelly's server (like I said "Schedule an appointment" and she said "What's your last name?") so I switched back to 3 little pigs.

Edit: Wordjelly never has server down time. But it can do a lot of what the "normal" Siri can do.

Thanks

Ok cool thank ya

Nice tweak! This is faster and more reliable than Siri.

Thanks

Well, it does considerably less than Siri. But in terms of dictation function it's likely great.

This has to be better than Voice Actions,It was a Total WASTE of $4.99.I still think that Siri would be a good app to have with this free Voice Search,I have been looking at finding a reliable Siri severer for reasonable fee.I have been using Google Search and it seems to be fairly faster than using Google in Safari.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Great tweak. It's nice that it works with BrowserChanger as well. I liked BrowserChanger better because it supports more browsers like PerfectBrowser.
    Last edited by stryker_tc; 06-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.

a great defect: when no internet connection available, voicesearch window takes over any & all other buttons that you cant cancel or even turn your phone off! had to switch it into DFU mode to cancel my search!
    Last edited by mohamedberry; 07-01-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks

Couldn't you just have done a hard reset rather than putting it into DFU.

I just open up safari, click on the google search box and click the mic button next to space bar

Quote Originally Posted by Mariousmc View Post
    I just open up safari, click on the google search box and click the mic button next to space bar
    How do you get this mic button?

Quote Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
    How do you get this mic button?
    I've always had it. I have a 4S and I'm on 5.0.1 with Siri enabled

Why bother with this if you have siri? Not being sarcastic. Just a real question. Siri can search google as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariousmc View Post
    I've always had it. I have a 4S and I'm on 5.0.1 with Siri enabled
    i wish this worked with a siri-like button instead of activator.

well, at least, annie's happy.

Thanks

Hm? Me? I'm lost lol. Haven't seen this thread in a little while.