+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Thor' Will Enable Wi-Fi When Specific Apps Are Opened

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default 'Thor' Will Enable Wi-Fi When Specific Apps Are Opened

Wi-Fi is an important aspect of any iOS device, but wouldn’t be cool to have even more control over it than you already do? Thor is a new jailbreak tweak by iOS developer ClausCartel that has just hit Cydia. With it, you can control your Wi-Fi based on applications instead of having to enable and disable your Wi-Fi manually from the Settings application or with third party toggles.

What happens when you download Thor is you will find a new preferences pane in the Settings application (shown above) that has a switch for enabling and disabling the tweak on demand and many other switches for some miscellaneous applications. The switches for the applications can be turned on or off depending on whether you have these applications on your device or not. There would be no reason to enable the switches for the applications in the list that aren't on your device.

If for any reason you disable Wi-Fi – maybe to disable some notifications for a period of time, Wi-Fi will be automatically re-enabled as soon as you open an application that you have enabled from Thor’s preferences pane. So if your Wi-Fi is off and you have App Store enabled from Thor’s preferences pane, Wi-Fi will be enabled within a second of launching the App Store application.

The tweak is actually a pretty good idea, but as it sits right now, the developer should rethink the preferences pane. It would be more useful if the tweak took a roll call of every application on your device and made a list out of those instead of making a pre-defined list of applications that the tweak can work with. Right now, the tweak's preferences pane includes support for all of the following applications:
    • WifiFoFum
    • App Store
    • Cydia
    • Safari
    • YouTube
    • Twitter
    • BuddyRush
    • Dragon Dictation
    • Facebook
    • iNet
    • Dragon Search

Even though the list is limited, it includes some very popular applications that should at least make some users happy. The tweak is free, so there is nothing to lose from giving it a try. It will be best used for people that disable Wi-Fi and forget to turn it back on.

Name: Thor
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: ClausCartel
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-26-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I think a better option would be to enable turning it on/off based on the geofencing features now. That applies to Bluetooth as well. I almost always am enabling one and disabling the other when leaving/arriving from/to home/work/etc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Random name for it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

@kraXik yeah random name lol

@mortopher VERY AGREE!

& a little input. i would like the developer to add FACETIME or Phone App (seems like my wife loves to ft me when I dont want to, and when I turn it off, she sees when its turned off) I would love to disable this and play my online poker on my phone... and get some peace from the yap yap

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by takenlife View Post
    @kraXik yeah random name lol

@mortopher VERY AGREE!

& a little input. i would like the developer to add FACETIME or Phone App (seems like my wife loves to ft me when I dont want to, and when I turn it off, she sees when its turned off) I would love to disable this and play my online poker on my phone... and get some peace from the yap yap
    Haha I like the input!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Disable wifi would be great when we close program

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 1,696 Posts

No I won't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    No I won't.
    Hahaha. You'll probably theme this tweak and everyone will ask for it!

I would love this to disable WiFi when closing the app. Pretty great for free tho!

Thanks
    wow awesome tweak, great way to save battery. just wondering how is an app "enabled" mean?
    does it mean the app is running in the main screen only, or also the app running in the background. It's pretty useless if it also enable wifi while the app is running in the background, isnt it?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

how much batter power does wifi consume? i always leave my wifi on. hmmm ... maybe that's why i only make it through half a day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NogoNogo View Post
    wow awesome tweak, great way to save battery. just wondering how is an app "enabled" mean?
    does it mean the app is running in the main screen only, or also the app running in the background. It's pretty useless if it also enable wifi while the app is running in the background, isnt it?

Basically as soon as you launch and app that is selected to ENABLE wifi it then turns on. Once you close the app your wifi will still be ENABLED. That's where toggles come in handy. Sbsettings, powercenter, etc; or you can just turn it off manually through settings.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    how much batter power does wifi consume? i always leave my wifi on. hmmm ... maybe that's why i only make it through half a day.
    I believe that if theres no connection to the wifi network the wifi in your device is most likely turned off or draining very slowly. If its connected to the wifi network then there is quite a good amount of battery drain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    Depends on usage, Wifi constantly beams to connect.
    Ive found that if I don't use my phone very much during the day and wifi is on it will be like 90% by the time I get home.(working like 7 hours at work)
    If I use it consistently then it'll be more like 50-60%. Just depends man; apples done a great job on battery life with the addition of IOS5.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Basically as soon as you launch and app that is selected to ENABLE wifi it then turns on. Once you close the app your wifi will still be ENABLED. That's where toggles come in handy. Sbsettings, powercenter, etc; or you can just turn it off manually through settings.

Oh ok, thanks, got it . Now I see the idea for ppl asking for the function to disable wifi when closing the app

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    We can't expect Thor to disable wifi immediately when we closa an application because of multitask.

Sometimes I copy an information from safari to note and wouldn't be great to have wifi off when we come back to app.
    So I was thinking about 60 seconds default of Internet activity and then disable wifi ( option do define time)
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Adriafix; 06-27-2012 at 03:47 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Random name for it.
    Right!! It should have been called. Wifirine😄

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's rubbish. It doesn't turn it off again ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NogoNogo View Post
    Oh ok, thanks, got it . Now I see the idea for ppl asking for the function to disable wifi when closing the app
    Anytime bro

Thanks

In the future they should update this to disable wifi when the app is closed. Only when that happens i'll use this app. Right now, got no use for it