+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Search and Siri Go Head-to-Head; Who Wins?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Android -> Nuff said.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Android -><- Apple.

Nuff said.

Thanks

A nice comparison…reminds me of the one comparing Microsoft's voice app which was embarrassingly bad. Overall these seemed equally useful. Google a fraction of a second faster and better voice, Siri better pronunciation of names and better presentation. The important thing is neither screwed up; both seem very useful in real situations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

alanjf (06-30-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    once again there goes android copying apple smh

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acevedo422 View Post
    once again there goes android copying apple smh
    Bro you do realize Apple is not the first to use voice activation right? And they are not the first to do everything. Really I don't think they are the first to do anything. They just perfect everything they do as well as sue everyone for everything and claim they were the first. I do love my iPhone and iMac but this is getting out if hand and once again I will point out that if it wasn't for Windows Apple would be dead right now so give credit where its due but Apple doesn't do that do they?

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CraZyJaVieR View Post
    siri all the way because its from apple xD
    What ever happened to evaluating a product based on it's merits, rather than simply by who made it?

Quote Originally Posted by HarlemState View Post
    I love how you got Google vs Siri on a G-Nexus vs iPhone4s??LOL! Fu*k outta here lol, siri all day baby, specially when its been raped by Cydia, eewwweeeee
    Are you really this stupid? This was a software level comparison, not a hardware one. This will be on any Android-based device running the appropriate version OS. It's not available in just one specific device despite the OS version which is the case with Siri.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Why even do a review? LMFAO :P

Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - California Court Grants Apple Ban On Sale of Galaxy Nexus

Cant buy them anyways :P and one of the patents is about the voice search DOH!!!! LOL :P
    Again, this was a software level comparison, so it applies to ANY android device running the appropriate version of the OS. It doesn't have to be a Samsung made device. Also, it appears you can still order that device online.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Ok my opinion so I could be wrong and feel free to correct me if I em but when he asked the phones to search for the bulldog pictures isnt the google search phone obviously going to show photos since its using the web and Siri is a phone feature it self and when I mean it self I mean it's not Connect to the web unless you tell it to?? As for the google search being always connected or not again not sure but if it is wouldn't that just eat your data plan away??
    Actually Siri does communicate with a remote server to do it's thing too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

siri itself is may not be as good as Google search. There are some really useful jailbreak tweaks that make siri work just like and better then google search. Siri is still in beta, but apple will make siri eventually as good to better then google search

Banned
    Thanks

Siri has been really stupid lately. I asked "is it gonna be cold tomorrow?" and Siri replied "no, 4 degrees isn't that cold"
    Anything is better than Siri if that's the stupid answer it gives.
    Google Search and Siri Go Head-to-Head; Who Wins?-img_0230.png Google Search and Siri Go Head-to-Head; Who Wins?-img_0231.png
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 07-01-2012 at 10:14 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lets see how well that android works after a couple of months of use. They slow down tremendously from the time of purchase to a few months of use. iPhone has never slowed down for me. I've had both, still say iPhone wins hands down on everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Marley View Post
    You got to be kidding me. I will say this in the nicest way I can without trying to insult you, but it did state in the article that this was a "comparison test between both an iPhone 4S running iOS 6 Beta 2 and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1 Jellybean with their voice assistants". Now to me this means that while at the moment this might be the only device loaded with this feature, it certainly won't be the last, unless Apple searches for an injunction against Samsung or Google for Android 4.1 or the voice assistants.

Looking at this more objectively than what most of you "fan boys" seem to be, the Android (actual program name?) Voice Assistants' response time seems to be quicker, delivering the requested information faster with minimal effort. The iPhone seems to take longer, but keep in mind that it also adds and extra little blurb at the beginning of the response to each request, like "Here is the weather for today..." before it displays the information. Yes, the look is more polished but that means little when you are requesting info.

I like the fact that Voice Assistants will actually display the web info instead of just requesting if you want to check the web. I can't tell you how many times I have been annoyed by "would you like me to search the web?" and I don't have time to sift through the links. But I assume that this is more easily done with Google due to the origin of their business being a Global search engine power-house.

So with that being said, both have their pros and cons. I'm not going to say that either really have a "one up" on the other. But here is one thing to think about that was not shown. When I think of a personal assistant, as Siri has so many times been refered to as, I think of asking the "assistant" to do an action that I want to automate. An example of this would be like, "Open [Application name]" or "Turn on/off Wifi/Bluetooth". These are commands that should have been included to help streamline the users experience. These are basic things that the operating system already understands and would be simple enough to incorporate.

K, my rant is done. Thanks for listening...
    The ability to open apps is included in ios 6 you can say things like "Open TempleRun" and it will instantly do it. The reason it wasn't compared is because clearly the reviewer was a fandroid routing for google and never explored siris other useful features such as setting a route to "X Street", Emails, Text messaging as well as its sense of humour; "Tell me a joke?","Sing me a song","What's the meaning of life","How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?" I could go on and on and on...So I shall playing music, tweeting, facebooking, phone calling, finding a good place to eat, finding a good movie and do much more. Also before you accuse me of being an "Apple fanboy" I want you to know that I'm typing this using google chrome for ios like the rest of the world (it's the top rated free app at the moment in case you haven't realised). What I will say though is before Siri no phones truly nailed voice recognition after Siri android (As well as Samsung) have both attempted to make cheap knock-offs of BETA software so since its not perfect yet (yes I just said something Apple made is not yet perfect) and others are trying to copy imperfect software the jokes on them...

Thanks

Default reply
    Quote Originally Posted by CraZyJaVieR View Post
    siri all the way because its from apple xD
    apple fanboy, get your head out the cloud, let the phones speak for themselves,...

......google wins

Thanks

Sorry, but your analysis is a bit off. Multiple results from your tests were obviously incorrect.

Test #:
    1) Weather: No, the results began at the same time (bings). Also, Siri was printing the question, then the spoken word, then showed & spoke the results. Google Search (GS) only showed & spoke results. Finally, Siri provided BOTH more written and more spoken information than GS.
    2) Reminder: 100% INCORRECT. Siri had set the timer in operation well before GS which appeared to have a processing bar "still working".
    3) Athlete Height: Siri provided more (written) information than GS. You can't dismiss the written results and only focus on spoken...especially when dealing with fractions of a second for information retrieval.
    4) Film Reminder: The results, or actually the follow-up question/info, came up at the same time. Since you're dealing with spoken commands, OS failed as the follow-up was point and click only.

Additionaly, your comment(s) of the results looking "as pretty" on "Siri" is a bit back-handish. The data provided by Siri is more informational and in-depth. This was true for weather, score, player info and pictures of bulldogs.

Those were some pretty big "oops" on your analysis of your own tests. Your final comment of a "complete blow-out" is 100% wrong. Based on your tests I could see giving a slight edge to GS, but your objective analysis and objective results do not reflect as much (ie, a lack of objective analysis).

If you're going to perform a publicly posted comparison and present it as objective then you should be at a higher standard than a beginners approach.

Otherwise, your analysis looks fine (and that would be sarcasm).
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 07-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this review makes no sense, all he is doing is testing the server's speed and the phones processing speed in my opinion, not the quality of the assistant. how many iphones have siri queries occurring vs google handling jellybean requests? as a personal assistant i actually need it to complete operations such as setting up an appointment by voice. when he asked for a reminder to be setup the android phone just opened up an app and requiring you to fill in fields. i definitely have to hand it to google for the image search though. i really hate that siri asks you if you want to search the web when you specifically request for a search. this reviewer is obviously biased... very disappointing, i hope to see a fair review by someone soon. he barely touches on the concept of assistance like sending sms, emailing, reserving a table at a restaurant, and such.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    What ever happened to evaluating a product based on it's merits, rather than simply by who made it?

Are you really this stupid? This was a software level comparison, not a hardware one. This will be on any Android-based device running the appropriate version OS. It's not available in just one specific device despite the OS version which is the case with Siri.

Again, this was a software level comparison, so it applies to ANY android device running the appropriate version of the OS. It doesn't have to be a Samsung made device. Also, it appears you can still order that device online.
    Sorry, alanjf, but the person doing the test or comparison is/was not aware it is a software comparison. If it were, then he wouldn't base it on the speed of the results from two different pieces of hardware. And he WOULD consider the information presented both spoken and on the screen. If the "tester" was aware it was a software test, then Siri would obviously have won since Siri provided more information and was more integrated for voice (see the test for the "filming reminder").

Agreed to other comments on Siri asking if you want to search the web. I don't understand why that would (not) be an option.
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 07-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Siri has been really stupid lately. I asked "is it gonna be cold tomorrow?" and Siri replied "no, 4 degrees isn't that cold"
    Anything is better than Siri if that's the stupid answer it gives.
    Attachment 596018 Attachment 596019
    Are you serious? Pick up a dictionary and look for "humorous"!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwine View Post
    You don't have to hold down the home button for Siri, just hold the phone up to your ear
    and it will activate, just saying
    LOL that was the first thing I thought when reading the article - just hold the phone to your ear and ask it whatever.

Thanks

At the end, Google search will win, because the main theme is to get results, which means that the one with better search functionality will end the battle!

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

Not all the time. Google may win at certain areas, but Wolfram Alpha data are sometimes more accurate than a simple Google Search. Also, siri tends to give out more information than what you asked for. The problem with google, is that they are so concerned with search, they forget what we need is solid info.

Thanks

oh come on guys, let the video speak for itself, google clearly did a faster search than apple did. it is what it is, looks like even when you're a winner, your considered a looser. google>apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadadman View Post
    oh come on guys, let the video speak for itself, google clearly did a faster search than apple did. it is what it is, looks like even when you're a winner, your considered a looser. google>apple
    Google was not clearly the winner.

Siri got (started) results faster in some of the video.
    Siri supplied equal or more information in almost all the video.
    This was an audio search. Siri continued with audio search when getting addtional details, google waited for touch interface response.

So, yes, let the video speak for itself. Making this a toss-up depending on what the viewer is looking for:
    • Complete info/additional info: Siri (exs: bulldogs, weather, athlete info)
    • Results starting first: Google
    • Audio Search: Siri (since Google failed at follow-up)

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12