+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Users on T-Mobile Get to Keep Legacy Data Plans

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Thanks to iOS developer @unimp0rtanttech , it has been discovered that T-Mobile subscribers who are currently running on legacy data plans will be allowed to keep their existing plans when
    Thanks

Default iPhone Users on T-Mobile Get to Keep Legacy Data Plans

Thanks to iOS developer @unimp0rtanttech, it has been discovered that T-Mobile subscribers who are currently running on legacy data plans will be allowed to keep their existing plans when they switch to T-Mobile’s upcoming iPhone compatible HSPA+ network later this year. This is great news for those who were worried that they would be forced into tiered data plans similar to those offered by other carriers.

The whole ordeal is pretty big news for many T-Mobile customers as it means that anyone who is still using one of T-Mobile’s old $5 unlimited 2G/EDGE data plans will be able to get unlimited HSPA+ 4G for $5 on their iPhone later in the year after T-Mobile finishes refarming their 1900 MHz spectrum.

The following tweets confirmed the information:

Looks like many existing T-Mobile customers who suffered slower internet speeds finally have something to look forward to.

Source: Twitter via 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 06-28-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Wow..now thats a deal! AT&T and Verizon could learn from this move. Wonder how they will challenge such a deal? Oh yeah they wont haha! Almost wish I stayed with T-Mo..I would have been on my 5th year by now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have 3 line with that plan. =). I was tired with the slow data and was planning on switching when the iPhone 5 came out but I guess I won't have to.

Thanks

It's like an honor system with T-Mobile: I never/rarely abuse my unlimited data access, and they won't charge me ridiculous prices or fees to use it. There's a mutual respect and sense of trust between T-Mobile and their customers; something that doesn't quite exist with any of the other carriers.

Also, @bigboyz...with T-Mobile, loyalty SERIOUSLY pays off. I left T-Mobile once for 2 months to go to AT&T for the 3G; when I came back, they let me back into the then-still-legacy $5 unlimited data plan again. At this point, if I were forced to switch carriers for some awful reason, I would only go prepaid. I couldn't handle AT&T's ********

Thanks

Lightbulb Important Carrier Questions
    I am excited for this roll out! I can't wait to see my E go to 3G. I am in Michigan, is anyone aware of any websites or blogs that offer updates on the progress/locations completed for the data re-farming? Will T-mobile deliver carrier settings instead of having us manually enter them. Wonder if iPhone users will be able to successfully send MMS messages outside of iMessage.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can send MMS messages and receive them just fine on T-Mobile's standard SMS system. You just have to have the right carrier bundle installed and the right settings in place.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is great. Hopefully they stick to this. In my area, Tmobile is not too bad, I get 5 bars where I need it and I don't do anything that requires that much speed, so Edge isn't too bad either.

I'm really glad Tmobile plans to do this. I really hope they stick to this.
    8 years have just flown by o__o

Green Apple
    Thanks
    great news. cant wait to actually use 3g speed on my iphone 4. keeping my tzones unlimited data is icing on the cake.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what about the really old $4.99 t-zone?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,513 Times in 5,840 Posts

Yippie, more great news confirming what T-Mo users have been waiting on forever.
    Here in the Phoenix area we occasionally are getting 3G speed. Can't wait.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm hoping T-Mobile will keep the unlimited data plan available when they get full 3G/4G service for iPhone. My plan with VZW is ending soon and since they're cutting off unlimited data if upgrading to the new iPhone with a discounted pricing, I was already looking to switch back to T-Mobile. I've always loved T-Mobile and the customer service, just not the 2G. Definitely would be worth paying for an unlocked iPhone to use with the cheap unlimited plans offered.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,513 Times in 5,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I'm hoping T-Mobile will keep the unlimited data plan available when they get full 3G/4G service for iPhone. My plan with VZW is ending soon and since they're cutting off unlimited data if upgrading to the new iPhone with a discounted pricing, I was already looking to switch back to T-Mobile. I've always loved T-Mobile and the customer service, just not the 2G. Definitely would be worth paying for an unlocked iPhone to use with the cheap unlimited plans offered.

Ditto, I love T-Mo, reason I have battled with 2G for years. Cheapest rates, no data limits, great customer service.

I read in another thread that an old T-Mo customers that switched to AT&T and then was able to return to T-Mo service with the same rate plan they had from being a customer before. Long term "Customer Loyalty Program" is was the OP posted.
    Why not go to T-Mo chat and ask a rep to be sure Annie.

I spoke to T-Mo and yes, still will have Unlimited data. Yay................

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion B! I still have till November or December before my VZW contract is up, so I'll have to see what's going on then. But yes, I love T-Mo. When I was with them, they called me when I was sending too many SMS's (apparently on a Windows phone AIM uses SMS rather than data unlike the iPhone) and racked up $400. They went out of their way to call me and change my text package to unlimited just so I only paid a small amount for that month, then they cancelled the package immediately after the billing cycle on their own without me having to call back. How awesome is that? I can't wait to switch back to T-Mo.

Thanks

Sure. They will keep their unlimited data plans. Until people start abusing it and then they will probably throttle like everyone else...

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone seen the South Park episode where they go to, and then destroy Walmart....because of its low prices? Then it quickly shows them picking a new small company, which then grows into a huge company, just like Walmart, which they then also destroy? I think this is a perfect metaphor in this case.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parahelium View Post
    what about the really old $4.99 t-zone?
    Yes! This is for the $4.99 T-Zones, $5.99 T-Zones, and $5.00 web2go (as well as any others).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Sure. They will keep their unlimited data plans. Until people start abusing it and then they will probably throttle like everyone else...
    But for 5$ unlimited, I'll be fine with throttling. If Tmo can be nice to me and let me keep unlimited data for $5 a month, I am fine with accepting the consequences for "abusing" the unlimitedness. I've been on 2G/EDGE for this long already, I don't mind being throttled down to those speeds if I use way too much data - all for still $5 mind you.

For $5 unlimited 3G/HSPA+, I'll be nice and try to avoid "abusing" it anyway. I appreciate Tmo doing this, so I'll try to play fair to show my appreciation.